Thread: 2003 server master browser problem

Default 2003 server master browser problem

Ok here goes:

I have a domain controller thats loosing the battle when master browser elections are done. i get the error
    The browser has received a server announcement indicating that the computer computer_name is a master browser, but this computer is not a master browser.
    I found the command here to force an election for browser master after editing the registry with info i found here that will force a machine to be a browser master.

Still getting the same error after doing all that. Any ideas?
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

What is the OS version on the workstation?

If you issue the browstat getmaster command on the W2k3 server does it say the workstation is the master?

If you issue the nbtstat -a ip_address of the workstaiton command does it say the workstation is the master? You should know if it is the master if you see ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> on the last line.

How often do you get the message?
    Last edited by juba; Feb 4, 2009 at 07:33 AM.

well i'm using the browstat tool to check for the master browser. been working at it all day and still no luck. The server is windows 2003 and the clients are windows xp.

numerous times today the server lost the role of master browser and machines in the labs were assuming the role. i just check and a lab machine had the role so i turned it off ran the initiated the election for browser master from the server which it reclaimed.

the things is tho if the server looses the role and tries to regain it, it is denied the right to do so.

edit.

also noticed using MS Network Monitor after capturing packets for few minutes show that a client machine was broadcasting to become the master browser
    Last edited by lovepython; Feb 4, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

Is your Windows Server 2003 a Domain Controller or just a regular member server? If the latter applies, then review this information - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843517/
    Be what's next!

Yes it is the Domain Controller. I did see this info and all updates have been installed for the server

I saw some info online that when a computer is trying to access the master browser and can't get to it then that machine takes on the role of the master browser. We also notices where persons were having slow logins and also network traffic would get really clogged. So on running some ping tests it was noticed that at times pings wud fail when pinging the server.

We were doin some test checking different area of the networking seeing if a machine was clogging the network or a switch was causing it. we think we might have found a link that is sketchy but we'll have to complete those tests tomoro
    Last edited by lovepython; Feb 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

OK just to let u guys know that we found the problem. Devil really find work gi idle hands. Dem pickney a da school ya sa.

We isolated the problem to one of the labs so i went about seeing if a machine or the switches were the problem. I noticed that the switches were flashing rather unusual so i started plugging out each cable 1 at a time to see if a machine was sending alot of requests or something. Found the port where the problem is originating and went about tracing the cable. When i finally found the other end, the cable from the wall mount was plugged out of the machine and back into another wall mount.

I have the same problem at a school as well. Whenever they call me and say the network is down, the first thing I ask them to do is to look at the switches and see if all the lights are flashing at once.

If that is the case, then I know I have to go trace cables.

Quote Originally Posted by lovepython View Post
    OK just to let u guys know that we found the problem. Devil really find work gi idle hands. Dem pickney a da school ya sa.

We isolated the problem to one of the labs so i went about seeing if a machine or the switches were the problem. I noticed that the switches were flashing rather unusual so i started plugging out each cable 1 at a time to see if a machine was sending alot of requests or something. Found the port where the problem is originating and went about tracing the cable. When i finally found the other end, the cable from the wall mount was plugged out of the machine and back into another wall mount.
    dem pickney day really give u some work. at least it give you some more experience. but them bad tho.

yes dem terrible nuh hell