Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Installfest 2004 - July 10th 2004

igodit Guest

Default Linux Installfest 2004 - July 10th 2004

Default Re:Linux Installfest 2004 - July 10th 2004

sounds good.....i will definitely take the opportunity......to check out what linux has to offer...
    what will the format of the program be like..

igodit Guest

Press Release

The Jamaica Linux Users Group 2nd Annual InstallFest

The Jamaica Linux Users Group today announced an open invitation to the community at large to attend their second annual "InstallFest". The event is a volunteer-run project in collaboration with the Jamaica Linux Users Group, based at University of Technology.

The goal of the event is to showcase the Linux operating system: a very robust, easy to use, flexible, and free operating system that runs a very wide range of applications on many different types of computers. This includes everything from spreadsheets on laptops to large network servers and supercomputing applications. The event will be held in the -- on Saturday, July 10th, from 10AM to 6PM. Setup will begin at 8AM.

Linux is an operating system, a type of computer program that controls the application programs that run on a computer, in much the way Microsoft Windows controls spreadsheets or word-processing applications that run on a PC. Linux has been developed by an International team of computer programmers, over the Internet, led by Linus Torvalds. Torvalds created Linux while he was a student in Finland. Over the past 9 years, developers from almost every country in the world have contributed programs, documentation and testing to the development of Linux. This massive effort has created a computer system thought by many to be more reliable and more flexible than those produced by traditional proprietary approaches.

Exhibits will demonstrate the ways Linux can be used in "back office" applications such as web, electronic mail, and database servers, as well as file and print service for networks of Windows and Macintosh computers. Other demonstrations will show Linux on the desktop running word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and graphics applications. Members of the public are welcome to bring their computers in. CDs of Linux distributions will be given out, with people on hand to help with the installation. "Test Drive" computers running Linux, as well as support by Linux for existing Windows, Macintosh, and DOS applications will also be demonstrated. Local support resources, including JALUG members and consultants such as DMC Consultants, ltd. will be available to answer questions. Local and regional companies, such as D3 Technologies ltd., Intcomex, IBM, TechNews, Tech Jamaica, Emoquad and LPI (the Linux Certification body) have been invited.

JALUG is a group of Linux users and enthusiasts. Monthly meetings offer members opportunities for support, networking, and socializing. More information about JALUG can be found on the Internet at http://www.jalug.org

The event will be held in the -- on Saturday, July 10th, from 10PM to 6PM. Setup will begin at 8AM.
    You probably mean 10am to 6pm? You need to update your Press Release ;D

igodit Guest

[quote author=RobyG link=board=8;threadid=4671;start=0#msg43247 date=1087655139]
    You probably mean 10am to 6pm? You need to update your Press Release ;D
    [/quote]
    Thanks!

I wuz at last year's Fest it wuz great...judging from the look of this year's Fest I can tell it's going to B a whole lot greater...(especially with all them sponsors)

Was there last year too, leanrt a few stuff, naa forget mi cd's this time though, and would advise the rest of you to either:8, going to carry my test smoothy so tech_guru can hewlp me with Dansguardian

Based on the number of enthusiastic people that are working on this year's installment of the Installfest, we should have a good showing and a fun time as well.

Here are a few highlights to note;

(1) The Jalug-Utech Chapter will be innaugurated at the installfest. I hear that students and staff alike are all excited abot this event and we hope to make the best of it. Lug-Utech Chapter, once up and running will be doing som very interesting open source projects. I hear Clustering being mentioned at the top of the list.

(2) LPI Exams: I just spoke to LPI and have the numbers Jamaica offcially has NO LPI certified personell. Two people have passed the LPI-101, but none have passed the LPI 102 to become a Level I LPI.

I want to see as many people that can afford the $1500 to try and take the LPI exams. We are offering the exams at an %80 discount. Even if you think that you may not be ready, take the exam to see what kinds of questions will be asked. You never know! You may very well pass.

(3) Tutorial sessions: We will be delivering Tutorials and hands on sessions in LAN system deployment using Open Source and also Dekstop configuration, to do all the things you need to effect an effecient desktop. We will also have an open session for whatever topics you may want to see.

(4) Our sponsors have logged on and food and refreshments will be provided (free). Registration is $100. You can't get a better deal than this. registration information will be posted on www.jalug.org in a day or so.

We still are in need of volunteers, so please contact me donavon@d3technologies.com (315-0001) if you are interested.

One Love

-dac

[quote author=donavon link=board=8;threadid=4671;start=0#msg43454 date=1087838687]
    ...We still are in need of volunteers, so please contact me donavon@d3technologies.com (315-00001) if you are interested...[/quote]

What exactly will you be needing volunteers to do ?

igodit Guest

We need volunteers for:
    Installers, Setting up the network, moving equipment...