Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Dedicated Servers for MW2

Angry No Dedicated Servers for MW2

That's right, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 has been crapped on for the PC. They have totally removed dedicated servers from the game.

Over at BashAndSlash, a Call Of Duty community website, Infinity Ward’s community manager, Robert Bowling, confirmed there would be no dedicated server option for excruciatingly-anticipated super-shooter Modern Warfare 2. Really? Apparently so: dedicated servers will be replaced with a match-making service called IWNet. This will place you against players of your own rank, and remove dedicated server lists. There will also be options for a private matches. Take it with a pinch of salt, however, because the fact that it’s the community manager making an announcement two hours into a fan-podcast suggests there’s going to be some clarifying statements to follow. Bowling makes clear he’s not totally clear on the tech aspects, but he does seem certain that everything will run through IWNet, in conjunction with Steam. That seems to imply no mod support.

Time to cancel pre-orders and sign the petition, hopefully IW will do the right thing. I for one will not be buying this game anymore. No dedicated servers = no purchase.
    Infinity Ward is jumping on the proprietary software bundles bandwagon where they disallow pc gamers from having their own dedicated servers and you can only play through their own matchmaking service. This is what the PC version of Gears of War also did, and the result was devastating. While Gears was one of the most played xbox360 titles ever, the pc version of it had very little available servers and almost noone was playing the game online because of the "host advantage" (basically, only the host played with no ping and the rest of the players suffered due to bad lag).

Customized content, creating communities and having control over how you wanted to play a game has always been the cornerstone of multiplayer gaming on the pc, and IW is looking to take this away from us.

By putting us in a position where we are forced to play on the servers their service wants us to play at, you will have no option to add a server to your favourites because the servers will always be changing. You won't be able to rely on a server being fast for your area and internet connection and having the settings and maps you want to play at. There will be no mods.

Basically, what you get will be the dumbed down console experience. But it's not all bad, since you will always be matched with players of the same level. [/sarcasm]

Cancel your pre-order and demand to be treated like you were treated by Infinity Ward circa 2007. You know, back when you could still get the PC gaming experience when playing a PC game.
    Last edited by ChinNoobonic; Oct 18, 2009 at 09:19 PM.
    -|Jordan - ChinNoobonic|-
    |Clevo W860CU| The Most Powerful 15.6" Laptop Evar!
    Intel Core i7-820QM 1.73GHz-3.06Ghz | Nvidia Geforce GTX 280M | FHD LED 1920x1080
    OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz | Seagate Momentus 320GB 7200.4 RPM HDD

This is activision we are dealing with... they are idiots. Imagine the same thing happening with starcraft which they are partly responsible for as well. They plannign something and it feels like its gonna be a terrible turn. They might end up making PC gaming too much like the restrictive console gaming, then we have paid for DLC and all that sht.

If this continues and ppl still buy their games we are gonna have monthly or yearly fees to play online with PC... dont put that past activisions boss at all. You know they planning something because they didn't even have to run the Cod servers so it costs them MINIMALLY! They want a cut of something
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

lol I canceled my pre order copy yesterday
    ZEN
    CPU CORE i7 6850k @ 4GHz, RAM Gskill 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, GPU Asus GTX1070 Aura Storage: Samsung 512GB 950 Pro M.2 SSD , 500GB EVO , Cooling & Power Corsair RM750i & H100i V2 Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Atx

I was really looking forward to MW2 but not anymore this is a stupid move on their part single player is fun to play but multiplayer is one of the cornerstones how the hell am i gonna be able to shoot my friends and dance over their bodies and gloat if we never on the same server
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

wasnt COD4 all P2P servers anyway? and even the trailers showed that MW2 would be more p2p

trailers were console versions and mw was definitely dedicated. ppl Always looking forward to hosting some games in cod for their clans etc. THis a dumb arse move
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    This is activision we are dealing with... they are idiots. Imagine the same thing happening with starcraft which they are partly responsible for as well. They plannign something and it feels like its gonna be a terrible turn. They might end up making PC gaming too much like the restrictive console gaming, then we have paid for DLC and all that sht.

If this continues and ppl still buy their games we are gonna have monthly or yearly fees to play online with PC... dont put that past activisions boss at all. You know they planning something because they didn't even have to run the Cod servers so it costs them MINIMALLY! They want a cut of something
    I actually agree with you one giant step forward for an world class game and 1000 step back on removing dedicated servers. Rummer that i herd the console gamers ask for dedicated server so instead of upgrading the console gamer by giving them dedicated server they just brought down the PC gamers to save them self money hrrrrrr

Default The Dedicated Servers for CoD:MW2 Petition

i just sign the petition, you should too, even tho it wont make a big difference

http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

Last edited by T-Zero; Oct 21, 2009 at 01:38 AM.
    I Now Have the Highest OC on Techja 4.2Ghz
    GekkoState™:Gigabyte X58 Extreme | Intel Core i7 940 OC @ 3.08Ghz cooled by Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 | Corsair Dominator DDR3 -6x2Gig |2 EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 Superclocked 602MHZ 896MB 2.052GHZ GDDR3 In SLI |22"Widescreen Phillip LCD l Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse | 18x + 22x Samsung Sata DVD+RW | Western Digital Caviar 2.8 TB | Antec 1200 Gamer Case | Enermax Galaxy Dxx 1000 Watt Psu | Windows 7 Ultimate

Well, I was going to buy the game BUT looks like I going to get a legit copy of CoD4 instead.
    Should be much cheaper anyway.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards