Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux replacing NT/2000

Default Re:Linux replacing NT/2000

Ok fellow techies, here is the latest. I had to install RH on a different machine yesterday due the first server developing a hardware problem. Seems it has defective memory so I am trying to find some replacement chips (3.3V 64MB DIMM) if anyone has any that are working and not being used, send me IM with the price and contact information and we'll see if we can work something out.

In the mean time, the other machine has been setup and the instal lwas again successfull thanks the the LCIP. I am going to setup the other machine as a workstation as soon as I get some RAM so I will have two machines to work with.

Ok, now I have manages to weasel a copy of Lindows so I am going to play around with that as well but right now I want to dive into the networking aspectLinux and have a couple of questions:

1. Does Linux have an equivalent to the Windows Network Neighbourhood?

2. What are the steps I need to make to enable the Linux machines to see the NT servers and vice versa? Is this where Samba comes in?

3. Can the network settings be managed from one of the gui's or do I need to use the command line?

4. Can ALL Linux functions & services be managed from the GUI? (I can hear the exasperated sighs at that one : ;D no to mention the shaking of heads : ;D)

I am onpause until I get some ansers to these questions. Anyone know of any good websites for Linux newbies?

Does Linux have an equivalent to the Windows Network Neighbourhood?
    Linux has a product called Samba www.samba.org that allows your Linux machine to be a Windows domain controller or member server. It also allows your Linux box to connect to a Windows share.

If you use Samba as a server, your Linux box will appear in network neighbourhood along with your Windows machines.

Can the network settings be managed from one of the gui's or do I need to use the command line?
    GUI tools such as SWAT and Webmin exist but I recommend doing the whole thing from the command line since this gives you much greater control of Samba.

Can ALL Linux functions & services be managed from the GUI?
    The vast majority or all of the functions that control the machine's settings can be done from the GUI. Things like setting the I.P. address, configuring internet access, etc.

A knowledge of the command line is necessary for configuring server programs such mail, instant messaging, etc. since this involves editing text files.

I recommend going to www.samba.org and having a look on the section entitled "Documentation". There are some good articles there.

[quote author=cmagnus link=board=8;threadid=1874;start=15#msg20357 date=1066142395]
    Ok fellow techies, here is the latest. I had to install RH on a different machine yesterday due the first server developing a hardware problem. Seems it has defective memory so I am trying to find some replacement chips (3.3V 64MB DIMM) if anyone has any that are working and not being used, send me IM with the price and contact information and we'll see if we can work something out.

In the mean time, the other machine has been setup and the instal lwas again successfull thanks the the LCIP. I am going to setup the other machine as a workstation as soon as I get some RAM so I will have two machines to work with.

Ok, now I have manages to weasel a copy of Lindows so I am going to play around with that as well but right now I want to dive into the networking aspectLinux and have a couple of questions:

1. Does Linux have an equivalent to the Windows Network Neighbourhood?

2. What are the steps I need to make to enable the Linux machines to see the NT servers and vice versa? Is this where Samba comes in?

3. Can the network settings be managed from one of the gui's or do I need to use the command line?

4. Can ALL Linux functions & services be managed from the GUI? (I can hear the exasperated sighs at that one : ;D no to mention the shaking of heads : ;D)

I am onpause until I get some ansers to these questions. Anyone know of any good websites for Linux newbies?
    [/quote]

I am going to assume that you installed RH9.0

1) Yes. You can check out LinNeighborhood http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/
    LinNeighborhood is free software under the terms fo the GNU General Public License for browsing M$ machines and mounting SMB filesystems. It basically is a gui wrapper to your smb functions.

2) Yes.

3) Yes and no. Yes you can use a gui and no, you do not have to use a commandline. No, the gui will not give you all the cool powerful options as the cl.

4) NO, NO, and NO. Then it would be windows-like.... ;D

Good websites for linux "newbies" ....
    http://www.jalug.org/
    linuxquestions.org
    groups.google.com (almost every question has been asked here... about half of em answered ;D)

Ok, I am now on the Samba website reading up on the application and I have a stupid question. Can I make a Samba machine a BDC on an NT4 domain?

Can I make a Samba machine a BDC on an NT4 domain?
    No you can't. There is no way for Samba to be a BDC on a NT 4.0 domain or to be one of the domain controllers on a Windows 2000 domain. See http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...html#id2875368 This is the official documentation of the people who developed Samba.

You can only get a PDC/BDC logic using two Samba machines.

With Samba 2.x there was a complicated way to use two Samba servers as a PDC and BDC. It involved using rsync to synchronize the password files on both machines.

Samba 3.x makes the PDC/BDC logic a whole lot easier by using LDAP to authenticate users. LDAP is the lightweight directory access protocol. It is a way to store infomation such as user names and passwords in a directory.

Active Directory is an example of LDAP. Microsoft customized the open protocol to suit its needs.

LDAP, like many databases, allows you to replicate data from a master database to a slave database. Therefore users will update their passwords and other user info. on the master LDAP server and the updates are sent to the BDC using LDAP's native replication functionality.

One of the cool things you can do with Samba is to set it up as a member server on a domain. You can configure it so that it allows the Windows domain controller to do authentication.

In other words, you can set up a Samba member server so that users that are authenticated by the Windows domain controller automatically have access to specific shares on the member server. This is how you would set up a Windows NT/2000 member server.

Matronyx,

This LinNeighbourhood software looks interesting. I will take a look.

[quote author=jamrock link=board=8;threadid=1874;start=15#msg20507 date=1066241401]
    Matronyx,

This LinNeighbourhood software looks interesting. I will take a look.
    [/quote]
    Iv'e used it in Redhat and it looks much better than that screenshot I pulled from their site.

I do not think it is in it's final release though.

Ok, here's the latest. I now have two machines running Linux. One was setup as a server and the other as a workstation. I am in the process of reviewing the Samba documentation and will download the files needed shortly.

So far I am playing around with the workstation using the GNOME environment and apart from the sluggish response (only 64MB of RAM in the machine) it's not half bad. I have managed to setup one of my network printers (HP 4050TN) and have been printing documents created in OpenOffice.

I am trying to get two additional 64MB chips for the machine as we speak as the performance is really quite slow but otherwise so far so good. I have designated myself as the Linux desktop guinea pig ;D as I have parked my laptop :'( during the days and will try to do all my work using the Linux workstation.

Now, I need to setup a modem on the machine. Is there a specific type of modem I should use or can I just throw on any old modem and have it work?

Oh yes, I have also managed to wrangle a copy of Lindows so I will play around with that probably starting the middle of next week and let you all know how it goes.

Peace

sorry bout that.
    got my info wrong :-X