Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Default Re: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

aint that the truth i started FIU and had to quite, things would be too tight financially and i'm used to my life as it is, was scared of the sacrifice, if ne thing should come up i wouldn't be able to manage that financially, utech [ look out for me september ], hey could someone give me the url so i could download the app form i googled it but i honestly never find the form on the site.

err... just take the bus and head on over there and pickup the form. The smallchange they charging you for the form not going to kill you!

I'm curious though, what's the tuition at FIU?

its a lil over a millon jamaican dollars not that bad actually compared to what u would pay if you actually went to florida to do the bachelors in IT there. but i gotta say that degree outline was made for me, advanced windows api programming, unix programming and all the programming goodies a geek like me would ever want. [ err scratch the geek comment ]. but u know how it is.

I hear alot being said about UWI program vs UTECH is there actually anyone here except me that has done or is doing Computer Science @ UWI?

Is the fee for UTECH's IT degree 60,000 a yr? cause I read someone say it was half UWI's cost.

as to the arguement about students being given too much of a choice in what subjects they do ... having to choose 3/4 or 4/5 courses each semester is not much of a choice so I don't think that can be blamed for UWI students so called lack of marketable skills.

UWI is not a university strong on the technical side of things as compared to the University of TECHNOLOGY but there is an arguement for teaching the science side of computers as it very often produces the researchers that advance the field.

Being a UWI student I think that UTECH has a more technical program yes and probably more marketable yes but I know that UWI gives you enough of an introduction to the required technologies for a person genuinely interested to take it further. My courses introduced me to C/C++/Java/other programming languages but it's my drive that took me to the intermediate level in them.

BIG UP to UTECH program cause it sounds wonderful but I wouldn't have wanted to spend 5 yrs doing an undergrad degree and to be quite honest I like the degree that I've done being in the final yr of my 3 yr program and as soon as I finish my degree MCSE here I come that gives me B Sc + MSCE in about 4 yrs then hopefully in the 5th yr I find a Masters I like.
    IT Consultant

the school fee for this year is actually 105 k for school of computing..i dont think they literally meant half the cost of uwi
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz
    I hear alot being said about UWI program vs UTECH is there actually anyone here except me that has done or is doing Computer Science @ UWI?

Is the fee for UTECH's IT degree 60,000 a yr? cause I read someone say it was half UWI's cost.

as to the arguement about students being given too much of a choice in what subjects they do ... having to choose 3/4 or 4/5 courses each semester is not much of a choice so I don't think that can be blamed for UWI students so called lack of marketable skills.

UWI is not a university strong on the technical side of things as compared to the University of TECHNOLOGY but there is an arguement for teaching the science side of computers as it very often produces the researchers that advance the field.

Being a UWI student I think that UTECH has a more technical program yes and probably more marketable yes but I know that UWI gives you enough of an introduction to the required technologies for a person genuinely interested to take it further. My courses introduced me to C/C++/Java/other programming languages but it's my drive that took me to the intermediate level in them.

BIG UP to UTECH program cause it sounds wonderful but I wouldn't have wanted to spend 5 yrs doing an undergrad degree and to be quite honest I like the degree that I've done being in the final yr of my 3 yr program and as soon as I finish my degree MCSE here I come that gives me B Sc + MSCE in about 4 yrs then hopefully in the 5th yr I find a Masters I like.

For years this competition between UWI/UTech has been going on. If you ask me, I think it's ridiculous. They are both good tertiary institutions and cater for different needs. I too use to attend UTech and lots of ppl seems to think that because UTech cram their students with a lot of assignments that it makes it a better institution. Yes their course outlines are good and they are very good when it comes to the practical side. However, it doesn't mean that UWI is not as good. In fact, UWI appears to have a better international reputation than UTech. UTech is now making it's international mark but UWI is more acceptable, granted I think its because they have been at the University level forever unlike UTech.

You can start off in different ways...but isn't the question where is it you want to go and how soon can you get there? Education makes you trainable. Do the UTECH and UWI graduates end up in the same place in the IT industry?

Wiz

You've made some very excellent points. So lest any one misunderstand me (as it tends to be the case) let me make a few things clear:

1. I in no way intended to start a thread that fosters competitive debate about which university is better. I was merely updating folks on happenings @ UTECH. In fact, I believe each institution has its strengths, it's just a matter of how you want to enter the working world. As such:

2. I am in no way denegrating UWI students or UWI's course or UWI. I am merely stating facts. No need for anyone to get defensive. Both are equally strong institutions with their own strengths and weaknesses. I would not do a degree in medicine at UTECH. That's for sure!

3. I do not believe that UWI Comp Sci. grads are useless or incompetent or otherwise - in fact, one little detail I left out of my previous postings (in order to keep it short - and it still wasn't short enough) was that all the true computer geniuses I know went to UWI, but they never integrated well right off the bat out here - in fact, they either ended up:

a. Starting their own business (which took time to get off the ground)
    b. Working overseas where their knowledge actually has practical application
    c. Lecturing @ UWI (or UTECH or IMP etc...)

That's not to say that UWI grads don't get jobs. That could be no further from the truth. In fact, an interesting observation is that UWI grads are better able to abstract and apply themselves than UTECH grads who tend to be affixed to a certain methodology. That can either be a strength or a weakness depending on your personality. But every coin has a flipside:

Have you ever heard of the brain loop phenomenon? It's a condition where someone does a degree that is so specialized or so theory based or so highly sophisticated, that it has very little practical application in the local market place, except to teach it again in order to survive. Such degrees only allow the pursuer to know more and more about less and less. That's exactly what I'm running away from. Because the more I know about less, the less useful I become to more of the market. You follow?

Quote Originally Posted by ges
    You can start off in different ways...but isn't the question where is it you want to go and how soon can you get there? Education makes you trainable. Do the UTECH and UWI graduates end up in the same place in the IT industry?
    well i have no experience but i have heard that a utech student .. due to the belief of technical experience ... gets accepted in positions over a uwi student.
    then again i beleive its not wat u know but who u know suh it dont really matter.
    "Dont watch me ... watch TV"

With respect to quickly acquiring a Master's Degree:

I don't want to do a degree where either doing a masters or teaching are my only options after finishing the first degree. To me, that's impractical, because managers don't hire young people with Magna Cum Laude Master's degrees and no work experience. To me that's a waste of time (however shorter time it takes) and I most certainly won't get paid for my master's degree. I speak from observational experience.

With our economy, if God forbid I am unable to make immediate use of my B.Sc. to put food in my mouth, and I can't afford to do the Masters just yet, then I'll be in a rather precarious position - this may not be the case for every joe, but it does happen! I want to be able to hit the ground running, and advance career-wise very quickly, without a need to do a masters just yet - as that's only siphoning money out of my pocket, but not putting much back in. Master's degrees are NOT cheap and should only be acquired after gaining the necessary work experience (in fact, at one point in time, UWI required 2 years work experience, but that no longer seems to be the case).

My simple view is that a degree of qualification should not just be a certification that you attended a well-known institution for 3-5 years of your precious life. It should be worth something in cash. Cash that you take to the bank. Unfortunately for us, not everyone, even after doing a degree at any given institution, knows how to quickly convert that knowledge into hard cold cash. That's where value added technical education comes in. That's why, to me, it makes more practical sense. It's good to know. But it's even better to know how. Knowledge is trivial if it has no practical purpose or application.