Thread: integrating active directory with asp.net

keroed1 Guest

Default integrating active directory with asp.net

i want to be able to integrate my website with active directory. so that when persons try to log into my website i check the the active directory to validate them.

can this be done?

does anyone have a sample of how the path to the active directory would look?

Quote Originally Posted by keroed1 View Post
    i want to be able to integrate my website with active directory. so that when persons try to log into my website i check the the active directory to validate them.

can this be done?

does anyone have a sample of how the path to the active directory would look?
    Im not a programmer but i notice you always ask some interesting questions. that would be very cool if someone can code that into there website. but can you imagine how insecure that would be? would you want your website to be tied into your domain controller???hmmm take it from an administrator you dont want that
    Last edited by duster; May 8, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Im not a programmer but i notice you always ask some interesting questions. that would be very cool if someone can code that into there website. but can you imagine how insecure that would be? would you want your website to be tied into your domain controller???hmmm take it from an administrator you dont want that
    oh mmmhm i see what you mean i was jus toying with the idea because i am going to be building it help desk website to replace the current call in help desk that we have at my company for internal customers.

and i wanted to just allow the workers to log into the website using there network id so that they dont have to try and remember another username and password.

i am also going to integrate a dynamic knowledge that will be accessible only to the person in the IT department that they can use and update as they go along.

i am still in the planning stage and looking at different technologies that i would want to use

It can be done as many off the shelf helpdesk packages tie back into Active Directory. As you will be creating an intranet website that will reduce your external access risk. By the way communicating with Active Directory can be secure, as after all Window clients communicating with AD is already secure as it uses Kerberos.

Quote Originally Posted by keroed1 View Post
    oh mmmhm i see what you mean i was jus toying with the idea because i am going to be building it help desk website to replace the current call in help desk that we have at my company for internal customers.

and i wanted to just allow the workers to log into the website using there network id so that they dont have to try and remember another username and password.

oh thats what you want. yeah if its internal users then its fine security wont be a big deal then. We use a third party for that call plumtree to accomplish that. http://www.plumtree.com/ we use plumtree portal 5.0
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    It can be done as many off the shelf helpdesk packages tie back into Active Directory. As you will be creating an intranet website that will reduce your external access risk. By the way communicating with Active Directory can be secure, as after all Window clients communicating with AD is already secure as it uses Kerberos.
    oh ok cool so do u have any sample of how the strnig to the Active Directory might look?

i found this code snippet

Code:
    public bool IsUserAuthenticated (string strAdPath, string strDomain, string strUserName, string strPassword)
    {
        DirectoryEntry directoryEntry = new DirectoryEntry(string strAdPath, string strDomain+@"\"+strUserName,strPassword);

Object obj = directoryEntry.NativeObject;
        DirectorySearcher directorySearcher = new DirectorySearcher(directoryEntry);
        directorySearch.Filter ="(SAMAccountName = " + strUserName + ")";
        directorySearch.PropertiesToLoad.Add("cn");
        SearchResult searchResult =     directorySearch.FindOne();

if (searchResult ==null)
        {
             return false; // not authenticated
        }
        else
        {
             return true; // authenticated
        }

}
    but this section
    Code:
    (string strAdPath, string strDomain+@"\"+strUserName,strPassword);
    i know all of the parameters except the Active Directory address, my network guy at my office say him not sure what that is but if him see a sample of one him would know directly how to find it and then tell me

28620899862803482534211706798 pi 101

keroed1 Guest

The solution for this is addressed here in this thread Solution