Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wii is not a graphics clown

Default Wii is not a graphics clown

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showt...t=68776&page=1

1. "Wii can't do Normal Mapping."

- Who actually said it couldn't? That's something I've always wondered.

Digital-Legends proved that even the N-Gage which didn't even have a 3d accelerator chip let alone shaders or h/w bump mapping did normal-mapping too.

and so can the Nokia N93's *Dreamcast* based PowerVR MBX graphics chip.

Furthermore, Konami will use Normal-mapping technology in Dewy's adventure for Wii and Factor 5 have already expressed their displeasure of developers not using normal-maps on the system.

The Wii isn't as capable at the techniques as some other systems, but it can be done to some capacity.

2. "Even though the Wii's ATI Hollywood GPU has a higher clock speed than the Xbox's XGPU, it still isn't capable of as many pixel fillrate calculations. Wii isn't capable of pixel shading. Nor is it capable of graphical effects such as stencil shadows, self-shadowing and light scattering".

This is wrong. Rogue Squadron II did these effects on Gamecube back in 2001, light scattering was an excellent addition in Rebel Strike in 2003.

The ATI Hollywood can actually produce "insane fillrates" to use Factor 5's words. Hollywood is capable of a pixel fill-rate of almost 972 mega pixels. Having such a high fill-rate capability means that the Wii can perform advanced shaders, advanced texture filtering and advanced multi-layer texture effects better than the Gamecube could.

MG will use a variety of shader integration techniques.

3. "Wii is hardly anymore powerful than the Gamecube. In fact its not much more capable than the PS2."

Don't make assumptions by what early Wii games display.

Wii's CPU for a start would arguably outrun the Xbox's twice over thanks to its fast Power PC architecture.

The huge RAM (over twice as big & faster) also allows for larger richer worlds than before.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..
    4. "The Wii is incapable of good physics."

Really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWlZ...elated&search=
    Wait til they switch the Vacuum Laser on, physics allover the place.

All those interactions at once? Wii was having a picnic, hardly touched Hollywood for graphics functions too. Broadway used a fraction of the CPU to compute those physics. The system is capable of even more. Btw, AGEIA Physics are already in use for current & future Wii titles.

5. "The controller interactions require huge amounts of processing power, that's holding back Wii graphics."

Incorrect. It doesn't have a performance hit. If it did this (below) wouldn't run in 60 frames per second with so many advanced effects.

Last edited by Nestersan; Jul 30, 2007 at 02:03 PM.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

HO hell yea, tell them how it is Nesterdan
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

explain to me why is the wii cpu twice as fast as the xbox's cpu

Excellent post nester

But i go back to this though. People always fail to realize that nintendo has always if not always the majority of the time had a huuuge amount of graphics and processing power. The only reason it has not been shown is because of the kind of games that is released on the system. The Nintendo 64 had more gfx than the ps, the gamecube had = or more than the box and the ps2 and the wii has = or more than the 360 or ps3. However the chances that it will be shown to a great extent is highly unlikely because developers have realized that the audience who purchase the nintendo consoles dont care about the gfx power of the console but more the quality of play of the games. If you dont believe that nintendo has the better games that you play over and over again... ask yourself this.

Why do people still play their n64 while ps owners have mostly moved on to the ps2 and the ps3, and dont say because they are backwards compatible, nobody plays gt1 anymore or gt2 for that matter. Nobody plays the first metal gear solid or the first splinter cell anymore. So why?

If you dont believe that the 64 had more power than the ps ask yourself this, which game does the ps have that can compare in anyway to the depth of zelda: ocarina of time, or donkey kong? You cant say final fantasy, because you had to re-load every 5 steps, half of the game was a movie and therefore shows nothing about the processing power except that its good to play video's with.

What about on the gamecube, have you ever thought about how powerful metroid prime was? Do you realize that the game's environment alone required a huge amount of power. Adding to that the intelligent AI and the physics involved in the game and you say it had no processing power? Please.

Whens the last time u played a game on a unmodded xbox or a unmodded ps2. Loading every 5 minutes, Frustratingly long load times only, to move from one open door to another open door slow and glitchy spots in its environments. Slowdowns when many people are on the screen... damn those graphics giants
    Last edited by Skillachi; Aug 3, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

True words = MG come out, everybody hype an dbawl for 2 months, game gather dust, same thing with GTA. People still playing N64, Ocarina of time voted greatest Video game of all time...

Grpfix wh0rez (90% of gamers today who actually think they are Hardcore Gamers ), need constant prettyness to justify their gaming.

"OMFG graphics r killer!" they scream. Then 2 weeks later the Disc is gathering dust or being used as drink coaster. lol.....

Panzer Dragoon Saga on SEGA Saturn (3D free roaming RPG on a system not designed for 3D) sells for $200 US on EBAY. Why Cause Gameplay is KING Noobz.

Look at my post about Contra 4, 2D pixellated Contra...Yet man a bawl and a salute like them hear seh dem win lotto.
    BListering, sense of accomplishment, GAMEPLAY, Balance and FUN.

I can log on to Nintendo wifi connection on my DS and play MarioKArt ANYTIME and find people to play.

More people are excited by a HD version of Street Fighter 2 than the perfectly rendered Heavenly Sword.

The majority of people on Xbox live not playing pretty games:

Geometry Wars ( 2D Shooter)
    Marble Blast Ultra (Cellphone Port)
    Gauntlet (Caveman Dayz)
    Smash TV (1990's)
    Zuma (Cellphone Port)

ROTFL...Hey look, the Xbox360 can render realistic nosehairs, but people would rather play this :

For the LAST TIME:

GAMEPLAY IS KING
    Last edited by Nestersan; Aug 3, 2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Nestersan, with each post u make, my respect for u as a TRUE(!!!!!!!) gamer grows
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

Quote Originally Posted by -=KzR.Erasor=- View Post
    Nestersan, with each post u make, my respect for u as a TRUE(!!!!!!!) gamer grows
    You would lose it all when you see how SF3 and WARZARD PWNing my ***...

My dual analog controller for PC, the left thumbstick rubber covering wear down to nub and broke off last night leaving hard plastic shell.

Thumb killing me, but i'm still gamin'

I need another:

Where can I get one ??

It is much bigger than logitec and more comfy
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
    Excellent post nester

But i go back to this though. People always fail to realize that nintendo has always if not always the majority of the time had a huuuge amount of graphics and processing power. The only reason it has not been shown is because of the kind of games that is released on the system. The Nintendo 64 had more gfx than the ps, the gamecube had = or more than the box and the ps2 and the wii has = or more than the 360 or ps3.

clipped for brevity
    the cube had more gfx than ps2 not xbox zeen get dat str8.......
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Aug 4, 2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: shortened quote

Poor fella, The Cube was the best of ALL the last gen consoles in GFX power.

Faster FSB,double the CPU L1 and L2 Cache, Faster Ram, Double texture Layers per pass than Xbox, which was itself better than PS2...
    Wake up from your dreams...
    Last edited by Nestersan; Aug 4, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

The gamecube really have power, Resident Evil 4 proof that for me
    ZEN
    CPU CORE i7 6850k @ 4GHz, RAM Gskill 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, GPU Asus GTX1070 Aura Storage: Samsung 512GB 950 Pro M.2 SSD , 500GB EVO , Cooling & Power Corsair RM750i & H100i V2 Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Atx