Thread: 3d Studio Max Vs Maya

Red face 3d Studio Max Vs Maya

There are two highly recommended 3d Development Software.

What I have found is 3ds Max is more known in the gaming world while Maya is more recognized in the movie industry. In my eyes I find both software equally matched all round. My preference ,however, lies with 3ds Max.

Please share your opinion.

yeah I would agree with u with what little knowledge i have on them

I seen the movie clip of maya in hollow man and a couple other movies that I forgot

I remember that 3d studio max has a very good support for exporting data to games. This was a while back so the newer versions of both sotware should be much enhanced. Back then, I preferered neither. I used StudioTools then and AutoCad3d.

Alias Wavefront makes Maya and StudioTools, but I found the latter much easier to use. Autodesk makes 3dsmax and Autocad3d. I could open models of houses from Autcad3d in a viewer (or game) and go on a vitual tour which was a cool even though that was not the main feature of Autocad3d.

My review is long before they started to do alot of facial expression in models and soft body physics. ie before Shrek
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

i used maya once and got a serious migraine man way too complex for me jus out of curiosity do u think we could prob put our minds together here and prob make a little stick man film what u say people

who knows we could prob get rich from this lol

i think i have a copy of maya as well

darn the net is sweet jus saved me a bundle of money on buying software

whats the market value for them apps anyway
    Dont hate ma game we all here for the same reasons,We here to get tha green paper throughout all seasons.C.R.E.A.M

3ds Max 8 is going for about US $3,500
    while
    Maya 7 Complete is for U.S. $1,999
    Maya 7 Unlimited is for U.S. $6,999

Maya unlimited has a few more features/effects not available with maya complete such as:
    Maya Fluid Effects
    Maya Cloth
    Maya Hair
    Maya Fur
    Etc.

3ds Max had problems with fur and cloth before v.7

I am a newbie to these apps so I am still into modelling objects for now then I can move over to character animation and last but not least lip sync. It will be very challenging being self-taught.

I recently acquired the 3ds max 7 bible .. very resourceful.

we could prob put our minds together here and prob make a little stick man film what u say people
    Can't say that I do not have a passion to do that ... even more ... incoorporate the new physics that they are using now which generates the animation instead of simply playing back*

The truth is that we ALL spend the time we have on furthering our own development. No time is left to spend on other leisure projects. Don't say that this is a lie cause I never witness anything different.

What we need is a project that will really make money. Right now the tech industry is not as good as the farming industry IMO. I always wanted to develop solar energy but there is no money to start. I belive that would be a very profitable venture if it could ever happen in ja. So back to reallistically developing the tech industry. what are our options?

*Animation is typically played out, but what if you controlled the 'limbs' of a stick man by 'forces' , now imagine him kicking or running or dancing and see how it would interact more realistic with the environment. The animation would change by just changing the environment and it does not have to be played out a certain way all the time.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

yah man thas what im saying man lets do a project man

well im a basic novice anyway

didnt know maya was that expensive man and to think i can get them disc

what selling fro 60k or 120k jus a shame i cant gfet ma apps sold in ja
    Dont hate ma game we all here for the same reasons,We here to get tha green paper throughout all seasons.C.R.E.A.M

What type of project? There are various competitions held @ http://www.3dm3.com/ from time to time ... but these guys are pro's ... hoping to join the competition soon.

The power behind these apps are virtually limitless.. I'm modelling a car ATM.