Thread: Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta: First Impressions and Video

Default Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta: First Impressions and Video

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta: First Impressions and Video

Naughty Dog’s Uncharted 2: Among Thieves beta went live a few hours ago, and the clock-watching Digital Foundry was amongst the first to download the 1.2GB-sized sampler of what we reckon could well be the most technically impressive game of the year.

There's no time for fancy frame rate graphs, just two sets of hardcore video taken from the beta and displayed here for your pleasure in full high definition. First impressions? It's good. It's very good. We can’t find much to fault with the original Uncharted aside from its lack of v-sync and the resultant screen tearing, and we can confirm that this has been fixed completely for the sequel. While we didn't have time to render FPS graphs, we did run the footage through our frame analyser and across 15 minutes of video, we averaged out at 29.9FPS. Hardcore battle can see a drop from 26-28FPS, but you don't feel it during gameplay, and that's what counts.
    In terms of criticisms of the beta, I seem to be spending more time staring at the matchmaking screen than I do playing the game - frustrating when I've been waiting to get my hands on Uncharted 2 for so long. I can be waiting for between five to ten minutes just to find someone else to play with. Now, the truth of the matter is that I am running US beta code outside of the Land of the Free, so it may well be that the remote geographical location of the Digital Foundry lair is serving to boot me from a lot of the available servers. Which is odd, because once I do get connected, I have very few issues with lag. The prediction system used to compensate for net latency is excellent: no freezes, no disappearing/reappearing opponents, no sudden, inexplicable deaths. Aside from the odd times where you're pumping multiple head shots into your opponent with no effect, it feels local, it feels fair and you can’t get much better than that.
    The first video was hype. Nice 3 player coop action with a bright and sharp environment.
    Last edited by semitop; Jun 3, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/un...-tech-analysis

Tech analysis of the gameplay video we have all seen
    All rights reserved.

Sweet me fi see u start using DF Videos...seems they lowered the shadow resolution from first title, and hid some stuff using blurring. Repeated texture due to memory constarints. NOT MY WORDS, it is on the video.

Still it is the overall effect that looks good, even though it is shader trickery and programming skill ie. DOABLE onthe xbox if people stopped using the UT3 engine for EVERY **** GAME.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

the hate runs deep nestersan. I'm sure you loved those atari jaggies at 1:04 in the first video..

Anyway Uncharted 2 is looking good, more interesting to me than my impressions from the first one. The urban environment is more appealing to me than the jungle ting. Depending on how prototype gets reviewed i may still have a chance to get into the beta since ps3 games dont sell so the infamous pass should still be around

Graphics is not all there is but maybe it can be done on 360. The gpu in the 360 cant do ai/physics and we accept that the CPU in the ps3 is faster than the cpu in the 360. So if a game has a lot of computation in it to emulate pretty good physics and Good AI that takes advantage of the cell, would that be doable on the 360?

U have bullets moving plants leaves, breaking windows and other parts of the environment showing physics. Dont think the AI is ntn special but that could also be a factor. Is the ps3 then more capable of realistic games even without AA?

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    the hate runs deep nestersan. I'm sure you loved those atari jaggies at 1:04 in the first video..

Anyway Uncharted 2 is looking good, more interesting to me than my impressions from the first one. The urban environment is more appealing to me than the jungle ting. Depending on how prototype gets reviewed i may still have a chance to get into the beta since ps3 games dont sell so the infamous pass should still be around
    What u doing yoooutt. giving the critics ammo? I dont know what u waiting on u know, infamous is a must buy either way. You probably end up with it later anyway so might as well go. Also i think proto will be a lot like previous hulk games with same open world smash everything theme, from the vids i seen. Infamous likely has more world interactions and u cant beat the choice aspect of it.
    Last edited by semitop; Jun 3, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
    All rights reserved.

Well..Honestly I must say, come hell or high water . Gow 3 and the last guardian thingy are must plays for me.

I really dont like tomb raider/uncharted type games, cause technology has not evolved to where you I can manoever through the game worlds as you I like. I hate trying to do something that is very doable in real life, like jump an extra 2 inches to make a ledge, which the game doesn't think you should be able to do.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    What u doing yoooutt. giving the critics ammo? I dont know what u waiting on u know, infamous is a must buy either way. You probably end up with it later anyway so might as well go. Also i think proto will be a lot like previous hulk games with same open world smash everything theme, from the vids i seen. Infamous likely has more world interactions and u cant beat the choice aspect of it.
    when u see hungry dog sometime u jus feel fi throw it the bone
    And yea maybe is a must buy, but right now I nah work and games at $60 a piece with so many coming out in the next 6 months I have to be pickin an choosing especially when I have bigger tings fi do wid my currently limited money resources

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    Well..Honestly I must say, come hell or high water . Gow 3 and the last guardian thingy are must plays for me.

I really dont like tomb raider/uncharted type games, cause technology has not evolved to where you I can manoever through the game worlds as you I like. I hate trying to do something that is very doable in real life, like jump an extra 2 inches to make a ledge, which the game doesn't think you should be able to do.
    guess u can call that developer laziness?