Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic TCP/IP Principles

Exclamation Basic TCP/IP Principles

Follow the bouncing Packet, and place the steps in the correct order if you are connecting to a Web page from your Home PC:

1: The Network Interface Layer protocols consider the Internet Layer information as the payload (or data) that needs to be delivered and they create header information to help with the delivery of the datagram to a destination on the local network, as well as trailer information that is used to ensure the packet did not get damaged in transit. That information is placed on the local network.

2. The Transport Layer protocol strops the header and trailer information and passes the payload to the Application Layer.

3. The Internet Layer protocol consider the transport layer information as the payload (or data) that needs to be delivered and they create header information to help with the delivery of the datagram to the destination. That information is passed to the Network Interface Layer.

4. The Internet Layer protocols strip the header and trailer information from the packet, and pass the payload to the Transport Layer.

5. The Application that is specified to manage the data recieves the data.

6. An Application is started that needs to connect to a Server and retrieve information. A message is created and passed from the Application Layer to the Transport layer.

7. The Newtork Interface Layer protocols strip the header and trailer information from the datagram and pass the payload to the Internet Layer.

8. The Transport Layer protocols consider the Application layer information as the payload (or data) that needs to be delivered and they create header information to help with delivery of the information to the destination. That information is passed to the Internet Layer.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Hmm, after going through TCP/IP let me give this a shot.

Correct order is 6, 8, 3, 1. then when it reaches the dest host the reverse process occurs which is 7, 4, 2, 5.
    [AMD Gallardo] [Asus M2N SLI Deluxe] [AMD 5000+ X2 black edition @ 3.2GHZ] [Zalman CNPS9700 LED][ EVGA 8800GT 512MB] [Gskill 2GB x 2 DDR2800] [Seagate 320GB IDE][Seagate 1TB, 750GB, 320GB SATA II][Western Digital 1TB SATA II][XION 600W] [NEC DL DVD-RW] [Antec Nine Hundred MidATX] [19" BenQ FP93GX LCD][40" Samsung LNA500LCD HDTV 1080p][Logitech X-230 2.1]

Well, i dont feel so fool now, cause that's what I thought too..
    he he he...
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Okay, so have you heard otherwise? ok nvm, I know you've heard and seen a lot of crap lol. Just wondering why are you asking if someone said otherwise.
    [AMD Gallardo] [Asus M2N SLI Deluxe] [AMD 5000+ X2 black edition @ 3.2GHZ] [Zalman CNPS9700 LED][ EVGA 8800GT 512MB] [Gskill 2GB x 2 DDR2800] [Seagate 320GB IDE][Seagate 1TB, 750GB, 320GB SATA II][Western Digital 1TB SATA II][XION 600W] [NEC DL DVD-RW] [Antec Nine Hundred MidATX] [19" BenQ FP93GX LCD][40" Samsung LNA500LCD HDTV 1080p][Logitech X-230 2.1]

Actually, I am doing some reading, and the book told me that our answers were those of the unskooled N00b, worthy only of being mocked and pwned....

I wanted to get some feedback on what u guys thought, before i condemn myself to N00bness, or consider the bookwriter soft in the head.
    Last edited by Nestersan; Jan 16, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

hmm, so what answer does the book give?

is what it said....
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post

is what it said....
    Dash weh dat book! What it says is horribly wrong. Check another source.

LOL, once i saw 4 as the start dats clearly garbage haha. packets are first encapsulated from the source host, from the highest layer, (application) right down to the last with each layer adding its own headers and trailers which become the payload of the layer below. After its sent on its way, the opposite occurs at the destination host which is decapsulation. Here, each layer strips the headers and trailers of the corresponding layer on the source host and passes the data up till it reaches the application layer. Same thing whether your looking at OSI model just more layers to go through.

I was beginning to doubt my sanity, but I realise that the person who did the proofing of the book is not a computer person and made a typo, cause the next batch of qusetion asks the same thing almost and have it correctly....

I feel sorry for anyone who uses that info in an exam.....
    Listen and gain Wisdom.