View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • C# (sharp)

22 70.97%
  • VB .NET

9 29.03%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C# vs VB.NET

Exclamation C# vs VB.NET

Which one is more popular in jamaica and world wide? Also which one is more reqiured for jobs in jamaica? And also, which one should I choose? I have a little experience In VB 6, but I want to know which one to choose for the long run.

You can have a look here
    http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/vb...difference.asp

My personal preference is C#, mainly due to the fact that it's syntax closely matches the languages that I had experience with before (java,C,C++). Haven't really done much in VB.
    28620899862803482534211706798 pi 101

vb is a beast... but since u neva coming to programming with vb6 practices then its ok. C# and VB.NET are almost equivalent in function/capabilities.

ur choice is best depended on by what languages u most familiar with... for most university taught programmers that will be c/c++/java/php/javascript - they flow right into C#.

my preference is C#, but i use VB.NET at work
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

I prefer C# only because I come from a C/C++/Java background, but I see a rationale behind developing in VB. I dont think I will ever be comfortable with it, but its not that bad. Whats more important is a good programmer behind what ever language is used.

VB.NET is more popular in Jamaica than C# but in the USA C# has a slight edge over VB.NET. Technically there are no major differences between the two, anything you can do in VB can be done in C#. The only difference I can really say is that C# programmers get more pay for writing the same code and much more respect. The .NET language of choice is really a subjective preference, for example I am more comfortable with the C syntax, hence my preference for C#. I could never get comfortable with VB.NET because it feels arcane and I think the language was invented to teach non programmers programming (Yes I said it but its just one mans opinion, so don't flame me for it), because I have always seen the most inefficient code been written by VB programmers.

You can't compare two different programming languages. they both have ther weaknesses and there strengths

Quote Originally Posted by ferronrsmith View Post
    You can't compare two different programming languages. they both have ther weaknesses and there strengths
    That is the reason for comparing them. Match up the strengths and weaknesses and make your judgment.
    28620899862803482534211706798 pi 101

digimon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    VB.NET is more popular in Jamaica than C# but in the USA C# has a slight edge over VB.NET. Technically there are no major differences between the two, anything you can do in VB can be done in C#. The only difference I can really say is that C# programmers get more pay for writing the same code and much more respect. The .NET language of choice is really a subjective preference, for example I am more comfortable with the C syntax, hence my preference for C#. I could never get comfortable with VB.NET because it feels arcane and I think the language was invented to teach non programmers programming (Yes I said it but its just one mans opinion, so don't flame me for it), because I have always seen the most inefficient code been written by VB programmers.
    I agree with the part for non-programmers. it's syntax says it all.

MY preference is c#, though the VB.NET's "My" Namespace has some stuff that c# users should envy

Personally my preference is C# due to my background C/C++/Java ... Syntax related this may be true for all programmers with similar background.

Due to this you may get biased results ... the companies I am aware of that uses .NET usually cater for both types of programmers VB and C#. I wouldn't worry about which is more marketable for now because jobs for both vb and c# programmers will be around for a while.

Question is what are you more comfortable with ... I don't see myself doing fulltime vb programming ... just because of the syntax.
    ||| Knowledge is Power |||

digimon Guest

i find vb.net syntax very annoying and long

c# is very concise