Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Default Windows 11

Anybody excited?? Will windows 11 be the one to tank? Or will it improve upon Windows 10...

---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Was going to start this thread like how I started the Windows 10 one but actually waiting on the notification before doing so . Anyways since you started it I'll put my two cents on what I get from the Microsoft conference and reviews.

First off I usually skip the other version of Windows (meaning Windows XP - the best, Vista - the worst, Windows 7 - the next best, Windows 8 - among the worst and Windows 10 - it ok and Windows 11 ...). I for one updated to Windows 10 day one when it was released for free upgrade to Windows 7 as I had a hunch it would be good and have not been disappointed after they fixed a few minor bugs. Windows 11 looks promising though but I am not going for the day one upgrade this time because since this Covid thing I realize a trend in major software's like games having day one issues because of majority of developers having to work from home and the challenges with effective communication and all. Really does seem like a solid upgrade if it works as advertised, so lets see how it goes in a few weeks.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Anybody excited?? Will windows 11 be the one to tank? Or will it improve upon Windows 10...
    My first concern is "I wonder IF this is an extra money making project". What new useful technology is associated with 11? Filesystem/Network control/etc.

Does it bring a new type of user interface? or a reboot of what was tried in 8?

We will just have to wait and see.

However, I am not exited, because of the direction 10 wanted to go in recently. The last two major updates on 10 each added a new app/feature that I researched without success on how to Uninstall. I like my windows uncluttered, easier to track processes, etc. I am talking about a "meet now" app/feature and a "news and interest" app/feature that I only can hide.

Just to understand where I am coming from. I deleted/uninstalled most of the apps I do not need from the start bar like "News", and others (don't remember them) I prefer it uncluttered. Even though I watch news, I prefer to use my own choice of news, further more the original "news" app constantly downloads, and stores a buffer of feeds on the drive. I do not need this. Still on how I stay: I tried to delete the Windows internet browser, whatever it is called now, but I only was able to delete the shortcut to the browser. I prefer another choice of browser, plus I have confidence in the security of other browsers over the Windows one. After ever major update, the shortcuts to that browser pop up back, and sometime it is set back to default browser, and I have to quickly remedy that.

Back to the "meet now" app feature update in Windows 10.... I was only able to hide the app icon, no uninstall, why. I assume it is a Zoom like app but again, I do not need, let me install what I need. I do not know what information this app is accessing, even when it is hidden.

Same story with the "News and interests": I did not ask for or specify any interests, yet I only can hide the app icon. What resources are being used up. Windows is become more windows-y. Bloated and may potentially have security issues because of bloatware. Too bad they cut support for 10 in just a few years. Hopefully, ubuntu is more mainstream by then.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

I am still on Windows 7 and will upgrade to 10 when I build my new PC then eventually upgrade to 11 or maybe go straight to it ...who knows.

However my concern with Windows is pretty much the same as Crosswire..it is very spyware like. Some Microsoft apps permissions being reset after updates and some you cannot uninstall at all. Also with the Home version of 11 you will require internet and a Microsoft account to activate.

Also some of users my not be able to upgrade unless you have a Trusted Platform module installed or integrated in the motherboard which is unfortunate.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

New preview build released by Microsoft.

"The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I am still on Windows 7 and will upgrade to 10 when I build my new PC then eventually upgrade to 11 or maybe go straight to it ...who knows.

However my concern with Windows is pretty much the same as Crosswire..it is very spyware like. Some Microsoft apps permissions being reset after updates and some you cannot uninstall at all. Also with the Home version of 11 you will require internet and a Microsoft account to activate.

Also some of users my not be able to upgrade unless you have a Trusted Platform module installed or integrated in the motherboard which is unfortunate.
    Bro, I certainly hope your machine does not go on the Internet directly or on a network with other machines. I would rather my machine phone home with items not personally identifiable to me than be swiss cheese.

Year Vulnerabilities Average Score
    2021 133 7.86
    2020 386 7.42

https://stack.watch/product/microsoft/windows-7/

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Bro, I certainly hope your machine does not go on the Internet directly or on a network with other machines. I would rather my machine phone home with items not personally identifiable to me than be swiss cheese.

Year Vulnerabilities Average Score
    2021 133 7.86
    2020 386 7.42

https://stack.watch/product/microsoft/windows-7/
    It seems being online is the issue as Windows 10 not that much better.

https://stack.watch/product/microsoft/windows-10/
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

While money making and forced obsolescence are hand-in-hand, I understand that HARDWARE upgrades are needed to mitigate potential vulnerabilities. If you are going to whine about Windows then WINE. Switch to the Penguin - any flavour. Or go Mac.....bleh...

Anyways. The majority market share is Windows - so to troubleshoot and be familiar I use it. That and games really. It's hard to switch to Linux totally for me due to the differences and lack of certain features. Last Debian/Ubuntu I had working and customized crashed due to dual booting. But yeah...

MS is trying to be like Linux/Mac in how they deliver things. But from a friend that's a Mac user - the UI stays the same with every update - just a facelift. You know what to expect when you move between Macs, unlike Windows where the facelift gives new everything. The move to a "cloud" platform where they offload the work from their servers was smart - but it should be something you can fully opt out of.

There's too much to discuss on this topic - but I'm on 10 and not moving to 11 until it's tested. I'm on 10 because it's what's shipped with my devices (except desktop). The license I have for my desktop was from the upgrade between 7 and 10 like a lot of persons.

What they should do is make it cheaper so that everyone can get it. Home with it's stripped features should be like $50-$100 (instead of $140). Pro should be like $150-$300 (starts at $200). They should also have either payment plans or subscriptions that include the OS. But - their business model and they're making money so....Yeah.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I still use Win7, - its a media center pc, it just plays media for the most part - and does it well
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

It seems being online is the issue as Windows 10 not that much better.

https://stack.watch/product/microsoft/windows-10/
    Hahahahaha, thats so true. Windows 10 at least gets updates though