Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADSL Noise Filtering on Dial-up..

Default Re:ADSL Noise Filtering on Dial-up..

[quote author=Nastrodamus link=board=3;threadid=740;start=0#msg5783 date=1053352017]...However, if you still need the filter, you can get it from Infochan.[/quote]

Infochannel does not stock equipment. They'll arrange to get the parts for you IF you are one of their customers.

Are you saying that we couldn't request the name of the supplier from them?

That would be silly, especially since they have pull out of the low end of the ADSL market (256k-700k).

Come to think of it.....

Can anyone explain why infochan don't offer 256k nor 700k anymore?

[quote author=Nastrodamus link=board=3;threadid=740;start=0#msg5786 date=1053355047]
    Come to think of it.....

Can anyone explain why infochan don't offer 256k nor 700k anymore?[/quote]

Simply put (without getting into too much specifics), they don't find it financially feasible to offer anything less.

In addition to that Chris, Cable & Wireless was giving them a raw deal for that low end. They were promising their customers 384 down 128 up. However, since they are running off a rented Cable & Wireless T1 pipe, they were forced to split up that pipe for several customers. That means they'd have to buy a new pipe everytime the C & W pipe was full. Furthermore, people were not getting their stipulated bandwidth.

What this posed was serious customer problems, since the splitting up of the pipes caused some people to not get service at all. In addition to that, everytime a customer called InfoChannel to report a fault, they kept telling their customers to call Cable & Wireless, or directly referred them to Cable & Wireless. The truth is that InfoChan did not have direct access to the necessary know how to fix the problems that occurred with the ADSL lines. Ofcourse, that meant that customers started unsubscribing to InfoChan's ADSL service in droves. After the last customer transferred to Cable & Wireless, InfoChan threw in the towel.

In the end, InfoChan was forced to close the pipe rental / splitting scheme. Cable & Wireless can afford to run direct circuits to each and every customer without splitting up any pipes. InfoChan ofcourse, can't do that (they don't have that kinda capital or access to the technology). So InfoChan has reverted to doing what they were doing before, renting entire T1 pipes to business end customers.

Ofcourse, I'm not sure how they work that out since C & W is also doing the same thing. I don't know how they work out the pricing thing. I'm not even sure if what they're doing makes any sense since C & W has the edge where that is concerned anyways...

Well since u all agree on it, I won't bother to get it then...

Did you fellaz know that Anbell also stopped selling DSL also, strange isn't it???

Not strange. Look at it this way. C&W pioneered the technology in the country. So they're like the big bully holding the only access to the water drum. If anybody else wants to sell water, the big bully going to make it hard for them to prosper. Sooner or later, they give up. Big bully wins.

The only way another company can successfully bring ADSL to Jamaica is if they bring and build their own infrastructure. Barring that, C&W will remain ADSL and communications King for a very very looong time.

Speaking of noise filtering and ADSL, I have an interesting scenario at my place.

I have three phone outlets/extensions including the master jack. On one extension by my computer desk I have the POTS splitter for my modem and phone. On the other two extensions I tried an ADSL line filter and a phone instrument - pure noise in the background! Ok, so I say the filters are no good but try another phone instrument just in case - good sound, no noise. Furthermore, I try the same phone instrument that sounds ok and plug it into the extension WITHOUT the filter. No change - sounds good without noise ???

So what gives? Only one type of phone works ok, the others produce static frying in the background.

its called impedance my friend. this is how you know when a device is matching the telecoms standard or not. i get the same BS here. one phone i have is extremely quiet.
    oh, just ensuring you know, you may do, only the master socket should carry the filter for the adsl modem. technically, it shouldnt go unto an extension. the master socket should be the only socket that carries the ring circuit. a cap and resistor. to have more than one in the house means you are loading your line and you may see a change in impedance on your line circuit. this changes the power factor and your signal will degrade. so will your speed. an u caa hav dat

heres a useful adsl site we use in UK. it may show you how things are going here as well considering we are fairly new to it too. you may see other tips etc there that may prove useful.
    http://www.adslguide.org

[quote author=deakie link=board=3;threadid=740;start=15#msg6569 date=1054026273]oh, just ensuring you know, you may do, only the master socket should carry the filter for the adsl modem. technically, it shouldnt go unto an extension. the master socket should be the only socket that carries the ring circuit. a cap and resistor. to have more than one in the house means you are loading your line and you may see a change in impedance on your line circuit. this changes the power factor and your signal will degrade. so will your speed. an u caa hav dat [/quote]

News to me!

I have the splitter on an extension, not the master jack. Hmmm....I'll have to check this out ASAP. I hope that it's not going to be a problem because the master jack isn't near to where the computer is.