Thread: How to root the Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader(or violating the warranty)

Cool How to root the Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader(or violating the warranty)

So you just got your Nexus One after paying that hefty price tag and you would love to try out some of those nice roms you see on YouTube, here and so on. Then you soon realize you need to root it. This root access (or super user access) to the phone is done via unlock boot loader which in Google's terms, is violating the warranty, which means no more replacement units or free repairs if you got a bad batch. Here is a guide I found on how to root your Nexus One without unlocking the boot loader...I was bit skeptical, but I did it finally. Now I got my Nexus looking great with a black status bar, running faster, better battery life with a low volt kernal and more..

Worked great for me.

This is an alternative approach of rooting the Nexus without touching the bootloader.
    -no downgrade neccessary
    -no battery modification neccessary
    -no messing around with SD card slot
    -you don't even have to open your phone...
    Working and confirmed for ALL ROMs, including European Vodafone EPF30/FRF91, Korean FRF91, AT&T/T-Mo Stock including FRF91

-------
    Credits:
    -------
    - The Android Exploid Crew:
    http://c-skills.blogspot.com/2010/07...-trickery.html
    - Amon_RA
    - cyanogen

-------
    Notes:
    -------
    - Donate if I've helped you with this guide or here
    - The exploit wasn't found by me (see credits), I just implemented it as a proof of concept for the Nexus One

- Basically this method should work on all currently known ROM versions.
    - I tested it on EPF30, Korean FRF91, Vodafone FRF91, US Stock FRF91.
    - As usual when doing this kind of stuff: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    - It could even work on other Android devices as long as their system partition is at
    /dev/block/mtdblock3/ with yaffs2 file system and there is still some space left on the system partition (without any changes).

-------
    Prerequisites:
    -------
    - Locked Nexus One
    - Latest Android SDK incl. USB drivers
    - Working ADB
    - The file "freenexus.zip"
    edit:
    get it here:
    http://multiupload.com/MVT98F5HBY
    or
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1327667/freenexus.zip
    MD5: 947C20222056D7C070733E7FCF85CF15

-------
    Step-by-step guide:
    -------
    1. install android sdk & USB drivers
    2. extract the content of the zip file into the tools directory of SDK (i.e. \android-skd-windows\tools)
    -> For all Newbies: Take care that you extract the files directly to the tools folder and don't create a new subdirectory freenexus within tools!!! If you did, delete the folder and extract again!!! Check twice that there is no FOLDER freenexus in your tools directory before you continue!!!
    3. open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, "cmd", OK; Linux: Terminal)
    4. change to SDK tools directory (i.e. cd \android-skd-windows\tools)
    5. connect Nexus to USB and check if debugging mode is activated
    (Settings/Application/Development/USB Debugging)
    6. run "adb devices" in shell and see if there is a device listed. if not back to step 5 or reinstall USB-drivers

7a. for Windows: run "freenexus.bat" in command shell (this copies the neccessary files to /data/local/tmp)
    7b. for Linux or manual installation: run the following commands
    Code:

adb push freenexus /data/local/tmp/freenexus
    adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
    adb push su /data/local/tmp/su
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/freenexus
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox

8. run the following commands:
    Code:

adb shell
    (you should see a "$" prompt now)
    cd /data/local/tmp

9. on your phone go to a screen where you can easily toggle wifi (widget or settings/wireless)
    10. be prepared to toggle wifi immediately after you execute the next step
    11. run
    Code:

./freenexus

12. toggle wifi on
    13. you should see something like that:[*] Android local root exploid (C) The Android Exploid Crew[*] Modified by ak for HTC Nexus One
    [+] Using basedir=/sqlite_stmt_journals, path=/data/local/tmp/freenexus
    [+] opening NETLINK_KOBJECT_UEVENT socket
    [+] sending add message ...[*] Try to invoke hotplug now, clicking at the wireless[*] settings, plugin USB key etc.[*] You succeeded if you find /system/bin/rootshell.[*] GUI might hang/restart meanwhile so be patient.

13b) if you get "permission denied" error, you have most likely not followed the big red newbie hint after point 2. check this by entering "ls -l", if you see a "drwxr-xr-x" and not "-rwxr-xr-x" in front of the line where freenexus is listed you did not follow properly. Search the posts in the thread on how to correct this.

14. run
    Code:

rootshell

15. if you succeeded you will be asked for a password, if not try again from step 10
    16. enter the password "freenexus"
    17. now you should see a "#" as a prompt -> you are root now
    18. run the following commands:
    Code:

./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    busybox cp Superuser.apk /system/app
    busybox cp su /system/bin
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    rm /system/bin/rootshell
    exit
    exit

19. Check if you keep root rights:
    Code:

adb shell
    su

20. after you executed the su command the Superuser app on your device should ask you for allowance
    21. you should see the "#" prompt again, if you didn't get that try su again
    22. done

-------
    I have cut it short, read the rest here

Let me know how it goes! I will try my best to help those who run into issues or need questions answered.

Ram

"Root an android, the world opens up to you..
    brick an android, hope you have insurance.."
    Last edited by ram130; Aug 4, 2010 at 12:11 AM.
    LiVE LiFE..LeVeL Di ViBEZ.....use to own a mobile site called McNAllySiTE... Google Advocate
    Current System:
    Win10 Pro, Reaper, Reason, Pro Tools, FL Studio
    Network: T-Mobile & Sprint 4G LTE; Current Devices: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5
    I manage: HitzConnect Radio follow me, twitter: @ram130

mad too late for me though.
    Qualifications: CXC's; Telecommunication Diploma; Electronics Communication Systems Diploma; I.T. Essentials; CCNA; CCNP.