Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I use PHP

Angry Why should I use PHP

Yes as you all can see from my Avatar I am not a big fan seriously I am a ASP brother and I am being crucify @ my web designer interview key question " do you know php" I said no then they say ok and they never call again.

This is what I want from you PHP genious tell me why it is in such high demand and whats the edge it have over ASP and where can I get some tutorials I mean good ones. Please convert me give me a reason to change my avatar "brother peeing on PHP beside my name "
    how yeah what PHP mean
    Last edited by MadHacker; Jan 4, 2005 at 11:14 PM.

Default Re: Why should I use PHP

php = Hypertext Pre Processor script.

you can get a basic start on php at w3schools.com. and make sure you download the php manual from php.net "its got all the functions and an explanation of how to use it and so on".

from what i know php isn't locked to one plat form like asp, php can be ran on both win and nix servers, another factor is script execution time, php seems to be the boss on that.
    Last edited by death_knight; Jan 4, 2005 at 11:39 PM.

heheh .. hit the nail onthe head dk..

2 things you NEEEEEEED to keep in mind

1 - the person hiring you MOST likely doesn't know what they're talking about and so doesn't know the VAST similarities between the two languages... they DO however know that their IT lead said they wanted someone with PHP skills.

2 - the IT lead MOST likely wants someone with PHP skills because a) he doesn't want to tie his customers to one platform and b ) I'd say 95% of the "Jamaican hosted" sites are hosted on *Nix boxes..which don't support ASP
    The sword of the Spirit is a mighty 2-edged blade || Re-arranging my life for Christ!

Well I get what you guys are say now I know why my Interview arent going so hot with any language I sink my hand in I will grasp this one within three months or less by then I will be @ an Intermediate level may be then I change my avatar
    But I think its unfair to crucify me for One bloody languange I even got crucify for style sheet can you believe it just because I dont use it as often

and befor ene body helps this dude ne further we should make him change his avatar and stop dissing our beloved scripting language.

Just to let you know DeathKnigh, you can run ASP on a Unix platform. You would need 3rd party software to accomplish it. But ASP is not tied down to windows either.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

if I manage to survive a week of PHP yeah I will change it

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    and befor ene body helps this dude ne further we should make him change his avatar and stop dissing our beloved scripting language.
    I agree. Althought I am not a PHP person, the avatar does seem a bit disrespectful. From what i gather, the greatest thing PHP has over other scripting languages is speed and platform independence .

hmmmm.... archy.. don't you mean ASP.NET .... because far as I know it's the .NET platform that accomplishes ANY of M$ crossplatform compatibility.. and I not even sure bout that either....
    The sword of the Spirit is a mighty 2-edged blade || Re-arranging my life for Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel
    Just to let you know DeathKnigh, you can run ASP on a Unix platform. You would need 3rd party software to accomplish it. But ASP is not tied down to windows either.
    As far as I know, ASP is strictly Windows. If anyone knows otherwise please correct me, cuz I would love to find a solution for running ASP in Linux. I searched, but came up blank.

The ASP.NET specifications are open and can be implemented freely (in theory). So far, only one project has taken it up. It's called Mono and its supported by Novel. ASP.NET is not supported by MS on any other platform but Windows. Mono is not ASP.NET for Linux, rather its more correctly an implementation of the .NET framework and runs on Windows/*nix platforms. They are trying to create a platform independent implementation of the .NET Framework.

I've never used PHP, but since its platform independent I'm all for it.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com