Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How Did You become A Techie??

Default Re:How Did You become A Techie??

It all started a long time ago [11 years] in a house far far away [just down the road from where I live now]. My Pops use to bring home the computer from work to do....you guessed it, more work. He would ask me to carry in the computer....Anyway I brought the machine from the car and would hook it up for him every Friday night on the dining table and we would play 'Chuck Yeagers Air Combat' and 'Stunts' after pressing 'ctrl+c' while booting on a 66Mhz processor to get to DOS before Windows booted up on a very old Monochrome monitor. The PC had a turbo button that would make it go extra fast....woooop e. :P Many times I would cause the pc not to work and my Dad had to fork out the money to pay some technician guy to fix little window problems from DOS. I figured I should really stop playing games and learn this thing and after about the 100th or so time of breaking the thing I decided to do the same thing I did to anything that caught my interest...scrap it. After that day when I violated my first PC and saw a motherboard and video card and bigfoot hard drive the feeling was so good that I couldnt stop and now here I am a convicted (certified) PC violater.

hmmm.... some you guys are really nuts ...

nahh... thats just the techiness shining through :

Love the Icon Matronyx..., where di you get it??

I just grew into it. Old man bought a pc (can't remember the stats) back in the early 80's. With 5 inch floppies and the darn screen that showed orange text in DOS. I only played DOS games when I came home from school. Then I moved up to playing 'Chuck Yeagers' (what a coincidence). Then in the early 90's when we got the internet, I found out about chat rooms and IRC, which led to chatting for hours each day (then to 4 years of chatting in IRC), then moved on to making my own website then getting my own domain, then into programming. etc.

Then eventually (not in the same timeline) I had the courage to open up my pc and look around after I started watching Call For Help on TechTV when it started in 98. (or was it 99)

Yeah it was late in my young years when I opened up a pc. But I only had the family pc to work with and I didn't want to mess it up. The rest is history.

Sooo....so far only two guys played Chuck Yeager Air Combat and had the courage to open up their PC and see what was inside? ??? ??? hmmph

I became a techie out of sheer frustration. I worked in two companies where the I.T. department wouldn't/couldn't give good support. I decided to learn how to fix the problems myself.

In the first company, my supervisor (a finance person with a techie's heart) sent me on a Lotus 123 course and taught me lots of neat stuff.

In the second, there was a big I.T. department so I hung out with the guys and just learnt stuff. Started helping others in my department when the I.T. guys wouldn't.

Went on a few Windows NT 4.0 courses and an A+ course. I have learnt lots of stuff from the internet and from colleagues.

First computer released upon was a macintosh, with one of those wierd one button mice, and keyboard, favourite game at that time was super muncher (if u havent been using mac since back in the days den dont question what it is) and also carmen sandiago. THt mac was using os/2 or something ollllllllld. I started to like computers after that. then my cousin released me on his 200 mhz computer with 16mb ram and some slowww crap, but was fast at the time, he was a techie so i started to appreciate pcs from him, then there was my brother, and then there was the time i got to scrap the 200 mhz computer.... its been all uphill from there

well I'm not really a techie - I code. And at the very moment I realised that I could replace this;

if tree=4 then
    return true
    else
    return false
    end if

with this;

return (tree = 4 )

I had reached the point of no return :-\

At my first job they had an old monochrome machine that we used to play digger on. It used floppies the size of a dinner plate and the speed was probably 10 mhz. I think there was an addictive substance on the keyboard, from the first day i touched it i get hooked. my friend at work used to make me do his work (on the computer) - i was so hooked that i did his job willingly. If I die right now i want my urn beside a computer or i want to be sent to the big computer room in the sky !!

Aww man.. just reading all these gets me all tingly remembering... yep... the Good Ol' days. My experience is a lot like Xenocrates and some of the other guys... oh boy I remember those old games, Stunts was da bomb, dig dug, Gapper, Prince of Persia and all kindsa stuff. I guess it started at first with my prep school one summer having a little certificate course thing and man... it just came natural to me... then a friend of mine had a Tandy 1000 (anyone remember Deskview? - Inspiration for Windows 3.1? Hmmmm). My dad had a Bus network with some "super fast" 16Mhz computers and Page orange monitors... push the Turbo button as I heard someone say and BAM! YUP! Good to go ;D .

I got my first computer really young cause I guess my dad say the aptitude in me... thing is he bought it from some guy in MoBay and you can imagine what that means for Tech support to me living in Portmore huh? After about the first 2 or 3 times of messing it up... and realizing the mental anguish that I have to endure until that MoBay man can make it out.. it dawned upon me... I need to learn to do this myself. I mean I've always been unscewing the radios and things of that nature... why shud this b any different? So I did... and to my surprise this time around I didn't end up with any "spare parts" after putting it back together!!!! I knew I had a winner.... after that it's been a lovely little cyber ride. Running a BBS, surfing the 'net from DOS, hacking dialups, hacking the UTECH computer network, writing programs, teaching, designing, brosing the web from DOS, the IRC underworld, SLIP, PPP, Telnet... ... <ehem>. My apologies... started to get a little carried away there... but y'all started it. Don't want to make anyone feel left out so I'll draw the line there.

I'll leave by saying tho... I remember PCJ meetings and when I met TechJamaica... I really felt it inside me that we are on the path to having some wonderful come right back round again... imagine an association of Techies from all walks of life? KEWL!