Thread: Cheapest way to home network

Default Cheapest way to home network

I would like to setup a small home network with just two computers (a 3rd may come in the future) primarly to share internet connection, but may also use for gaming later on. I would like to know what's the cheapest setup for such a network.
    The cables would need to run around 50 feet (for neatness).

Note: Using Gotel as my ISP

Default Re:Cheapest way to home network

Easy to just buy a palm size switch/hub and cables and that should do the job cheap!

Cheaper would be using a crossover cable between the two computers right now - you would need the switch/hub for the third.

What's the cost of a switch/hub and the cost of the cables running 50 feet or so.

[quote author=DarkAngel link=board=3;threadid=473;start=0#msg3409 date=1046208489]
    What's the cost of a switch/hub and the cost of the cables running 50 feet or so.
    [/quote]

As you can expect, brands, features and prices will vary, so switches will typically range from JM$2,000 for an 8-port to JM$17,000 for a 32-port. A 50-ft RJ45 patch cable will cost from about JM$300 ea.

Darkangel, I know this is a little late, but...

....you can buy a Home Internet Kit from Innovative systems for that has:

1) Two 10/100 NICs
    2) Two 50 ft crimped CAT-5 cables
    3) A palm sized hub with 5 ports and an uplink port for DSL/Cable/Wireless
    4) Lots of support software for it (drivers etc.)
    5) A bundled game

...all for 5K.

Good luck with the GoTel.

No it's not too late Xeno i have not set up the network yet, thanks for the suggestion it's just what i have been looking for, except for the 2 nic cards but i like the fact that it comes with the crimped CAT-5 cables, nice .

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=3;threadid=473;start=0#msg3663 date=1047313608]
    Darkangel, I know this is a little late, but...

....you can buy a Home Internet Kit from Innovative systems for that has:

1) Two 10/100 NICs
    2) Two 50 ft crimped CAT-5 cables
    3) A palm sized hub with 5 ports and an uplink port for DSL/Cable/Wireless
    4) Lots of support software for it (drivers etc.)
    5) A bundled game

...all for 5K.

Good luck with the GoTel.
    [/quote]

Is that an Internet Gateway in that package? All that for JA$5,000? That's not bad at all, when last have you checked on that? Please let me know. Thanks.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I had forgotten to check that little box down below to notify me when someone had responded. (Wish there was an option here that did that by default). Anyways...

...Yes the price still stands. It's probably cheaper now still. I got this package to wire my home ADSL network for myself and family. So we all use one internet connection.

odsamuels, yes, an internet gateway package comes with it. But I personally found that I had to upgrade it to run properly with Windows Xp. If you want a really good gateway though, get Wingate. That's what I'm still using. Powerful package.

In case you're wondering about the hub, is the Linksys brand, - very good for home small scale networking. There is also an 802.11b (wireless) package at Innovative systems. But If you have concrete walls in your house, forget it. Also, that one is a tad more expensive. Getting closer to 7 and 9k.

The NICs are immediately recognized (and automatically installed) by WinXP. You get very nice 100mbit performace accross the network. Heck, I've even burned stuff off my bro's machine from across the network and vice versa at 32x. Hows that for performance?

What I did was simply to route my ADSL connection to the uplink port on the hub, and then use the two cables included in the package to connect both machines. Works beautifully. Each cable is about 50 ft. Especially for our gaming purposes.

Call them and check it out. You'll be glad you did.

Use a HPNA 2.0 spec. No need to run new wires. Or go with a wireless solution.