• lv21-30 Professional

0 0%
  • lv31-40 Expert

0 0%
  • lv41-50 "THE STIG"

3 60.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If U Got Forza 2 Post In Here

Depends on the drivetrain and the track the car is being tuned for.

This is where the telemetry in Forza comes in very handy. Use the telemetry and check the tire temperatures of each tire after you have done a couple of laps on the desired track.

An under inflated tire would result in only the inner and outer contact patches making contact with the road thus resulting in higher temperatures on these patches while the middle contact patch would be much lower in temperature.

An over inflated tire would result in the middle contact patch having a much higher temperature than the outer and inner contact patches.

Always try to achieve a good balance between the three contact patches.

Since your tires are the only part of the car that makes contact with the road surface, careful tuning can result in great benefits to the driver.

Tires also have an ideal temperature range, for racing tires I believe the ideal range is between 200 - 220 degrees (not 100% sure on this) so you will also want to watch the telemetry to ensure that your temps are between this range (for racing tires).

A simple way to determine your ideal tire pressure in Forza is to use the bench mark tool, in the tuning section, simply set the desired tire pressure (I usually start with 28 on the front and 29 on the rear) then go to the bench mark tool and do a bench mark, whichever setting produces the highest lateral G forces at the bottom of the report is a good settings to start with (but tweaking using the telemetry for a track is a wise step also) - the higher the laterals Gs, the better the car will corner thus resulting in faster lap times.

My average drive train breakdown below:

4WD: 29 Front 29 Rear
    FWD: 30 Front 29 Rear
    RWD: 28 Front 30 Rear

Also bear in mind that any change made to your car will affect the tires, so if you lower the suspension for example, you might also need to re-adjust your tire temperatures and also with any adjustments you are making to your car balance is what you are trying to achieve, in other words you don't want a car that understeers or oversteers too much, you want a balance between the two, since FWDs are prone to understeer you compensate for this by forcing more traction on the front wheels, RWDs are prone to oversteer so you want to force more traction unto the rear.

I always prefer to have a balanced car than a speed demon so while a lot of Forza players tend to go for high horsepower, I tend to go for handling parts which is the first section I head to when I am upgrading - Makes no sense having a 600hp Evo if whenever you press the gas it spins out.

Ahh, now you have brought back the Forza vibe, will definitely be on later. Simple things like tuning tire pressure to get it right is why I think that Forza is the best racing simulation on the console to date.
    Last edited by seanbee20; Jan 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5
    POWERED By: LIME 3G

suh how you never tell mi dat before?.... all this time you are beating me and i thought it was skills lol.... i heard the guys in my headset talking about tire pressure so that is why i asked
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    suh how you never tell mi dat before?.... all this time you are beating me and i thought it was skills lol.... i heard the guys in my headset talking about tire pressure so that is why i asked
    lol, you never asked.

You will be spending quite a lot of time tuning in this game if you want to be get very fast laps. A time consuming process but very worth it. All of my cars usually undergo hours of tuning before I drive them competitively especially cars in the lower classes which you require that slight edge to win.

I participate in quite a few racing weekly tournaments (usually 25 or 50 laps depending on track) and tuning for such events usually involves:

1) Buying parts more suited for the track being raced, for speed tracks I mostly put on horsepower parts, for the others I go with handling
    2) Achieving balance that compliments my driving style, I tend to prefer a slight oversteer on my cars
    3) Fuel consumption testing, I basically do several runs using my final setup to determine on what lap number/s I will pit and how hard I should push the car to preserve the tire.
    4) Determining special tune for qualifications - the tune you use for qualification at times needs to differ from the actual race tune cause qualification usually only spans two laps. I usually raise the tire pressure much higher than my race setup so that the tires reach their optimal range faster and since I am not worried about damage to the tires I can get away with this.

Forza has a wonderful community supporting it with tons of information on tuning so with some quick google searches you should be able to find a ton of resources.

Another tip: learn to race without TCS and Stability control, these assists actually slow you down, for instance when you have severe wheel spin, TCS assists you by actually limiting the rotation of the tire that has exceeded its traction limit and as such reduces your speed, the mere fact that TCS was activated means that you as the driver did something wrong, you went above the maximum threshold for that tire, TCS therefore is actually limiting your growth as a driver cause it is not forcing you to know the limits of the car you are driving.
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5