Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem hosting from home

Quote Originally Posted by :+:+:+:Dr. Rokk:+:+:+:
    that didnt work... either

Arch_Angel your tip didnt work either i setup the vhost and even that didn't cut it

common ppl i know you all know whats wrong........... just get it right...
    It wasn't a tip. It was a proven instruction.

So you have gone through to setting up the NAPT entry in your speedtouch modem and forwarding port 80 in your router (if you are behind a router)?

Can I see the vhost settings you entered? Can change the domain name if you don't want everyone to know the domain address.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

even that didn't cut it
    just get it right...
    A_A,

I hope he is paying you well...

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    A_A,

A emailing him my bill as I speak.

Quote Originally Posted by :+:+:+:Dr. Rokk:+:+:+:
    I just signed up with a dynamic host company but whenever i put in my web-address in the browser my "DSL MODEM SETUP PAGE" comes up instead of my website. On my friends computer it just times out...... i presently have a Cable and wireless 256k package with the SpeedTouch 536 modem they supplied. Pls i need some help.....
    Is your internal and external domain name the same?

If your external domain name is xxxxx.dyndns.org then your internal domain name should be something like xxxxx.local or anything else aside from your external domain name.,

To get your internal domain name on a Windows system, issue the following command at the prompt, ipconfig /all and look for Primary Dns Suffix. On Linux system it is dnsdomainname.

If they are the same, you need to change the internal domain name in your dhcp server or whereever you configured your domain name setting for the local machine.

Quote Originally Posted by juba
    If they are the same, you need to change the internal domain name in your dhcp server or whereever you configured your domain name setting for the local machine.
    That is a good point. As far as I know, firmware for that model, prior to the 5.4.x & 6.x releases, doesn't support loopback functionality. In other words, you can't get to your local web server using the WAN address from LAN side of the network.
    Last edited by Goucham; Jul 28, 2006 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    A_A,

how jam rock a move so . I have a website already http://www.tony7.com i just wanted to know how hosting my own website from home would feel (its just a hobbie man....).

All mi did a do a ask some techie fi help mi never mean nuttin by the statement mi mek mi hope no body never tec offence to it . mi appreciate di help weh mi a get from unu. whos to tell di table must turn and mi hope mi can assist unu wid unu problem when dat time comes.

No the internal domain name is not the same as the external domain name..................
    Last edited by :+:+:+:Dr. Rokk:+:+:+:; Jul 28, 2006 at 11:57 AM.

I spent a little more time on this today. According to this http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch536v5/Apache.htm , I would need either a static IP address or a different router for this to work. This site http://www.portforward.com/default.htm has been a useful resource.

Just our of curiousity and just in case www.PortForward.com is wrong, has anybody been able to host using the Speedtouch 536 v5 with a dynamic ip address?

Quote Originally Posted by creativepragmatic
    I spent a little more time on this today. According to this http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch536v5/Apache.htm , I would need either a static IP address or a different router for this to work. This site http://www.portforward.com/default.htm has been a useful resource.

Just our of curiousity and just in case www.PortForward.com is wrong, has anybody been able to host using the Speedtouch 536 v5 with a dynamic ip address?
    Have you read this thread you're posting in? Just wondering because I thought we covered this already.

The inside ip address used in the NAPT entry should be 10.0.0.1 by default. That's the ip of the speedtouch modem/router and it doesn't change. The port is whatever port you want to open up. Outside ip is 0.0.0.0.

Quote Originally Posted by creativepragmatic
    ...has anybody been able to host using the Speedtouch 536 v5 with a dynamic ip address?
    In a word "yes".

Ok, lets take this from the top. Forgive me if this is all well traveled territory but I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Your dynamic DNS entry is simply telling the world what IP address you were assigned when your ADSL router started up. To that end, you can tell it is working by comparing your ADSL IP address with the one that is returned when you do a name server lookup on the domain name you chose when you signed up for your DynDNS service. All this is doing is making it easier for the world to find your server not necessarily connect to it. Allowing connections to your web server is the domain of the router.

C&W ADSL routers are configured to use Network Address Translation (NAT) by default. The allows multiple machines to share a single IP address but unlike when you are connected directly to the Net, steps need to be taken in order to expose a server to the outside world; you need a way to direct traffic from your public IP address to the private IP address where the server resides. Enter port forwarding.

Port forwarding allows you to instruct your router to redirect incoming traffic of a particular type to a device on your private subnet. The semantics change with different SpeedTouch incarnations but as was pointed out earlier, you will need to create a NAPT entry in the router to forward port 80 traffic to the private address of the server. To test that the router has opened the port you can use an external port checker, to check port 80 (ShieldsUp at http://www.grc.com comes to mind.)

Keep in mind that all port forwarding does is maps a WAN port to a LAN port. It is then up to you to make sure that firewall software, local to that machine, is not blocking traffic and the web server is configured to answer requests from the outside world.

[ That concludes the pre-amble ]

Now we come to your specific configuration. From your description it sounds like you have a Linksys router w/wireless capability. What model is it and how is it connected to your network? The differing IP addresses you mention leads me to believe that you have enabled the connection sharing on both SpeedTouch and LinkSys. Is this assumption correct?
    Last edited by Goucham; Aug 2, 2006 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel
    Have you read this thread you're posting in? Just wondering because I thought we covered this already.

The inside ip address used in the NAPT entry should be 10.0.0.1 by default. That's the ip of the speedtouch modem/router and it doesn't change. The port is whatever port you want to open up. Outside ip is 0.0.0.0.

Yes, I have read the thread from beginning to end on more than one occaision. Before I set the NAPT entry suggested above and previously, attempting to connect to my current dynamic IP address takes me to the login prompt for the Speedtouch 536 gateway (10.0.0.138 locally) where I can login and change settings on the modem but my goal is to get it to jump to my Apache Server homepage instead.

When I make the NAPT entries suggested above, Firefox returns a 'Problem loading page' error.
    Last edited by creativepragmatic; Aug 2, 2006 at 11:10 PM.