Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Not worth your time and effort

Default Linux Not worth your time and effort

Just wanted to let everyone know not to waist there time trying to learn linux. That operating system is going nowhere. I have been doing computer support for 8 years now and found out that most users dont even know how to right click on my computer icon. Image these same people trying to do an update on linux or install even installing a scanner. Linux is not for the average person its main use is on servers for DHCP/DNS so if you are not learning the server edition you are wasting precious time.Im not a big microsoft fan but aleast they are user-friendly! Linux users let me know what you think!

Default Re:Linux Not worth your time and effort

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]
    Just wanted to let everyone know not to waist there time trying to learn linux. That operating system is going nowhere. I have been doing computer support for 8 years now and found out that most users dont even know how to right click on my computer icon. Image these same people trying to do an update on linux or install even installing a scanner. Linux is not for the average person its main use is on servers for DHCP/DNS so if you are not learning the server edition you are wasting precious time.Im not a big microsoft fan but aleast they are user-friendly! Linux users let me know what you think!
    [/quote]

You gotta be kidding ;D

duster you are about to be dusted.... need i say more?

I bet you are using windows right now

Let me indulge yu a bit [waxing deeply philospohical] Ah...This postualtion of Linux not being worth the time and effort must have come after some deep research of the userbase of Luinx and its growth or lack thereof. Could you expound for us the emperical evidence that will sustantiate your conclusion? Over what period of time do you perform this study? What is the sum total of your experince with linux as a IT professional.

;D

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48326 date=1090606351]
    I bet you are using windows right now
    [/quote]

By the way i run both....XP and Mandrake 10

I have worked with linux for 4 years. Its a decent OS if you are an IT Guru but the average user would not comfortably navigate trough it. Thats why it is going nowhere. Look how long this OS has been out. It will never reach the corporate desktop environment in this lifetime. Microsoft have 90% of the market share! Furthermore, There are so much variations. If you owned a business would you put an OS like that on your desktop? If you have a problem there is no vender to turn to. This OS needs to be standardize before it will even come close to MS.

I tried them all. BDS,REDHAT,SUSE,MADRAKE they are all the same.

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48332 date=1090606979]
    I tried them all. BDS,REDHAT,SUSE,MADRAKE they are all the same.
    [/quote]
    Dear Sir have you tried Suse lately http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...amp;CACHE_ID=0

I also recommend you come to one of the Jalug meetings and see Linux at work for yourself... www.jalug.org

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]
    [/quote]

You have highlighted the underlying problem, USER Knowledge....Both a Windows/Unix Admin will have the same problem, so its up to your IT Dept. to devise a User Training Stratedgy to make sure users have basic computing skills....

Face it the OS can be as "User Friendly" as possible if users dont know how to manipulate the system you will always have a burden on your Helpdesk for User support...