Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi6 ?????

Default Wifi6 ?????

Wondering if Flow or Digicel will offer Wifi6 anytime soon???
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Wondering if Flow or Digicel will offer Wifi6 anytime soon???
    Assuming you're referring to in-premise WiFi? I've always used my own WiFi routers and not depend on an ISPs modem/Wifi router combo. Costs more but gives me control over certain settings etc. I currently have WiFi 6 (AX) as my primary mesh and WiFi 5 (AC) as my secondary mesh.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Assuming you're referring to in-premise WiFi? I've always used my own WiFi routers and not depend on an ISPs modem/Wifi router combo. Costs more but gives me control over certain settings etc. I currently have WiFi 6 (AX) as my primary mesh and WiFi 5 (AC) as my secondary mesh.
    Yea, but isn't part of WiFi6 also depending on the ISP and the speeds they offer..

Well WIFI 6 will make the ISP Modems bigger and more expensive so they would be running away from that right now. Wifi AC should be good for up to 100s of
    Megabits anyway and there are more devices that support it so they would not feel the need to upgrade.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Considering that the ISPs provide gigabit connections to their devices via LAN - I doubt they'll move to any newer equipment soon. Digicel is FTTH so no major threats there, but since flow uses HFC, I recommend using one of these.

https://a.co/d/4BcCqFx

https://a.co/d/eDgSNTz
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Yea, but isn't part of WiFi6 also depending on the ISP and the speeds they offer..
    Using WiFi 6 isn't dependent on the ISP's speeds ... it benefits from faster WiFi speeds. In other words, the typical bottle-neck for Internet usage is the ISP speed package that one has and having WiFi 6, which is fast, doesn't change that. WiFi 5 will easily satisfy the majority of residential requirements. What WiFi 6 does though is provide a faster local network speed and throughput for more devices so using WiFi 6 will allow for faster access to local devices like NAS, local media streaming etc.

Theoretical speeds:
    WiFi 6 - 9.6Gbps
    WiFi 5 - 3.5Gbps
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Those theoretical speeds Definitely only on a whiteboard. The router/modem combos provided by the ISPs are definitely a serious bottleneck as they can't handle all the activity of multiple users, DHCP, wireless plus their core connectivity back to the ISPs.

Let me give you an example using Digicel+, their FTTH service. The original white modems provided did only 802.11G on 2.4 Ghz which means on average the most you would get is about ~50Mbps over wireless. If you had a 100Mbps connection the rest of it would never have been seen. You will even find that you have to restart the modem constantly if you using wireless and have multiple devices connected.

Do yourself a favour and follow Chris's advice, get your own modem and connect to the one of the Ethernet ports on the ISP provided device and even turn off the wireless on that device so resources aren't wasted. I have used my ISPs modem for anything other than making that initial physical connection to my home. The processors and memory within them are weak plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Those theoretical speeds Definitely only on a whiteboard. The router/modem combos provided by the ISPs are definitely a serious bottleneck as they can't handle all the activity of multiple users, DHCP, wireless plus their core connectivity back to the ISPs.

Let me give you an example using Digicel+, their FTTH service. The original white modems provided did only 802.11G on 2.4 Ghz which means on average the most you would get is about ~50Mbps over wireless. If you had a 100Mbps connection the rest of it would never have been seen. You will even find that you have to restart the modem constantly if you using wireless and have multiple devices connected.

Do yourself a favour and follow Chris's advice, get your own modem and connect to the one of the Ethernet ports on the ISP provided device and even turn off the wireless on that device so resources aren't wasted. I have used my ISPs modem for anything other than making that initial physical connection to my home. The processors and memory within them are weak plain and simple.
    This. Get you own Wifi 6 Router and just turn of the ISPs Wifi. This is the setup I have done for years. much simpler to control your own device.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

I use to always use my own wifi router and disable wifi from ISP ... But honestly the White Flow modem aint too bad... I get good range and over 100mbps on wifi.. It just isn't Wifi6 ...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I use to always use my own wifi router and disable wifi from ISP ... But honestly the White Flow modem aint too bad... I get good range and over 100mbps on wifi.. It just isn't Wifi6 ...
    If you're ok with the speeds and throughput with lots of devices on the ISPs WiFi then stick with it. If you have lots of devices and expect good speed for them then consider a separate router. Also keep in mind that all devices will need firmware updates at one point or another so hopefully the ISP keeps their modem/WiFi updated.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com