Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ADSL - some questions

Default Re: C&WJ Cuts Broadband Internet Access Charges

Where is the best place for me to purchase my ADSL modem? From C&W themself? Could i get one somewhere cheaper? If so, where?
    --- Bless, 24 HRS !!

Quote Originally Posted by 24hrs
    Where is the best place for me to purchase my ADSL modem? From C&W themself? Could i get one somewhere cheaper? If so, where?

Ebay is the best way if you have a dual currency credit card and will thus be able to sign up for Paypal. I have bought Alcatel Speedtouch Homes on there for 25$US. Otherwise... C&W.

STAY AWAY FROM THE HAWK ADSL MODEMS

They are **** ... a bredrin has gone through 3 at his workplace. The first 2 just up and died.

Hey guys, is it best to get my ADSL modem from C&W? I want to sign up for the 128.
    --- Bless, 24 HRS !!

depends, are u technically inclined, cause of not, cwj only give support for modems that they provide. however it may be cheaper to buy your modem elsewhere

What is the start up and installations cost for everything? This is how i see it:

One time activation fee = US50 = JA 3100
    Cost to purchase modem* = US102 = JA 6324
    Cost to install modem (i suppose i could do this myself?) = JA 2192
    Pots Splitter = JA 375

Total = JA $11991

*4 port Ethernet switch router so i can connect with 2 computers.

I suppose i can save money by installing the modem myself, then it would be almost $10000. Is this what the cost really is?

I also see i can get 3 months free if i pay for 9 months. Is that 9 months one time at the beginning, or just pay the first 9 when they are due and the next 3 will be free?

Plz advise me.
    Last edited by 24hrs; Nov 18, 2004 at 11:32 PM.
    --- Bless, 24 HRS !!

24hrs, maybe this thread will help you: http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3032
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

cable and wireless has to install the modem once you buy it from them. there's no getting away

@ 24hrs - There's an additional cost of installing/configuring the modem which is $2000+. This configuration I did in 30 seconds after my modem got reset by mistake. My point is, whether or not you know how to install it they'll still bill u for that one and say they did this and that.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Default Re: Getting ADSL - some questions

Well thanx Arch_Angel for the link. I think i'll be going for the SpeedTouch 510 w/4. Its just about US$20 more and i figure its worth it. So i cant avoid that 2000 installation charge, oh well :-(

What about that 3 months free thing. I dont think they would really expect me to pay US$45 x 9 up front.

Well dialup and GPRS, soon i'll be using u no more :-)

We use the internet a lot more than 4 hours in my house so i suppose its worth it.
    --- Bless, 24 HRS !!

Default Re: Getting ADSL - some questions

Quote Originally Posted by 24hrs
    What about that 3 months free thing. I dont think they would really expect me to pay US$45 x 9 up front.
    It's basically like paying your telehone bill, you'll only pay... month-end.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.