Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchased Software & Why

Default Purchased Software & Why

Here's a list of what I have and the reasons for getting them.

MS Windows
    MS Office

After using these things for a while I decided to buy them. I had owned original 95-98-ME discs, but they're all lost or badly deteriorated now, and I no longer have those serials.

Linux is a good alternative, coupled with OPENOFFICE, but for gaming, it's all Windows.

Alcohol 120%
    Manages multiple image formats, and basically allows you to catalog your images.

CoreAVC
    Purchased before finding that MPC-HC in CCCP could send the video stream to the card for hardware decoding. Don't really regret it, as CoreAVC is the best software decoder on the market. Newer versions support hardware decoding.

DBPoweramp
    Will convert any and all audio formats to any and all others. This was a good buy.

DivX
    For video encoding purposes. Though XviD is good, I rather just setting the profile and encoding. Newer versions support software decoding of H264 streams, and hardware decoding through DIRECTSHOW, which kinda renders CoreAVC useless to me at this point.

FairUse Wizard
    Purchased before HANDBRAKE became free. Still use it occasionally, as I find that HANDBRAKE's 2-pass encoding feature don't work so well with Windows.

Getright
    The original download manager. IDM caught my eye some years after, but I haven't seen anything that has a better site browser.

Hide My IP
    Needed something to watch videos from sites that don't want you to see it if you're outside of their country.

Internet Download Manager
    This is by far one of - if no the best - download managers out there. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't search for mirrors and use them. Instead it uses multiple threads on the same server. Not good if you want maximum bandwidth usage.

Large Software Password Manager
    Though there are free solutions, I find this one to be excellent. Wish they would update more is all.

Nero 7
    The bundled versions don't cut it, and buying it you get updates. I haven't updated to the latest ones yet, as 7 does all I need, and I don't have a BluRay burner............yet.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2008
    Remember PARTITION MAGIC? I find this better, and MUCH cheaper. I use this for all partitioning purposes, and for drive backups and restore. You get bootable CD's with it (downloadable) and it works with multiple partition types. Only thing is, I've seen the new NORTON GHOST and it's very nice, with an EXPLORER interface that you can access your files from.

Power Archiver
    Though UNIVERSAL EXTRACTOR is the best software for just extraction, PA does a great job of extraction and creation. I use them both.

PowerISO
    By far the best little utility for disc image manipulation. Allows you to customize your disc images and burn. First software with spanning for your disc images.

Rainlendar
    Excellent calendar app.

Raxco PerfectDisk
    The BEST defragging solution there is. Period.

Slysoft AnyDVD
    Decrypt your discs.

Stardock Object Desktop
    Very nice for customizing your desktop.

UltraISO
    Purchased this before POWERISO came out. This was the next best thing.

Aside from those, I use a lot of free software. Will probably make a compilation of the different utils and why I use them.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Sadly i have never purchased software..i bought a few airplane simulators when i had win95.

CdburnerXP - best free burning program i could find. I agree wiht u staying i nero 7 after that they just add bloatware[would buy if it wasn't free ]

SUPER - Video encoder - Best Free conversion program i found video/music etc[would buy if it wasn't free ]

Videolan VLC - Everybody knows this coupled with kazaa codec pack [would buy if it wasn't free ]

Foxit Reader - Free works doesn't lag [wouldn't buy it]

Filezilla Ftp - ftp client[would buy if it wasn't free ]

Winrar - best compression program[Would buy it]
    Phenom X4 9550, MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum, Kingston HyperX SLI 4GB DDR2 1066MHz, Evga 9600GT Supaclack'd, Corsair 750W PSU,80gb 2.5 5400rpm X 2- Raid 0
    kevin@4046263 Kevin1386@gmail.com
    Kingston/Portmore/Mandeville

Windows XP Professional
    MS Office 2003

Basic software needed for a stable basic everyday system. No need to worry about updating and getting support if needed. The rest freeware.

Next step full open source/open standard system for every day use. Will check out the world of Linux gaming.

Instead of SUPER I'd suggest FORMAT FACTORY. Better application IMO.

CCCP for video and FOXIT, and FILEZILLA I agree with. But for compression I'd just use 7zip. Free and works. For extraction, I'd use only UNIVERSAL EXTRACTOR if I wanted to stay freeware. Will list the free apps soon.

*EDIT*

Actually, you just need to look here -> http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78384 <- for the listing. Not much else aside from those.
    Last edited by khat17; Oct 8, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Ive never bought a piece of software in my life. And if i can get the full versions for free then i wont ever buy software.

Khat17 ur telling me that u bought all that software in the first post?

Yes I am, and yes I did. I get discounts for major upgrades, and for some of them I've purchased lifetime licenses. I posted some info for SLYSOFT before they became a paid service so everyone could get their hands on the lifetime licenses, but I don't know how many responded.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68499

Other stuff include discount coupons before it's released to the masses.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75587

I try to post when I get info, but sometimes I forget, and other times I don't get permission to post the information on the mailing lists. Currently waiting on RAXCO to let me put information in their whitepaper on Windows7 and defragmentation on the forum.
    Last edited by khat17; Oct 8, 2009 at 02:52 PM.

I like Hide-My-IP but i want an application where i get a random IP and i can edit my Location, ISP and my Host Name.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Instead of SUPER I'd suggest FORMAT FACTORY. Better application IMO.

CCCP for video and FOXIT, and FILEZILLA I agree with. But for compression I'd just use 7zip. Free and works. For extraction, I'd use only UNIVERSAL EXTRACTOR if I wanted to stay freeware. Will list the free apps soon.

*EDIT*

Actually, you just need to look here -> http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78384 <- for the listing. Not much else aside from those.
    Never tried format factory..ill try it an see how it compares
    Phenom X4 9550, MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum, Kingston HyperX SLI 4GB DDR2 1066MHz, Evga 9600GT Supaclack'd, Corsair 750W PSU,80gb 2.5 5400rpm X 2- Raid 0
    kevin@4046263 Kevin1386@gmail.com
    Kingston/Portmore/Mandeville

Quote Originally Posted by sk@tta View Post
    I like Hide-My-IP but i want an application where i get a random IP and i can edit my Location, ISP and my Host Name.
    If you find some software that can do that, let me know. None I've seen so far allow you to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1386 View Post
    Never tried format factory..ill try it an see how it compares
    I've used SUPER since 2007. On finding FORMAT FACTORY I haven't used SUPER again.

Yung_Jah Guest

Lets see...the only software I bought was a Game or two, when I had windows 98 running. Since then...it was mainly freewares and getting a copy of this and that from friends.