Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Import Duty imposed on laptops?

Default Is Import Duty imposed on laptops?

Just a quick question. Supposed to get a laptop new from Canada. I am thinking about getting here via uncle who is coming to ja soon. Question...will the laptop attract any form of duty at the airport or any other unexpected hindrance in terms of clearing the item?

Next question, what is the best courier service (reliability, pricing) to use if i opt to have the laptop shipped to JA?

No... tell you uncle to remove all packaging and plastic and just carry it like his own laptop. He won't be charge anything. Besides... laptops are duty free. If you're using a courier, try This place

Need membership though or link me.... Weight might cost you about 2.5k tops!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Ok cool, i think i'll let him carry it out then. If i have any other items i will consider the quickmail.

Gracias.

The quickmail thing, how does it work? the registration process that is. I tried the registration link but it timed out.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 15, 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

give thema call, thier serice is much better than globla couriers, who pissed me off again today

Ok, i will check them out soon.

yes ute, electro is right. Unpack it from the box to make sure. Then tell him if anyone asks is his own laptop. You should be set. I carried down a TV + PS2 and other stuff all duty free 2 years ago. all i even said was i got them for xmas and it done dere so lol.
    [AMD Gallardo] [Asus M2N SLI Deluxe] [AMD 5000+ X2 black edition @ 3.2GHZ] [Zalman CNPS9700 LED][ EVGA 8800GT 512MB] [Gskill 2GB x 2 DDR2800] [Seagate 320GB IDE][Seagate 1TB, 750GB, 320GB SATA II][Western Digital 1TB SATA II][XION 600W] [NEC DL DVD-RW] [Antec Nine Hundred MidATX] [19" BenQ FP93GX LCD][40" Samsung LNA500LCD HDTV 1080p][Logitech X-230 2.1]

No, I travel with 2 or 3 laptops all the time (US - JA) and never had any problem, Just tell Customs the laptop is for personal use and they normally let you go

Take the laptop out of the box and put it in a laptop bag (If it's going to come with someone from the U.S. or Canada) and bring it as a carry on item. If you want to ship it here just remove the box, plastic covers, etc. so it does not look like it's for resale.
    Last edited by mjj4363; Nov 16, 2007 at 04:19 AM.

Good to hear other confirmations. Sometimes persons complain about duty charge but i guess the packaging and/or the quantity was the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldayne View Post
    Good to hear other confirmations. Sometimes persons complain about duty charge but i guess the packaging and/or the quantity was the issue.
    yeah, remember this:

Cell Phones: Put them in your pocket before getting to the "line"
    Laptops: Laptop bag, remove anything that looks "new" like plastic covers, price tags, etc.
    Everything Else: Any other electronics you can put in your carry on or checked bags. I use a carry on over checked bags because I can protect the items I'm traveling with (phones, laptops, desktop parts, etc.) and also Customs in Jamaica does not really search carry on items good, 5 trips now and they have not searched my bags.

I remember getting a laptop from ma brother in Canada last year and to get it from customs I had to pay $14,000. (so they said) So ma mom called the office when she heard you don't pay duty an laptops and I got back$12,000. thing is it didn't have any packaging or stuff on it. was only in the case...but yeah if your uncle carries it as his own it ok.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.