Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem hosting from home

Default Problem hosting from home

I just signed up with a dynamic host company but whenever i put in my web-address in the browser my "DSL MODEM SETUP PAGE" comes up instead of my website. On my friends computer it just times out...... i presently have a Cable and wireless 256k package with the SpeedTouch 536 modem they supplied. Pls i need some help.....
    Last edited by :+:+:+:Dr. Rokk:+:+:+:; Jul 20, 2006 at 02:21 PM.

Which webserver u using?
    You might need to forward outside traffic to port 80 of ur webserver.

10.0.0.138 -> Advance -> napt -> inside addy (ip of ur pc/webserver: 80)
    outside addy (0.0.0.0:80)

i tried hosting from home, but it would not work. One problem was that my dsl had a static IP. the program that i used needs a dynamic IP. dont know why.
    Praise Ye JAH

I have been having a similar problem. I also have a 536 connected to a Linksys WAP with a Red Hat Enterprise Server that I use for storage. I didn't get any further than Dr. Rokk. I signed up for DynDNS' free Dynamic DNS service and it works from my my local network but not from other ip addresses. Does anybody know whether it's the Speedtouch firewall that is blocking port 80 or is it CWJ blocking port 80?

Virus, I thank you for your insight. I'm not sure if I should be forwarding outside traffic to my WAP and then forwarding from the WAP to the server of if I should set the Speedtouch NAPT to go directly from the router to the server. I have not been able to get either to work.

Quote Originally Posted by creativepragmatic
    I didn't get any further than Dr. Rokk. I signed up for DynDNS' free Dynamic DNS service and it works from my my local network but not from other ip addresses.
    Just curious, what firmware are you all using on the 536? I know that some of the earlier revisions, pre v5.x, were occasionally spotty when it came to port forwarding.

As long as the [SpeedTouch] router can see the internal IP address you should be able forward data to it. The firewall could be blocking [external] access but the built-in templates are usually pretty forgiving.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Goucham.

I am using version 5.2.7.19.0.

Since my last post, I used my Linksys WAP's Port Range Forwarding page (under Applications & Gaming) to route to the server. Now, on my local area network, when I enter 10.0.0.1 (the address the Speedtouch DSL modem assigns to the Wireless Access Port) into a browser URL text box, it takes me to the Apache HTTP server test page so that's a positive step. Here are the Linksys Port Range Settings if they are helpful to anyone:

Application - Web Server
    Start - 80
    End - 80
    Protocal - Both
    IP Address - 192.168.1.104
    Enable - checked

Goucham, since 10.0.0.1 is assigned by the DSL modem, from here it should just be a matter of forwarding from the gateway to 10.0.0.1. As for the router blocking external access, I had forgotten that firewall settings can be adjusted via the template file on the modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Which webserver u using?
    You might need to forward outside traffic to port 80 of ur webserver.

10.0.0.138 -> Advance -> napt -> inside addy (ip of ur pc/webserver: 80)
    outside addy (0.0.0.0:80)

virus.... i use apache (2.something) anyway that tip you gave me never work. the only thing i notice is that the modem page stop comming up but the browser still timed out when i enter my address.

Goucham... the speedtouch modem tells me that the firm ware is up to date (version: 5.2.7.19.0)

Last edited by :+:+:+:Dr. Rokk:+:+:+:; Jul 27, 2006 at 05:25 PM.

Well the only other thing i did when i set up mine is to set the DNS of the modem to whatever i chose on DynDNS.org

e.g
    URL > http:/test.dyndns.org
    Modem > Adv. > DNS > DNS server config (second tab) --> dyndns.org (domain name)

I had recently done this myself.

- Signed up with a dynamic host company.
    - Did as virus said and created a napt entry in the modem to forward traffic to port 80. Am using a Speedtouch 536.
    - In my router, it had the option to forward traffic on port 80. So I enabled that.
    - Last but not least, I had to set up IIS to accept connections from the dynamic domain I created. Open IIS. Right click on your website and select Properties. In the Website tab click the Advanced button. This will open the Advanced Multiple Website Configuration. Click the Add button to create a new identity.

IP Address: All Unassigned or the current ip address of your pc/server.
    TCP Port: 80
    Host Header Name: The dynamic url you created. example: myweb.dyndns.net

And that was it.
    I did this for IIS 6 on XP Pro. I'm not so sure for Apache. I believe for Apache you will need to create virtual hosts for your dynamic domain you created. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

What I do find is that I can't test my dynamic url from the same computer. It times out. Have to ask a friend to check it for me, and it loads for them. So I stick with use localhost or the local domain name I gave for IIS.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Well the only other thing i did when i set up mine is to set the DNS of the modem to whatever i chose on DynDNS.org

e.g
    URL > http:/test.dyndns.org
    Modem > Adv. > DNS > DNS server config (second tab) --> dyndns.org (domain name)
    that didnt work... either

Arch_Angel your tip didnt work either i setup the vhost and even that didn't cut it

common ppl i know you all know whats wrong........... just get it right...
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jul 28, 2006 at 02:12 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts