Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Default Re: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsKiss
    Something you should know, when you talk about international accreditation (or any accrediation for that matter), it's good to know what accreditation body that the course/school is accredited by. There are many accreditations. Note also, the University (school) accreditation is different from the degree/program accrediations.

For example...using MIT, they are accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. However, many of their programs are accredited by various professional accrediting bodies, eg:

American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business
    Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
    American Chemical Society
    American Institute of Chemical Engineers
    Computer Science Accreditation Board, the National Architectural Accrediting Board
    Planning Accreditation Board

I mentioned this, because if you plan to do further studies or work in north America, it is important to note the various acreditation bodies, especially in certain fields like engineering which requires specific accreditation.

My point exactly. Could say a bit more, but I don't want to go off the topic of the thread.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

Quote Originally Posted by icuucme
    where did u get the info about the accreditation?
    - From lecturers. They broke the news after several days of meetings with these bodies and UCJ. Lecturers had a week-long discussion with them about the degree course etc. No official publication has been made yet. Hence why I said you heard it on TJ first.

Nas, AK

Agreed. I wasn't being very detailed was I? My apologies. I'm referring to:

Degree Accreditation - The Computing B.Sc. is now accredited by several international engineering & computing bodies out of MIT. The reviewers were extremely impressed with the programme which was originally modelled from MIT's computing & engineering course. In layman's terms, according to the reviewers, the UTECH Comp Sci. B.Sc. degree = MIT Comp Sci. B.Sc. degree. In fact, even our final exam papers, projects etc. are verified by professors from these institutions before our grades are finalized on paper. They've been doing that for years as a part of the process in order to get to this point.

Sorry for not being specific enough. I'm well aware of the two types. I just (wrongly) assumed that readers would infer from the specific nature of the post (About the Comp Sci B.Sc. Degree) that it would be obvious.

My bad.

I will continue to spill more as I become aware of new info. Stay tuned.

Nas

The degree course is really 4 years. The first year will most likely be employed for those who don't have A'-Levels - kinda like UWI's pre-University program. This is new info I'm receiving just today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UWI's Comp Sci. degree 4 years if you don't have A' Levels and 3 years otherwise? I believe the new system is similar in some respects.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    The academic year beginning September 2005/06 is the last time that the 4-year B.Sc. degree course in Computing and Information Technology (which only requires 5 CXCs/O'Levels with Mathematics, English & Physics) will be carried at the university. After that iteration, it will be deprecated permanently.
    I think what you meant to say is that the 4 year program has been deprecated and as of 2006/2007 will become obsolete. I'm sorry, I just had to

I think 5 years is a ridiculous amount of time to be spending pursuing a degree. I just completed the four year degree and that was a long time. I also don't like the shift from IT to Science. Sounds like they will be making it less of a technical course. But I might be wrong, one extra year is alot of time to do additional stuff in. But my grip still stands: 5 years is waaay long.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

- From lecturers. They broke the news after several days of meetings with these bodies and UCJ. Lecturers had a week-long discussion with them about the degree course etc. No official publication has been made yet. Hence why I said you heard it on TJ first.

Nas, AK

Agreed. I wasn't being very detailed was I? My apologies. I'm referring to:

Degree Accreditation - The Computing B.Sc. is now accredited by several international engineering & computing bodies out of MIT. The reviewers were extremely impressed with the programme which was originally modelled from MIT's computing & engineering course. In layman's terms, according to the reviewers, the UTECH Comp Sci. B.Sc. degree = MIT Comp Sci. B.Sc. degree. In fact, even our final exam papers, projects etc. are verified by professors from these institutions before our grades are finalized on paper. They've been doing that for years as a part of the process in order to get to this point.

Sorry for not being specific enough. I'm well aware of the two types. I just (wrongly) assumed that readers would infer from the specific nature of the post (About the Comp Sci B.Sc. Degree) that it would be obvious.
    When it comes to accreditations not many ppl understand it. Not something you want to assume or skimp on the explanations, especially since there are lots of youngsters on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by nder
    I think what you meant to say is that the 4 year program has been deprecated and as of 2006/2007 will become obsolete..
    - That's saying a very different thing my friend. The current 4 year program has not yet been deprecated and it is not going to become obsolete. If it were deprecated, they wouldn't be taking new students for it in Semptember 2005. Furthermore, if it were to become obsolete, that would mean that the new degree program would be an entirely new one - which it is not. It is merely an enhancement, not a replacement, of the current degree course.

I don't like the shift from IT to Science. Sounds like they will be making it less of a technical course. But I might be wrong, one extra year is alot of time to do additional stuff in.
    - Rest assured. You're quite wrong. If a woman is beautiful, changing her name won't make her any more or less beautiful. However, if she puts on weight, it might, depending on which side of the fence you're on.

It's the same thing here. I take it you're unfamiliar with what UTECH is well known for. Heck, I think it's quite clear in the very name: U-TECH... hmmm... seems pretty obvious to me!

No, but on a serious note, the name change is merely to comply with (certain) international standards based on UCJ recommedation. The course content is still very much the same - for the most part anyway. New students come 2005 will have an even more vast skillset in 2009 than those graduating in 2005.

And in case you really don't know what utech is well known for: Students leave with not only a degree, but a massive skillset, ready to hit the ground running without any need for additional training in most cases. Real world managers love UTECH students because they don't have to send them on a specialized training course after they're hired. Digicel was heavily in attendance at the last Engineering Graduation. Price Waterhouse was heavily in attendance at the last School of Business Graduation. Cable & Wireless and several other IT firms had representatives at the last SCIT graduation. There's a reason for that you know.

I think 5 years is a ridiculous amount of time to be spending pursuing a degree.
    - Response:

Quote Originally Posted by Myself
    The degree course is really 4 years. The first year will most likely be employed for those who don't have A'-Levels - kinda like UWI's pre-University program. This is new info I'm receiving just today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UWI's Comp Sci. degree 4 years if you don't have A' Levels and 3 years otherwise? I believe the new system is similar in some respects.
    It's funny how you pay attention to some details and completely miss the point, then miss the details really pertinent to your concern, and still miss the point. I'm sorry, I just had to.

No but seriously, it's 4 years w. A' Levels, 5 years w/o to the best of my understanding thus far. Ya get it? Ya get it! Great! Party!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsKiss
    When it comes to accreditations not many ppl understand it. Not something you want to assume or skimp on the explanations, especially since there are lots of youngsters on this forum
    - You're absolutely right AK. One would think that after being on this forum for 1½ years that I'd have figured this out by now. Even that poll we conducted some time ago showed this. Man my skull is thick.

But you know what's funny AK? If I'm detailed, they complain that it's too long and that I'm trying to insult their intelligence. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

*AK...dons her devil's hat*

Maybe UTech is just highly overated

I would like to tell you which is highly overrated, but due to how I'm outnumbered by those grads.... I betta shet me mout'

Some man cyaa play, u zimi?

But you know what's funny AK? If I'm detailed, they complain that it's too long and that I'm trying to insult their intelligence. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    Thats life for you

Seriously though, I mentioned the accrediation, because it's a very important part of choosing a college/university and program.

Too often we hear an institution say they are accredited by an international body. However, when you check the body they are accredited to, is of no consequence. also they will tell you they (the institution) are accredited when may be it's just one of their programs that has an accreditation. There use to be a particular tertiary institution right here in Jamaica that would do just that.

over-rated, do you know any body in scit, and thier workload.