Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still looking for a job

Default Still looking for a job

Hey guys - posted a thread sometime last year stating ma skills and so on but since then, i've struck out.. so i post once again hoping that someone sees something thats right for me.. im looking for a position i can learn in within company and grow with.

I'm a jack of all trades - im moderately skilled in PC Repairs, Networking, Server Administration, and Sales. i'm a utech graduate with a bachelors in computer information technology (Datacomm + Networking Major) and im currently taking CCNA and MCSE Training Classes so i have Some experience in building and configuring routers for LAN and WAN networks as well as Windows Server 2000/2003 active directory installation and user profile creation and maintenance.

outside of my qualifications - i have 3 years of sales experience, including 3 months professionally at digicel and 2 years on the side. i also have 1 year of experience as a part-time PC Repairman .

as i mentioned - im still training to be a network / System Administrator so an entry level position or something equivalent would be perfect. a good paycheck would be nice but at this point im just looking to get something to help me get by (it doesnt even have to be in IT - just as long as its something to get some funds) i've been sitting down waiting for a year so would really love to get something soon

thanks for any help or assistance that comes along
    Last edited by vylle; May 9, 2011 at 02:46 AM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

this is y when im done my study's i never go try get a job out here honestly my yute its really mess up that u hav all those qualification n still hav prob findin a job after young ppl like us spend so much money in school n still them cant give us a chance its hurt mi i really hope u can get a link
    Video Game Technician in Jamaica 3968609
    Ultra Aluminus Black Case/ASUS Rampage Formula 2 /Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 oc 3.6/ZALMAN CNPS9700/8GB G-Skill ripjaw DDR3 1600/EVGA GeForce GTX super oc 470 edition /SAMSUNG Black 32" Widescreen hdtv/etc/

well, i know im not the only one here in this situation. but what really stings is after a full year, there are going to be persons leaving school and getting jobs before me while i've been busting my hump trying to at least get my foot through the door.

well - im off to read yesterdays gleaner for anything
    Last edited by vylle; May 9, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by vylle View Post
    well, i know im not the only one here in this situation. but what really stings is after a full year, there are going to be persons leaving school and getting jobs before me while i've been busting my hump trying to at least get my foot through the door.

well - im off to read yesterdays gleaner for anything
    Hey, sorry to hear about your situation. I can only imagine how tough it must be.
    Have you considered starting personal projects. I can only talk about Web relating stuff as that's what I know. (Really not keen on the physical part of IT)
    At UWI, I never wanted to work and get a job. So I started little ventures and websites to try and make money on the side. Things didn't quite as planned, even though I make some pocket money monthly.
    So when I started to look a job, those side projects were actually what assisted me in landing something.
    So my advice, do what you can on the side. As you can make some $$, plus you can put it on your resume to increase your odds of the job.

Best wishes man.

i am doing stuff on the side - selling stuff here and on shopinJA actually adds to sales experience! people even call me and ask me to sell or look for items for them so in a sense it provides me with a little ever so often. i also help people who have problems with their androids based phones but thats more of a funded hobby. I even made a website that would give a full critique of Jamaican restaurants (cook shops, diners, cuisine restaurants) but sadly, the website went down because of lack of funding.

thing is - the side jobs not really cutting it because its not a dedicated source of income (which i need) and its not adding experience in the field i'm in (networking) and would like to be able to buy a car and be able to take care of myself fully
    Facebook || Twitter

i applied to another job just recently, - i saw a job posting for a systems admin job for garvey maceo - yeah its miles away from where i live in portmore and im not sure if the payscale is capable of facilitating a daily commute amongst all the other necessities.. but if im considered - i'm capable of doing the job and it will give me some solid experience if i get tru
    Last edited by vylle; May 10, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Facebook || Twitter

bwoy - jamaica have a way of mekin a ute feel well fool. Just heard some of the people i knew at utech who jus finish have full time job lock uppa lime an fujitsu while mi a sit down fi almost a year cya even get a sales or clerical job much less I.T.

mi a try fi get everyting sorted out wid certifications and even did interning at one place but it still kinda sad dat after all dis time i still cya get ma foot tru no door at all - like seh nuttin me a do good enough.. jah kno
    Last edited by vylle; May 11, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Facebook || Twitter

Vylle how many interviews have you done?
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

12 interviews, including first and second interviews out of the whole lot of companies that ive applied to (based on my inbox count, 107 applications sent). Sometimes i make it to second interviews, sometimes i only get one but for COJ i did around 3 of them.. (skill test -> panel interview -> individual interview).
    Last edited by vylle; May 13, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
    Facebook || Twitter

That should tell you something sir, qualifications arent your biggest problem maybe just maybe it has to do with the actual interview.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......