Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solar Air Conditioning

I honestly wouldnt use solar for the ENTIRE house, but for most daily appliances: Fridge, Microwave, TV, Stereo and such.
    Only we can save us.

fridge, ac, water heater is probably 80% of your electricity bill.

converting those to solar will cost an arm+leg+first born+your virginity even if you dont pay duty in getting the equipment in.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    fridge, ac, water heater is probably 80% of your electricity bill.

converting those to solar will cost an arm+leg+first born+your virginity even if you dont pay duty in getting the equipment in.
    exactly. if you switch all those appliances to solar your light bill shouldnt exceed $500 per month......... my mom had just a fridge n tv and iron, n her bill was like (b4 the raise in fees) $400.00 per month.......
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

Exactly, so the question is.....where do we start to look to get what we need to reduce the monthly bill?

I found this sometime ago and I may have posted it already, but I thought it was an inexpensive start. SOURCE

Build a Solar Power Station
    Cost: $150
    Time: 3
    Hours
    Easy | | | | |
    Hard

Parts

* A. Bamboo scraps ($7; local flooring store)
    * B. Sunforce five-watt, 12-volt solar panel ($48; amazon.com
    )
    * C. Quarter-inch plastic mono plug
    (50; allelectronics.com; #SPH)
    * D. Solar DC charger controller for solar panel ($28; allelectronics.com; #SCN-2)
    * E. 12-volt 12AH rechargeable battery
    ($36; allelectronics.com; #GC-1214)
    * F. Four feet of 18-gauge wire
    ($5.65; allelectronics.com; #WRB-18)
    * G. Two female terminal disconnects
    (23; jameco.com; #109112)
    * H. 15-amp DC panel meter
    ($12; allelectronics.com; #PMD-15A)
    * I. Reese "Towpower" connector
    ($9; local auto-parts shop)
    * J. Cigarette-lighter "Y" adapter
    ($3.65; allelectronics.com; #CLP-Y
    Last edited by KoyoteGambit; May 12, 2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: DIY Solar Panel Info
    Only we can save us.

that look like a pimped out bird house still.

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    i know some person that use solar to power there entire house the starting cost of the unit will look expensive but it will pay off, the set bak they cant use all the items at once if they are was they thay to turn off some other things like fridge or other equipment.
    u have an exact figure of how many solar panels they using y they can't run that much equipment at once?
    Thermaltake Matrix VX, Athlon 64 X2 AM2 4200+, (2) ATi x600 128MB (temporary), Asus M2N-Sli Board, 2.5GB DDR2 667, (2) 160GB Maxtor SATA II

That's a great start for something (the picture above with the cell phone), at least it gets people thinking. But my question still remains. "Is it possible that I can just put an Air Conditioning Unit on one"?. My bills are ok. I've been thinking of putting an AC Unit in my room, but I'm really worried about the cost if I use it on my regular electricity bill (JPS just waan see di AC pan u wall, an den charge u di two a u hand dem and one leg). So I want to look at other options, and I believe that Solar is one of them, I just don't know if i could afford it. I'm willing to Spend something like 500k, maybe a little more, or a little less. Just to get an Air Conditioning Unit running without JPS intervening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohcaloz View Post
    That's a great start for something (the picture above with the cell phone), at least it gets people thinking. But my question still remains. "Is it possible that I can just put an Air Conditioning Unit on one"?. My bills are ok. I've been thinking of putting an AC Unit in my room, but I'm really worried about the cost if I use it on my regular electricity bill (JPS just waan see di AC pan u wall, an den charge u di two a u hand dem and one leg). So I want to look at other options, and I believe that Solar is one of them, I just don't know if i could afford it. I'm willing to Spend something like 500k, maybe a little more, or a little less. Just to get an Air Conditioning Unit running without JPS intervening.
    Your answer depends upon capacity. Yes an entire house can be powered by solar but things like Irons, Electric stoves and AC units would not be recommended unless you plan to equip the separetly. Solar Power is stored in battery banks. The aim is to store enough energy on your bank for usage later. You would not to drain or starve the battery bank on one appliance or unit so conservvation is the order of the day. Of course if you must have your a/c or electric stove it would be wise to have their own storage bank so as not to drain your main bank.
    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

......but to add to above--there is not a real seriousness to alternative energy when talking about electric stoves and a/c--which you would be in a 48v system to accomplish this ---we as a world of intellgent human beings need to change our life style--downsize everything--desktoo to laptop--flat screen tv that uses ac adapter--as much as you can get to run on dc rather than ac the better--fridges that run dc are now very expensive--ac smaller fridge with good energy rating,and good insulating is a start--we can't do everything at once but we have to make a serious start--a journey of a thousand miles begins with a step.........
    Last edited by soapcreek; May 15, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Quote Originally Posted by epyon_jm View Post
    u have an exact figure of how many solar panels they using y they can't run that much equipment at once?
    u know i asked and his answer was that it was use up to much power at once to run all of them at once so use them less in the day and more at nights to make sure there is enuff power at nights

Quote Originally Posted by soapcreek View Post
    ......but to add to above--there is not a real seriousness to alternative energy when talking about electric stoves and a/c--which you would be in a 48v system to accomplish this ---we as a world of intellgent human beings need to change our life style--downsize everything--desktoo to laptop--flat screen tv that uses ac adapter--as much as you can get to run on dc rather than ac the better--fridges that run dc are now very expensive--ac smaller fridge with good energy rating,and good insulating is a start--we can't do everything at once but we have to make a serious start--a journey of a thousand miles begins with a step.........
    when growing up we all wished for the finer things in light also for stuff that made things easy not we have them we have to go back to the hard way to conserve are we as human going forward or backward
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; May 15, 2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts