Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Still looking for a job

thanks ute - have a plan set out for commuting - things will work out. there were some tips that i got from an site that helped me get the job - hope it helps those still looking

1) CARRY UR TOOLS - in a technical, hands-on field, nothing says "im professional" more than carrying a toolkit with you. it leaves a good impression of preparedness and would also be useful in the event of a surprise practice test.

If you dont have one, build one -you'll need it later on anyway. It actually worked for me! when i went to the interview the head of ICT noticed that i was carrying my toolkit and asked why i carried it.. i said "for the practical exam" . he laughed and said "you didnt need to carry it you know, we would have provided you with the necessary tools", then i said "i carried it anyway so that im always prepared for anything that could happen" this of course made an impression on him.

2) STUDY AHEAD- Dnt mistake this for the average "practice mock interview questions".. but this is mostly in order to help answer technical questions. interviewers will always try gague your knowledge on technical terms and methods of implementation. its always wise to study ahead on terms you may need and re-familiarize yourself with terms and also methods of implementation.

this is 1 tip i got as well, if your applying for a networking job, look through some pass papers or some practice exams so that you can refresh your memory on things. in the interview, i was asked about my capabilities to set up and maintain the current network, so i asked about the equipment used, protocols, operating system and so on. so when they pulled up a scenario and asked me questions about terms i was able to answer them out of memory.

3) TRY TO REMEMBER NAMES- To give the greatest impression to your interviewers, do research on the company and try to remember the names of the persons who maybe interviewing you. This shows that you have prepared thoroughly and that you have an excellent memory. If you cant find names before hand then no problem - when you get on location, introduce yourself with a strong handshake and a smile, when they they introduce themselves, you should try remember their names from that point on. Its always good to know the name of the person who's question you are answering. It is even better when you remember their names on the second interview

this is something i always practice on my interviews. remembering the names of the persons who interview you is always a good thing. before i went in for my interview, i knew the names of the entire panel so it could address the answer of my questions to who had asked initially.

3) WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER- If you want them to remember you as a courteous, well mannered applicant - you should always thank your interviewers for shortlisting you. remember that there are thousands of persons who are applying for the same job so you should always let them know that you are thankful that they had selected you as a worthy candidate. after the interview shake the interviewer(s) hand(s) and thank them for calling - later on, remember to write and send a professional letter of appreciation (with no attachments) to them either through post or through e-mail

did this the monday morning after the interview and by that evening, i was called by the head of the IT Department complementing me on the letter and notifying me that had gotten the job.

hope this advice works for whoever tries it - cuz it sure worked for me!!
    Last edited by vylle; Jun 8, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Your perseverance has finally paid off, congrats.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

can i tell u! based on some statistics done on obtaining a job in a recession stricken country, the average individual will be successful on 1 out of 17 interviews. this was my 13th so im glad it didnt go all the way up to 17 and over.

17-to-one is the ratio of job interviews to job offers during a recession. During a recession, the average applicant will be interviewed for 17 different opportunities before he/she gets one job offer. When job openings are plentiful and candidates are in high demand, the ratio drops to 6-to-1, meaning it takes only 6 interviews to get an offer during the good times. The lesson here is that without interview skills, you'll waste 6 to 17 job opportunities before you get good enough at interviews to get an offer
    but thanks ute - appreciate the support
    Facebook || Twitter

I feel like I'm watching a reality show.lol. *munching on popcorn*

Congrats
    Last edited by Gnostic; Jun 8, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
    My Speakers Can't Live If The SubWoofer Doesn't Breathe -Gary Lawrence
    http://www.youtube.com/GaryLawrence0
    http://www.reverbnation.com/garylawrence
    http://www.online.com.jm

much appreciated.. the past year has felt like a reality show - with me hitting the harshness of reality, bickering of unemployment and thinking of new ways to hustle cash... i'd hate to watch it but now i want popcorn

i hope the rain calms down cuz jah know, i dont want 2 have to go 2 work everyday in dis heavy rain
    Facebook || Twitter

1) CARRY UR TOOLS - in a technical, hands-on field, nothing says "im professional" more than carrying a toolkit with you. it leaves a good impression of preparedness and would also be useful in the event of a surprise practice test.

If you dont have one, build one -you'll need it later on anyway. It actually worked for me! when i went to the interview the head of ICT noticed that i was carrying my toolkit and asked why i carried it.. i said "for the practical exam" . he laughed and said "you didnt need to carry it you know, we would have provided you with the necessary tools", then i said "i carried it anyway so that im always prepared for anything that could happen" this of course made an impression on him.

2) STUDY AHEAD- Dnt mistake this for the average "practice mock interview questions".. but this is mostly in order to help answer technical questions. interviewers will always try gague your knowledge on technical terms and methods of implementation. its always wise to study ahead on terms you may need and re-familiarize yourself with terms and also methods of implementation.

this is 1 tip i got as well, if your applying for a networking job, look through some pass papers or some practice exams so that you can refresh your memory on things. in the interview, i was asked about my capabilities to set up and maintain the current network, so i asked about the equipment used, protocols, operating system and so on. so when they pulled up a scenario and asked me questions about terms i was able to answer them out of memory.

3) TRY TO REMEMBER NAMES- To give the greatest impression to your interviewers, do research on the company and try to remember the names of the persons who maybe interviewing you. This shows that you have prepared thoroughly and that you have an excellent memory. If you cant find names before hand then no problem - when you get on location, introduce yourself with a strong handshake and a smile, when they they introduce themselves, you should try remember their names from that point on. Its always good to know the name of the person who's question you are answering. It is even better when you remember their names on the second interview

this is something i always practice on my interviews. remembering the names of the persons who interview you is always a good thing. before i went in for my interview, i knew the names of the entire panel so it could address the answer of my questions to who had asked initially.

3) WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER- If you want them to remember you as a courteous, well mannered applicant - you should always thank your interviewers for shortlisting you. remember that there are thousands of persons who are applying for the same job so you should always let them know that you are thankful that they had selected you as a worthy candidate. after the interview shake the interviewer(s) hand(s) and thank them for calling - later on, remember to write and send a professional letter of appreciation (with no attachments) to them either through post or through e-mail
    Congrats, I will definitely take the Steps you have above into consideration.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

got another call from my supervisor.. i start work monday morning so good luck to me. if no one minds (and if u do PM me) - im gunna close this thread
    Facebook || Twitter