Thread: Query: Updating MSI BIOS using M-Flash

Question Query: Updating MSI BIOS using M-Flash

Howdy,
    My BIOS is outdated.

1. I am planning to do a MSI BIOS update Using M-Flash
    2. My version: Version: 1.10 Date: 22/7/2015
    3. Latest and final version: 7977v1I Date : 2018-07-02
    4. Never done this before. Am fearful of making a mess
    5. Articles and vids keep speaking about the USB that I need to copy the latest version to. Here is my point for clarification:
    After I copy the file to the USB, do I eject it (as one vid said)? (as in remove the USB?)
    The instructions says that I will have to “select the USB drive with the BIOS file”. When did I plug back in the USB?
    What size USB am I using?

I know these may seem like very simple questions but a computer techie I am not.

Motherboard specs:

Motherboard
    Manufacturer: MSI
    Model: Z170A GAMING M5 (MS-7977) (U3E1)
    Version: 1.0
    Chipset Vendor: Intel
    Chipset Model: Skylake
    Chipset Revision: 07
    Southbridge Vendor: Intel
    Southbridge Model: Z170
    Southbridge Revision: 31
    System Temperature: 43 °C
    BIOS
    Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
    Version: 1.10
    Date: 22/7/2015

Summary (and full) specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/f...xR4YPC72E2FgCC

NB: I know the unit is old. I will be having a senior citizen use this one for occassional email checks etc.

Thank you,
    Last edited by AleeJ; Oct 5, 2023 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Give focussed motherboard specs

Before attempting any BIOS flash, ensure you have stable power. This means a UPS or solar. You don't want a power cut during a BIOS flash or it will result in a bricked board.

I've not seen the links you posted, but typically for a flash process from within a utility in the BIOS - it goes kinda like this:

• Plug in a USB. Any size will do. BIOS files are small. 8GB or more.
    • Since most USB drives these days are 16GB or more - as said before - any size will do.
    • Format the USB drive. Right-Click on it in Windows and format.
    • On completion, copy the ZIP file to the USB drive.
    • Right-Click on the ZIP/compressed file and extract it to the USB drive.
    • No need to eject the drive since you're going to be using it.
    • Reboot the system.
    • Go into the BIOS - F2, DEL or some other key.
    • Locate the flash utility.
    • Locate your USB drive from the utility and navigate (using arrow/enter key) to the location of the flash file.
    • Leave it to do what it needs to do.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Greetings Aleej,

Welcome to the forums.

First big question is: why are you upgrading the BIOS?
    BIOS's are typically not something you want to mess with unless you know there is a specific issue it will fix for your system.
    You don't want to upgrade your BIOS just because there is a new version. This isn't like a typical version upgrade of your favourite windows software.

If everything is working fine on your PC, then skip upgrading the BIOS.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Thanks khat17 and Arch_Angel.

@khat17
    I do have UPS and solar. And thanks for the very clear steps

@Arch_Angel
    Thanks for giving me a thinkng point. I have one software that was giving me multiple screens whenever I moved my mouse. Another forum suggested upgrading the BIOS since mine was out of date. "You don't want to upgrade your BIOS just because there is a new version." This is very good to know as I assumed that all cmpts should be the latest version.

Given my immediate future use of the unit (elderly person checkeing email, maybe using YouTube and not using the software with the problem, would the verdict be to leave it?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by AleeJ View Post
    Thanks khat17 and Arch_Angel.

@khat17
    I do have UPS and solar. And thanks for the very clear steps

@Arch_Angel
    Thanks for giving me a thinkng point. I have one software that was giving me multiple screens whenever I moved my mouse. Another forum suggested upgrading the BIOS since mine was out of date. "You don't want to upgrade your BIOS just because there is a new version." This is very good to know as I assumed that all cmpts should be the latest version.

Given my immediate future use of the unit (elderly person checkeing email, maybe using YouTube and not using the software with the problem, would the verdict be to leave it?

Thanks,
    Upgrading your BIOS, in my humble opinion, should be the very last option you choose, after you have exhausted all other options. There is very few options to recover from a failed BIOS upgrade, or an upgrade that might not work well with your system.

That aside, maybe share with us your exact issue with this particular software. Maybe we can find another solution other than a BIOS upgrade?

1. What software is this that's giving the issue?
    2. Did the other forum not offer any other solution other than a BIOS upgrade?
    3. What have you tried to fix this multiple screen issue?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Upgrading your BIOS, in my humble opinion, should be the very last option you choose, after you have exhausted all other options. There is very few options to recover from a failed BIOS upgrade, or an upgrade that might not work well with your system.

That aside, maybe share with us your exact issue with this particular software. Maybe we can find another solution other than a BIOS upgrade?

1. What software is this that's giving the issue?
    2. Did the other forum not offer any other solution other than a BIOS upgrade?
    3. What have you tried to fix this multiple screen issue?
    Software: SystmOne
    Other solution: clear some space on the unit (have done)
    Tried: Spoke to the manufacturers but they have never seen anything like it.

The problem does not happen on any of my laptops. So I figured it was something with the unit. Then I thought perhaps it was the age of the unit. Doesn't happen with any other software. I can't post pics of the software.

Details:

I will be working in the software and when I move the mouse to interact, a new instance of the screen will appear. Wherever I move the mouse a new one will appear. Sometimes, I can move the mouse to see a button (e.g. 'OK' or 'Cancel') so I can close what I was doing. I can't share the exact screen (copyright and such) but please see the mock diagram below where every 'new screen' is where I move the mouse to. At this point, it can keep replicating to infinity. It does not clear with time. It does not clear by minimising. It does not clear by moving around the mouse. Recovers when: I close the programme and restart (until the next time it happens, but it doesn't happen every time I run the programme)

Monitor

No dead pixels or any physical disturbances. No colour disturbance. (There is a very small dead fly in the screen. Big as the letter 'r'.)

I agree with AA. You have two other options immediately that I can think of.

COMPATIBILITY MODE
    You could try running the software in compatibility mode for an older OS. Many of these medical software apps don't run on the "latest and greatest" so try compatibility mode for XP or 7.

https://www.lifewire.com/run-older-p...y-mode-4587064

https://helpdesk.forestry.oregonstat...0compatibility

VM
    Run the software in a VM and check to see if you still have the issue. If you have Win11 Pro - you have a "sandbox" available. Run in the sandbox for testing and see. Use VMWare or VirtualBox and do checks to see if the software works in another OS - or a "clean" instance like in the sandbox.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thanks khat17. Makes perfect sense.