View Poll Results: Overall Best Console Gamers Are Located In?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • St. James

2 33.33%
  • Kingston / St. Andrew

2 33.33%
  • Clarendon

0 0%
  • Manchester

1 16.67%
  • St. Catherine

1 16.67%
  • St. Ann

0 0%
  • St. Mary

0 0%
  • Trelawny

0 0%
  • Westmoreland

0 0%
  • Other (Post It)

0 0%

Thread: Best Gamers by Parish

Default Best Gamers by Parish

I've done a bit of traveling - locally and abroad - and I've found that there are some gamers in the island that could possibly rival many who are overseas. One of the problems though is that a whole lot of the better gamers aren't the ones representing our country. In the realm of PC gaming when I would reminisce on times gone by with CS: Source for example.

There my rank on the server is ok but my global/worldwide rank was not bad. This was on servers that had hlstats and hlstatsx though, and there were some Jamaican gamers who had MUCH more hours than me - I saw this one dude with like a minimum of 6 hours out of each day playing game - but that's drifting off.

Thing is - on console games the sad truth is that most persons live in a small area where their group of players all have set styles for play. If the persons do not go out - whether other parishes or overseas - they will never get exposed to other types of play, and if they dominate in their home-town they may find that they totally cannot beat the lower tier in another place.

Street Fighter is possibly the most popular fighting game in history. Back in the days of SF2 and 2 Turbo I would play that, and my younger brother has followed the franchise closely. I have friends overseas who compete and have dominated me on multiple occasions, but it's not really my game. At current the island's best SF players are in Kingston and Ocho Rios - can't say where the best ones are, but based on a recent match between someone from Area51 and a player from Ocho Rios (currently attending NCU) I'd lean towards Ochi (was SF4).

Mortal Kombat is probably the next most popular game. Locally I would guess that the best players of this are in MoBay.

Killer Instinct is another game which wasn't bad but I don't recall anything being done after KI-Gold. Undoubtedly the best players are in MoBay.

The crown for Super Smash Brothers on any console goes to MoBay. Kingston (Area51) had mouthed that they were the best, but three of the top tier players from MoBay went there and dominated.

The VS series (Capcom, SF, Marvel) has it's crown in Kingston from what I've seen. The only other players that can hold a candle to the Kingston players are the ones from Ocho Rios.

Soul Caliber is somewhat in the gray area. I would put the best players between Old Harbour and Ocho Rios.

The entire Bloody Roar series is dominated by MoBay. Persons there were either taught by me, sparred with me, or are students of my sparring partners or students. Like most console fighting games I haven't played in years (except BR3 [4 years] and KOF2006 [2 months]) as I've focused on RPGs in the past 15 or so years.

So the proposition is to find where the best gamers are for their respective games. If you beg to differ then we can discuss it and try and set up some matches. As for me I'm looking for challenges in BR3 - if you play the garbage that came out after 3 then I guess I'll play U in that also, but I not into the whole "block cancels everything and automatically dodges everything" that came about after 3. So n00b.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

where are you getting this from some tourneys or what?

For the BR series I've traveled to every parish and had prize money down (ranging from a minimum of $500 to $1500 in later years) between 1997 and 2006 and had nobody beat me in that time. As stated there were exceptions in MoBay. Before BR2 I was driving around looking for challenges in Guilty Gear and Street Fighter EX and EX2 - where my Doctrine Dark was leet at the time....

For the other games it's based on the level of play that I have seen at different places - and for Kingston and MoBay with some games it's based on transporting persons to Kingston to play because the persons in Kingston are too high and mighty to get pwnd outside of their home-town.

So now I'd be issuing a challenge in BR3 for anyone who wants to try. I well washy right now but I still doubt persons outside of my niggaz like Kirk, Dre, DT and the others who I either spar with or have taught will be able to beat me - though I did get pwnd by one of my student's student.........but that's besides the point - so ya.

You will see my write-up on the BR series soon enough.

*EDIT*

And it's up -> http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=652192 <- My review and such on the BR series.

And I would LOVE to know who post say the best gamers come from Manchester! Though NCU draws a lot of gamers from around the island and other parts of the world I have yet to meat the hardcore types that come out of Manchester in ANY game outside of football and basketball - I guess Manchester also has some good squash players and such, but videogames?
    Last edited by khat17; Sep 11, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".