Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Waggle War (Too late to pick up the technology?)

@chig I did mention that it was a old article. Obviously all the information in the article is from the mentioned date, so any of what he mentioned could have changed by now.

I will quote some pints from the article;

"Why do I now have two X buttons and two O buttons? Why would you even do that? Who at Sony thought it was a good idea to have two buttons have the same picture on them? Do they do the same thing? If so, why are there two of them? Do they do different things?

The real problem isn’t the confusing buttons, it is that Sony is showing that all it can do is try to copy the Wii and hope for the best. It’s just a nunchuck that connects to the system via bluetooth rather than connect to the wii remote via a cable. This handicaps multiplayer as well, as only 7 bluetooth devices can be connected to the PlayStation 3 at one time. They can probably get away with this though, the sub-controller likely wouldn’t lend itself to 4 player games anyway."

"The only conclusion to come to is that they want to be the Wii. You may disagree and say that Sony is not trying to be the Wii here, but when their controller is almost exactly the Wii’s and it comes out with the exact type of game that the Wii did, it’s hard to think otherwise."

"So you have the $300 PlayStation 3 and the $100-$120 for one complete set of controllers. Parents are not going to be buying this over the now $200 Wii, it’s just to large of a price difference."

"The sports game that Sony revealed is the biggest proof that they have no idea of what they are doing. It’s an obvious attempt to recreate the Wii Sports phenomenon, except it’s not going to work. Wii Sports got all of the attention it did because it was new. When this comes out, it will have been 4 years since Wii Sports, and the only new thing that the Move adds is higher sensitivity. Problem is, Nintendo already stole that thunder with Wii Sports Resort. "

Another thing, why didn't the just make the move button equal to the X button? why add 2 extra button to the layout that have never been there before? Clearly they didn't think it through, or did not copy the wii well enough.

heres another old-ish article; http://dimewars.com/Blog/PlayStation...b-be3e0ff3f1b4
    Last edited by owen; Sep 24, 2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    @chig I did mention that it was a old article. Obviously all the information in the article is from the mentioned date, so any of what he mentioned could have changed by now.

"Why do I now have two X buttons and two O buttons? Why would you even do that? Who at Sony thought it was a good idea to have two buttons have the same picture on them? Do they do the same thing? If so, why are there two of them? Do they do different things?

The real problem isn’t the confusing buttons, it is that Sony is showing that all it can do is try to copy the Wii and hope for the best. It’s just a nunchuck that connects to the system via bluetooth rather than connect to the wii remote via a cable. This handicaps multiplayer as well, as only 7 bluetooth devices can be connected to the PlayStation 3 at one time. They can probably get away with this though, the sub-controller likely wouldn’t lend itself to 4 player games anyway."

"The only conclusion to come to is that they want to be the Wii. You may disagree and say that Sony is not trying to be the Wii here, but when their controller is almost exactly the Wii’s and it comes out with the exact type of game that the Wii did, it’s hard to think otherwise."

"So you have the $300 PlayStation 3 and the $100-$120 for one complete set of controllers. Parents are not going to be buying this over the now $200 Wii, it’s just to large of a price difference."

"The sports game that Sony revealed is the biggest proof that they have no idea of what they are doing. It’s an obvious attempt to recreate the Wii Sports phenomenon, except it’s not going to work. Wii Sports got all of the attention it did because it was new. When this comes out, it will have been 4 years since Wii Sports, and the only new thing that the Move adds is higher sensitivity. Problem is, Nintendo already stole that thunder with Wii Sports Resort. "
    1. Figured this would be reiterated, but the Nav controller can function on it's own, to navigate the XMB and other menus without having to hold the Move controller in your other hand.
    Up to 7 bluetooth controllers can be connected at a time, no limit on bluetooth devices that I know of. And the Nav and Move controllers are connected as a pair, not that you'll find yourself with a need to connect 4 pairs of controllers anyway, and I don't think there will even be games that ask for 2 Nav controllers to be connected.

2. And.....

3. Can never tell what people will spend their money on. And if they buy into the Move, they probably already have a Wii collecting dust.

4. See above.

The 2 'extra' buttons are used only for Move games, and are pretty much the only buttons used for them. And yes, the move button does pretty much function as the X button. But maybe they just didn't want them to be confused and make things simpler.

From what I read it seems like the Navi controller connects directly to the PS3 and is its own controller, NOT coupled with the move controller. Otherwise it would not work if the move controller was not present. I could be wrong but I don't see a sync button on it anywhere so it must be syncing with the ps3 via usb. I am not familiar with the controller set up or why there is a limit of 7, maybe it can be fixed with an update.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    From what I read it seems like the Navi controller connects directly to the PS3 and is its own controller, NOT coupled with the move controller. Otherwise it would not work if the move controller was not present. I could be wrong but I don't see a sync button on it anywhere so it must be syncing with the ps3 via usb. I am not familiar with the controller set up or why there is a limit of 7, maybe it can be fixed with an update.
    It is paired with the Move controller, it doesn't assign itself to it's own controller slot. Move controllers naturally fall into slots 7 then 6 then 5 etc as they are added, when you turn on the Nav controllers you have to pair them with a Move controller by pressing L3, same if you want to use a dualshock 3 instead of the nav controllers. To use them the controllers have to be paired and they share the same slot, working in a pair as one controller obviously. Why would 2 controller slots be used for one controller?

It initially syncs to the PS3 via USB as usual, and it has the PS button to turn it on, then like I said you press the L3 button (the analog stick) to pair it with a Move controller.

so it is a controller but it can be paired with something else? I see.

this is interesting..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzNJwk9Z4ds ( posted in 2004 )
    this is interesting...4 players!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXohr4XE-4 ( posted in 2006 )

they are all eye toy videos. no gyo, no motion sensor, no buttons, no screen pointer, no rumble. the video calling it a controller is clearly mislabeled. Kinect!

I keep reading that a lot of the things initially shown with Kinect have been getting removed, including all the project MILO stuff (which I already thought was a trick)

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    I keep reading that a lot of the things initially shown with Kinect have been getting removed, including all the project MILO stuff (which I already thought was a trick)
    yup, true. seems like they were all tech demos done for the show