Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: new to linux

Default Re: new to linux

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Didn't know you could do that. Hmmm, Can i make my own snapshot of gentoo???
    I do not see why not... it seems feasible to me

check the gentoo forums.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Yup i found a site that lets me do it. But i haven't tried it as yet. Take a look:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Custom_Stage4

I have seen so many post of how linux has turned arround so many lives and have been wondering why not change my life too.

I want to be free from Microsoft prison.
    A friend is offering me a bootable CD with linus installed on it. He says that all I need to do is put the CD in the drive and linux would be running.
    So I decided that today I will try linux as soon as I get home from work but I need to find out.

But before I attempt this I would like to know whats the worst thing that could happen to my machine. And is it possible to to have linux installed on a CD?

Yes, there are many distros that are CD based. The best known are KNOPPIX and PHLAK. Some Hard disk based Distros also have CD based versions known as the Live version.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

you don`t really trust ur friend, do you?? ;-)

I never heard anything bad (like a crashed windows partition or sth. like that) when using a live-cd, but a current backup wouldn`t be a mistake.

I`m not very experienced with live-cd`s, but a friend used knoppix when he started with linux. It`s a linux-version which you can boot from cd and don`t have to install on your HDD. For further information : http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

Another live-cd (if you want to try a suse)
    http://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-cd-9.2/

greets M0ses
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Home

Quote Originally Posted by M0ses
    you don`t really trust ur friend, do you?? ;-)

greets M0ses
    Well mi in a strange man land and only know him fi 2 months.
    And I have been a techja member fi almost 2 years who you think mi going to trust

Its Knoppix that him have.
    So for someone who never touch linux before you think this is the best way to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy The Kid
    Its Knoppix that him have.
    So for someone who never touch linux before you think this is the best way to start?
    yes, because you don`t have to install anything on your hdd, and i think knoppix is reliable because it`s the most used livecd that i know. But keep in mind, that a distri installed on your hdd is much faster than a live-cd because of data transfer rates of hdd and cd.

greets M0ses
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Home