Thread: The Case for Why Microsoft Won E3

Default The Case for Why Microsoft Won E3

As a software company, Microsoft appears to understand that it can rebrand the box it makes at any time, so long as the guts of the container are properly molded. No one buys a game system or a computer because of what it is. People buy tech devices because of what they can offer. Over the last few years, Microsoft has added avatars, Net Flix, and numerous dashboard and Live features to supplement the game offerings of the Xbox 360. Alongside these “media functionality” features, Microsoft has also slowly blurred the line between the Xbox and Playstation brands. Major franchises formerly associated with Playstation such as Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and Guitar Hero have moved to multiplatform status. Brands like Halo and Splinter Cell and Gears of War augment the shared content by avoiding the Sony systems.

For Microsoft, the migration of content to its platform has been a huge gain because the Xbox 360 offers similar experiences to PS3 at a much lower price with many of the same games. As recently as early 2007, this migration of content from many sources, into one box – the Xbox 360 – during the slow PS3 launch period meant that many expected the system to become Microsoft’s de facto living room media center, which would allow Microsoft to control multiple avenues of living room content distribution in one box.

However, the rise of the Wii coincided with this migration of content of features, leaving Microsoft and Sony to deal with a Nintendo more powerful than at anytime since it held a monopoly with the NES in 1989 and launched the Game Boy in the same year. As the Wii has grown Microsoft has quietly changed its Xbox focus from taking key Playstation franchises augmented by exclusives and building advanced gaming features for its dedicated, traditional audience and tried to become more Wii like. The question of course has been whether or not Microsoft could finish the job and move quick enough to catch Nintendo while maintaining the full court press on Sony and continuing to exist as the ‘more’ mass market HD console.

Despite widespread cynicism before the conference, the answer appears to be yes. Microsoft announced Project Natal which can morph the Xbox 360 into a “Super Wii” of sorts, given undisputed graphical prowess over Wii and motion tech likely at least on par with Wii and its successful accessories. Since Project Natal is not launching now though, Microsoft continued to add to both the depth of the Xbox 360 game lineup, as well as the depth of the Xbox 360 media features.

With Wii unlikely to get any major new motion control initiatives after motion plus, and PS3 likely to remain more expensive than 360 throughout its life Microsoft probably can lower the lifespan of both systems by being superior late in life to Wii graphically and in terms of interaction, and similar enough, but significantly cheaper than PS3 for the rest of the generation, forcing both Nintendo and Sony to release future systems years ahead of schedule (Sony wants to try to recoup the losses on PS3, Nintendo wants to milk the Wii for profit but will not sacrifice its long term profit). Trying to bleed Nintendo dry, a company with only 4,300 employees and $10 billion in cash reserves that is laser focused on one industry will not be easy for any company, even one as powerful as Microsoft. But preventing Wii from continuing to explode at 100 million units and beyond has to be the first step if Microsoft is to win the larger battle – for future supremacy in videogames - and Project Natal is the first step to that end, for better or for worse.

With Sony continuing to lose power in the industry due to financial woes and miscalculations, learning how to cope with the revitalized Nintendo will be Microsoft’s biggest internal challenge in at least the near term. Project Natal, if successful, is probably the one device that could make Xbox 360 a true mass market media center. For restoring investor faith and forcing Nintendo and Sony to change their approaches to gaming, there is certainly an argument to be made that Microsoft outperformed its competitors.

In part two, look for an argument as to why Nintendo beat its competitors at its conference, followed by an assessment of why it was actually Sony who did. The final section, part four will demonstrate which ‘case’ is really the strongest despite the pitches by the other two competitors.
    http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3824
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

In part two, look for an argument as to why Nintendo beat its competitors at its conference, followed by an assessment of why it was actually Sony who did. The final section, part four will demonstrate which ‘case’ is really the strongest despite the pitches by the other two competitors.
    Just a part of a series of arguments pezz? Where the rest at?

Microsoft didnt do better with game announcements, simple as that. MS gets sloppy seconds on gta, final fantasy and mgs. Agent is a ps3 exclusive and expected to be the gta successor, mgs rising is not mgs, final fantasy will be better on the ps3 and final fantasy 14 is a ps3 exclusive. Splinter cell is coming out on pc and who gives a crap about sub HD halo and gears?

Soon the argument is going to be "360 offers almost as much as ps3 in features and games for a LOWER PRICE" LOL.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ep...le-walls/51228
    Last edited by semitop; Jun 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    Just a part of a series of arguments pezz? Where the rest at?

Microsoft didnt do better with game announcements, simple as that. MS gets sloppy seconds on gta, final fantasy and mgs. Agent is a ps3 exclusive and expected to be the gta successor, mgs rising is not mgs, final fantasy will be better on the ps3 and final fantasy 14 is a ps3 exclusive. Splinter cell is coming out on pc and who gives a crap about sub HD halo and gears?

Soon the argument is going to be "360 offers almost as much as ps3 in features and games for a LOWER PRICE" LOL.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ep...le-walls/51228
    so now we are clear that microsoft won e3

why isnt mgs rising not mgs? real fail talk maybe that is why you have the fail console

pc is microsoft exclusive aswell right?

no soon the arguement will be " toshiba our cell failed how did you do it sony?"
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Call me crazy, but the only spectacular thing to come out of Microsoft at E3 was Natal. Seriously. I watched the entire press conference and I don't remember much else besides that and Rock Band Beetles, which just so happens to be multi-platform.

Natal is undoubtedly an amazing piece of technology, but Sony also had it's own motion based tech which was also amazing, and since I was actually able to see it used practically, it gets the win in my book.

Sony had the games and the technology. Nuff said. I'd rather pay $400 for a PS3 that's actually reliable than $200 for a ****boxplzfixme that will die eventually and have to be replaced, which as it turns out would completely obliterate the advantage of getting it because of it's cheaper price point.
    No one expects the Inquisition.