Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: internet speed control

um i think.. using windows xp professional sp2 the gpedit thing. Instead of removing the 20% why not just increase it to whatever you like should work.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyRudy View Post
    um i think.. using windows xp professional sp2 the gpedit thing. Instead of removing the 20% why not just increase it to whatever you like should work.
    wats gpedit? and utech it sounds like the man wants to decrease the bandwith of other users using the router... but he wants to access these settings from his laptop.... obviously if it was his router he he would have gotten a software for it to do all that!
    Orlando aka Maskelly

has someone found a solution?
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    has someone found a solution?
    Without knowing what you need it for, your best bet will probably be some sort of [desktop] proxy application, either of the developer variety like Fiddler or the more general purpose NetLimiter.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rlando View Post
    wats gpedit?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpedit

Group Policy Editor. You can increase the reserved bandwidth on a particular machine (QoS) - which will essentially decrease the speed a person is getting. I think NetLimiter is the better option though.

For a more professional lock and control of your environment, I'd recommend KERIO WINROUTE FIREWALL. More commercial software though, so it depends on what you're looking for. For free solutions, I guess a REDWALL server would work.
    Last edited by khat17; Feb 9, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

there is a software called "smoothwall" that can do it, its a linux software and u need a seperate pc from the ones u're using to go online. why the hell am i a newbie if i can do that?

is it a wireless router?

duster:

Which operating system are you using on your laptop? If it is Windows then you can try these. Hope this helps...

Source: Restrict or Limit Internet Download and Upload Transfer Speed » Raymond.CC Blog
    Address : http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...ransfer-speed/
    Date Visited: Sun Feb 15 2009 00:28:56 GMT-0500 (EST)

1. Shunra Nimbus
    Limit Internet Bandwidth
    - As you can see at the program’s interface, it is SO EASY. Just install and run Nimbus from start menu. You can select the bandwidth speed that you want to limit and click Play. It has 14.4, 28.8, 33.6, 56.0, 64.0, 128.0 and 256.0. The numbers are calculated at kilobits (Kb) and not Kilobytes (KB). So if you set it to 256.0, it means you’re capping the Internet at 32KBps. 1 byte equals 8 bits. Just divide the numbers with 8. If you quit the program, the traffic shaping will also stop. Shunra Nimbus is no longer available at its official website but I manage to find the installation setup file.

2. Traffic Shaper XP
    Traffic Shaper XP Bandwidth limiting software
    - Traffic Shaper XP is the only free traffic shaping software that is customizable which is more suitable for advance computer users. After installation, you’ll need to create rules to limit the internet bandwidth. Simply click the Add Rule Wizard button and you can select which network adapter, direction (upload or download), port, IP address, and speed to limit. The best part about Traffic Shaper XP is after you’ve created a rule, you can close the program and it will still continue to shape your internet bandwidth. It will continue to control your internet traffic in background.
    Last edited by Joel; Feb 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM.