Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UWI | UTECH | NCU :Which Is The Most Technologically Advanced

Default UWI | UTECH | NCU :Which Is The Most Technologically Advanced

Inspired by another thread, who's the tech-leader in Jamaica's universities. Isnt the answer clear... can one compare UTECH's tech infrastructure to UWI's.... no competition!!!

uwi all the way. i dont know much about NCU unfortunately.
    Last edited by juiceheadband; May 22, 2006 at 10:01 PM.

Ok, let the flame wars start!

Personally I can only speak for UTECH, but I have a lot of UWI friends and the things I see them do on the net regarding student administartion I dont thing they have those at UTECH and I can't speak for NCU. I really dont want to go into details cuz im feeling lazy but I think UWI seem to be better tech wise, This is coming from a UTECh graduate so don't think i'm being biased either. A lot of things have improved at UTECH since I left, I see students checking their grades online but the system seems slow and frustrating. Im not sure what else they got going at UTECH. I think some of the UTECH guys can give a better explanation. I'm really not interested in any of this though.

UTECH is so far behind UWI in IT infrastructure its sad. The ISAS thing is the worst thing to hit UTECH since community service. LOL.

TwistedPair Guest

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris
    UTECH is so far behind UWI in IT infrastructure its sad. The ISAS thing is the worst thing to hit UTECH since community service. LOL.
    Lol so true... I think if they had the final years do it as a final year project they may have gotten something far better and for free. UWI bought their current system ready made, it is being used by several universities and from what I can see its bug free. Students still get frustrated though, I have heard a lot of horror stories out of the cavehill campus, but they seem to stem from poor maintenance of the system.

Utech is getting better slowly but surely, I can't explain why the process is so slow. I always found it odd that Utech never practiced any of the principles that they taught in class.

Well let me talk a lil about ncu's infrastructure. Firstly they got a website lol. and yeah students can check their grades and sign up for classes and pay online and check their account balances, but i only know as much as helping my friend sign up on the site for a new semester so i really can't debate with the uwi vs utech vs ncu. I'm just puttin a lil info about ncu out there. Peace!
    Cel#4230348
    Email: dean.powell1@gmail.com

UWI representing to the fullest! Best IT infrastructure in Jamaica and maybe the region as far as institutions go. Sure there may be room for improvement, but still far better than the others

Online course material
    Registration
    Bill Payment
    Master Yoda:"Strong with the force TechJamaica is"

Talking

i thought UTECH was better....cuz i thought they majored in I.T.

now i'm hearing UWI is better

Ok guess i'll be going to UWI then....... anyone against this?
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MBoard | AMD Phenom II x4 920 | ZALMAN 9700 CPU Cooler | G-SKILL 4GB DDR 800 Dual Channel Memory | WD 250GB & 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA HDDs | XFX 5870 1GB | Corsair 650W Single Rail PSU | Samsung SATA DVD-RW | Samsung T260 26" Monitor | MITSUMI Floppy Drive w/ Digital Card Readers | Thermaltake Armor+ FULL Tower Case

might sound ironic, but personally utech has the better IT program, if not the best in Jamaica. But UWI has much better facilities and nfrastruture.
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

Smile

Well, I can't speak for NCU! I, however can speak about UTECH and UWI!

Ok, here goes: I have friends at both UTECH and UWI. The friends that I have at UTECH say that they made a good choice for doing their computer degree, as they are able to do the degree on a technical and a hands-on experience! Some of these people are good IT personnels, that is, who can program well, etc and are glad that they choose UTECH over UWI.

Ok, for the UWI persons. My friends say that it wasn't wisest decision on their part to do their computer degree over there. I even spoke to a male friend the other day, and he was complaining that UWI doesn't have the same hands-on experience as UTECH does, they mainly go to class and get notes and their basically to fend for themsleves and thread water basically!

That's my two cents, hope I didn't offend anyone or anyone lost ratings for me!
    Last edited by Jamaican_diva; May 22, 2006 at 10:17 PM.
    "I don't procrastinate! I just manage my available time in an inefficient manner!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican_diva
    Well, I can't speak for NCU! I, however can speak about UTECH and UWI!

Ok, here goes: I have friends at both UTECH and UWI. The friends that I have at UTECH say that they made a good choice for doing their computer degree, as they are able to do the degree on a technical and a hands-on experience! Some of these people are good IT personnels, that is, who can program well, etc and are glad that they choose UTECH over UWI.

Ok, for the UWI persons. My friends say that it wasn't wisest decision on their part to do their computer degree over there. I even spoke to a male friend the other day, and he was complaining that UWI doesn't have the same hands-on experience as UTECH does, they mainly go to class and get notes and their basically to fend for themsleves and thread water basically!

That's my two cents, hope I didn't offend anyone or anyone lost ratings for me!
    That part about UWI. CS20R- Analysis of Algorithms and CS20S-Discrete Mathematics are killer courses....to amke it worse...theya re compulsory. I loved Digital Logic and Computer Architecture though.

I think UWI trains managers and Utech trains field workers. Sorry but it's the truth. Utech people will get jobs easier because there are more jobs at their levels...but they will find it hard to move up to managerial positions.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate