Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Cost of Ownership less for Linux

Default Total Cost of Ownership less for Linux

The total cost of ownership of a Linux based IT infrastructure is almost always less (when compared to equivalent MS solutions).

I've started this thread to just 'get the facts' out there.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

Default Re: Total Cost of Ownership less for Linux

I'm surprised.
    I thought there would have been at least a comment by now.
    www.plone.org

ok, i read the first post and was wondering where is the facts supporting ur thesis? i am still waiting!

Not always less. But it will pay back for itself over a period of time. First you would have to pay the developer to fix (write) programs to run on top of Linux "Most software was written for the win32 environment so you need to change that for linux cause it won't run out of the box". And then considering the viruses that plague M$$$ then uptime is always an issues especially with mission critical software. I am waiting to see more large cooperation put linux to used still. We need a JAMAICA LINUX WORLD SHOW. People wanna know what linux can do.
    This is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday and now you know why.
    What is BarterGeek.com?

But Flight what do u really wanna find out? Hope this link will help http://osdir.com/Article3992.phtml
    This is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday and now you know why.
    What is BarterGeek.com?

Jamaica linux world is a great idea... i could show off some stuff if it every comes around

of course the TCO is less. lets look at it in my case:

GRASS GIS, POSTGIS, GMT, GDAL,OGR & MAPSERVER: zilch
    Gentoo linux : zilch
    cost to install, configure & make sure everything works (I'll bill myself) $25,000

ArcGIS - ~$90,000 ($1500 US)

but, thats in my case.
    I guess it all depends on how you do your maths
    all the labours of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius, are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system, and that the whole temple of Man's achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins - Bertrand Russell

My thesis is best proven by choosing an environment and comparing.

my plan is to:
    1. develop profiles of typical IT usage in various organizations
    2. identify the required applications for a windows roll out and the equivalent linux roll out
    3. compare aquisition cost, training cost, customization costs

My thesis will either fall on its face or stand.

I'm in phase 1 now. But I'm pretty confident about the truth of my statement.

rhys,
    You're an example that helps to prove my these, so am I and the company I work with/for as well as other places where I have done linux work.

I just need to gather more examples/scenarios.
    Last edited by pigeonflight; Mar 14, 2005 at 09:10 AM.
    www.plone.org

Go here (http://www.cyber.com.au/) and click on the following title:

Linux vs. Windows TCO Comparison: The Final Numbers Are In

You can use that as the guide for your own TCO study. It might require a little more work than you had planned on doing, but it should add more value to your effort if you use this as your guide. It is worth it too. We can all learn a thing or two from your findings.

Good stuff.

Also, let me note here -- they did not factor in the costs associated with virus down time, the need for an antivirus program and such, and they still came out with a better TCO than MS Windows. I would suggest you do the same as it makes it a more balanced effort than if you include the negatives which are already associated with using MS Windows... give them the benefit of the doubt; you can't lose either way, anyhow.

Hope that helps... When you done, write a page or two about it and your findings, then email it to Chris and see if he won't post it on the front page.(wink, wink);-)

Chris?

I read the Cyber Source Report,It is Obvious That report was written by techies,NO mention of Competetive Advantage,No Mention OF Business Process Rengineering ? plus some statements are really questionable "Linux is taken to be immune from viruses,so no anti-virus software was quoted".I would not let these people unto my companies premises to have drink of water.