Thread: Advanced TCP/IP Settings

Default Advanced TCP/IP Settings

There r 3 options under "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" Wins Setup in Windows 2000
    1: Enable Netbios over TCP/IP
    2: Disable Netbios over TCP/IP
    3: Use Netbbios setting from the DHCP Server

a) Comparing the first with the third, which causes greater traffic on the network?

b) In a network that has Win95, Win98, Win NT and Win 2000 - Does the implementation of a Wins Server reduces the traffc over options 1 and 3 above?

Default Re:Advanced TCP/IP Settings

I am not too sure what exactly you are asking ecurb_jm. What exactly do you mean by "Causes greater traffic"?

Enabling NetBios over TCP will Allow users to access shares on you rcomputer over the Internet.

option 3 allows you to use it based on the setting from your DHCP Server on your domain or workgroup.

if someone scans your ip for open ports then that can be considerd as network traffic, and they can try to exploit that port once you have shares on your PC.

NetBIOS is a real security risk if and only if all of the following conditions exist:

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is installed as a network component (Network in Control Panel).
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is bound to TCP/IP on an adapter used for the Internet.
    Options for files and printers are checked (enabled) under File and Print Sharing.
    "Share(s)" have actually been configured for file(s) and printer(s).
    Strong passwords have not been used on file and printer "share(s)."
    Scope ID has not been set like a strong password.

...doing more research on [b] question.

Cause greater traffic or slower network

a] I don't think any of them will cause any serious network traffic. Just mek sure seh all u network cards have the same bandwidth with through put, also try avoid sharing large files. What else ???<! Thinking....Still Thinking> When mi reach home I'll see what I can dig-up...

b] I will also have to look into that, but having soh much different OSs on one network might me the problem. But not a 100% sure though so I will have to look it up.

Options 1 and 3 would both generate similar levels of network traffic. A WINS server supposedly resolves internet addresses. WINS means Windows Internet Name Server.

Network file sharing can be made more secure if file sharing and printing is bound to the Netbeui protocol and not TCP/IP. TCP/IP should only be bound to the Client for Microsoft Networks. Netbeui is non-routable so it won't leak anything past your firewall/router.