Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux will have 20% desktop market share by 2008?

igodit Guest

Default Linux will have 20% desktop market share by 2008?

"Siemens Business Systems, after conducting an extensive survey on non technical workers ("secretaries and managers, not IT people&quot is predicting that the Linux desktop will capture 20% of the market for desktop computers in large enterprises within the next 5 years. Senior program manager Duncan McNutt, who has overseen Siemens's testing of Linux desktops with users and administrators in enterprise settings, believes that the Ximian desktop and application suite, running on either SuSE or Red Hat, requires two days of training, which is the same as what most enterprises budget for a Windows/MS Office version upgrade. Interestingly, they used Ximian Desktop, instead of KDE, because Gnome, particularly Ximian's version, was "different enough" to set user expectations that the experience would be less like Windows. "

Default Re:Linux will have 20% desktop market share by 2008?

I like KDE but all the signs are saying GNOME is it for the average user.

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonflight
    KDE is more for the average user than GNOME is.
    Good thing you arent the average user.....or....are you telling us supn..... ;D
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 24, 2022 at 10:18 PM.

XD2 is what the report is about... NOT GENERIC GNOME. GENERIC GNOME is primitive.
    Now as far as XD2 is concerned... it is EXCELENT... I used to install Ximian's desktop back when it was called Helix-Gnome... it rocked then it is uber now.

GNOME by itself was originally a shoddy hack together job done by people in response to KDE and their fear of it depending on QT (originally QT wasn't free). It still carries that shoddy hack together feel. Without the professional contributions of evolution and nautillus, GNOME would still be pure garbage. Not to mention Redh** rediculous inhouse development attempts at enhancing GNOME.

I would recommend KDE to anyone. I refuse to treat average computer users like dummys and prescibe primitive GNOME for them.

--regards
    Gillion
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 24, 2022 at 10:18 PM. Reason: fixed quote

I loved HELIX gnome, it was super.
    When I heard and read about the acquisition of helix by ximian though, I started to look elsewhere.

XD2 is what the report is about... NOT GENERIC GNOME. GENERIC GNOME is primitive.
    Now as far as XD2 is concerned... it is EXCELENT... I used to install Ximian's desktop back when it was called Helix-Gnome... it rocked then it is uber now.
    Gnome is not primitive. It is simple and predictable ... like a toaster. The kind of thing that your grandma would love.

KDE, on the other hand, tends towards being very complex. This is why I say it is for power users. Split windows in konqueror. Transparent FTP support in most KDE apps. Webdav built into konqueror. How many people will be using that?

Gnome will be easier to use and get used to, for the average desktop user. I believe that the studies will validate my opinion in the future.

we need to do a test... just the two of us... we get 20 suckers, users, put them infront of GNOME, KDE, and XD2. Then ask them a few questions and evaluate them. Sounds good ;D

As for some of the features available in KDE, have you seen a MacOSX interface lately. A good portion of the stuff ,features and usablility, availale in MacOSX is available including transparent features (no pun intended)in KDE especially XD2. I benchmark desktop systems interface , application and easy of use againts MAC systems. GNOME is no where near as seamlessly simple as MAC's designs.

We need to discuss this in the real one of these days... should be fun ;D

--regards
    Gillion

I want to be a sucker user. ;D

Gillion,
    I'm game. We need to agree on a methodology, identify our victims subjects and decide where, when and how long. If we play our cards right, maybe we could get sponsored to do it.

Gillion,
    I'm game. We need to agree on a methodology, identify our victims subjects and decide where, when and how long. If we play our cards right, maybe we could get sponsored to do it.

(Raising my hand like a student in a grade 5 class) oooo ooooo ooo oo ooo
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 24, 2022 at 10:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote