Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 running good so far

I'll be getting this latest copy as soon as it is released been testing the betas and its very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynebrown85 View Post
    but doesnt that version have known issues just the same? i have been reading up on them...y i installed the beta is to just the feel of it really until the final release is out but thanx is is easy to take off 10.04 and install 9.10? im dual booting with windows 7 thats y i asked.

directecd @ jamrock
    I have been using 9.10 at work for a while now. I haven't had any issues with it. I am sure someone somewhere will have had some issues.

You can always use the beta. Just expect it to have significant issues.

I would expect a re-installation to be necessary. You can upgrade but not downgrade.

I have been using 9.10 at work for a while now. I haven't had any issues with it. I am sure someone somewhere will have had some issues.
    Ahem. See Here..

I would recommend using OpenSuse or Mandriva for beginners. For OpenSuse, here is where you go to get restricted formats.

MP3s Videos, Flash , and the like.

I hand edited the repositories myself. The instructions are also available on the page.

i have had a few such probs with the beta some have stopped but some are still there, so improvements are being made. i had 1 this morning using remote desktop viewer where i was connecting to a machine thru vnc and the machine went blank and brought me to back to the logon screen. a couple errors "recovered" like that
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

well jamrock im not really worrying about the beta i like it..and its only a few days b4 the final release is out at that time i will re-install or update.

it sweet so far. im dual booting and i cant tell wen i last went on windows partition.
    contact info:
    Cell: 842-1140
    or PM me at anytime

opensuse doesn't come with divx installed however mandrive does support all codecs ...
    Anyways how is Ubuntu holding up anyone put it under any real pressure as yet?
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Live for computers or else they will live for you.
    8368993 (lime) 303-1359 (digi) blunt60us@yahoo.com

am still getting some errors where i'll be using the machine and it jus goes to the logout screen..but i'm not getting an error report when i log back in. this is usually happening with just the browser only running so am wondering if its a case where the apps have a prob or something
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

i have now come to realize that the problem am having with the machine going to login screen while in use is actually the xserver restarting. i also so while googling that the freeze is usually because of the graphics card. so i found a driver for the card i have (nVidia Riva TNT2/TNT@ Pro) but its failing to install cause there might be a issue with the diferent compilers. still checking to see wat else i can find.

NB: if you want to install driver u'll have to stop xserver before u can continue. here is how its done:
    from terminal
    1. sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop (brings u to black screen)
    2. ALT+F5 (give you login prompt)
    3. enter username and password
    4. complete the install
    5. startx (starts xserver and gives u gui login screen)

well my problem was each time i restarted i got an error saying an unknown program running and it would stop. so wat i did was to cancel the extra option "other" at the login screen so now it s only mine only and its not giving me that error. im still watching it tho.

my other concern is still the time it still wont come up wen i try to add it. getting an error
    contact info:
    Cell: 842-1140
    or PM me at anytime

seems the beta is piling problems day after day?
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem