Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux replacing NT/2000

Default Linux replacing NT/2000

I currently manage a network with a single NT Domain with servers running a mix of NT4 & Windows 2000. Of late, I found myself spending a lot of money to keep pace with Microsoft licenses schemes and I am looking for a way to cut costs.

I would like to move my critical services (file, print, Proxy, Firewall) to Linux and ultimately, replace my entire domain with one secured and managed by Linux.

Is this possible? How would I go about even planning a major migration like this? Can Linux & Windows co-exist on the same network?

Default Re:Linux replacing NT/2000

Is this possible?
    Yes it is possible and not all that difficult.

Can Linux & Windows co-exist on the same network?
    Yes. As you know, computers communicate using protocols. Linux and Windows can communicate once you configure the protocols properly.

You can use a Linux domain controller and Windows 2000/XP clients. You can add Windows 2000 member servers to the Linux domain. You can use Linux boxes to provide DNS and internet access. You can also use a Linux box as a mail server.

Most of the communication is done via TCP/IP. The Linux domain controller also runs the SMB/CIF protocol which is the same protocol that Windows uses.

Depending on the applications you need, you may need to keep some Windows member servers around. You may have an accounting application that runs on MS SQL, for example.

How would I go about even planning a major migration like this?
    • List the services that your servers now provide
    • Identify those services that Linux can provide
    • Set up a Linux box and start testing the services, one at a time. Pay special attention to issues relating to integration with the Windows machines on the network.
    • Roll out the services one at a time. You must roll out the services on a phased basis if you want to have a smooth transition.
    • Get help when you need it

JALUG (www.jalug.org) is doing a series on Linux server technologies. Attend a few sessions and see what is possible. They meet the second Saturday of each month. See the website for details.

We will be looking at setting up DNS and mail servers next. Future sessions will deal with setting up Linux to work as
    • a domain controller for Windows clients
    • a web server
    • DHCP server

Best of all, the sessions are free. ;D

[quote author=cmagnus link=board=8;threadid=1874;start=0#msg18458 date=1064262834]
    I currently manage a network with a single NT Domain with servers running a mix of NT4 & Windows. Of late, I found myself spending a lot of money to keep pace with Microsoft licenses schemes and I am looking for a way to cut costs.

I would like to move my critical services (file, print, Proxy, Firewall) to Linux and ultimately, replace my entire domain with one secured and managed by Linux.

Is this possible? How would I go about even planning a major migration like this? Can Linux & Windows co-exist on the same network?
    [/quote]
    [quote author=cmagnus link=board=8;threadid=1874;start=0#msg18458 date=1064262834]
    I currently manage a network with a single NT Domain with servers running a mix of NT4 & Windows. Of late, I found myself spending a lot of money to keep pace with Microsoft licenses schemes and I am looking for a way to cut costs.

Is this possible? How would I go about even planning a major migration like this?
    Can Linux & Windows co-exist on the same network?
    [/quote]

A resounding yes. All of the above are possible. You need to begin to get yourself familar with Linux and the various distributions. Sounds to me like Redhat would be a good place to start since you are planning to repalce your server. My humble suggestion to a migration path, is to learn about one service at a time, test it, perfect it and then implement it.

2 1/2 months I found myself in the same plight. Thanks to the JALUG team I am on my way. So far I have replaced all my fileservers, except those with specialized applications, such as custom database software, etc. I am currently testing DNS which should help with my mail server and ultimately a cenralized authenticated domain Controller, which will be a transparent point of entry - users will be authenicated once by this server, then will have access to all privilege resources.

It has been exciting and you learn alot, especially about stuff which are muffled with pretty GUI in Micro$oft. I will save you alot of money, and will make you sleep better at nights, knowing that you have more secure reliable network services on you same old hardware, withou violation of a single copyright.

You have at you disposal a cadre of willing, experience, dedicated and helpful support right at this website. Post it and we will solve it. Sometimes you will before us, lets us know so that we can all learn. Each teaching the other, no question is too trivial.

Anywayz let me shutup now.

Thanks for the information. My mind os now made up. I am going the Linux route wholeheartedly. I have a boxed copy of RedHat version 6 (I think, have to ckeck the box) is this a good version to start with?

The services I have running on the network are as follows:

WINS (to be replaced by DNS)
    DHCP
    Proxy (MS ISA server)
    Mail (Lotus Notes - Can this co-exist on a Linux controlled network?)
    File & Print services

I am thinking it would be best to start be creating a test domain and roll out the services in the domain as follows:

1. Domain Controller
    2. DNS
    3. DHCP
    4. File & Print services
    5. Proxy

I think I am also going to keep at least one Windows server around in the event that I cannot get a Linux driver for a printer or an application I need to use does not run on Linux.

Does this sound reasonable?

[quote author=cmagnus link=board=8;threadid=1874;start=0#msg18491 date=1064321180]
    Thanks for the information. My mind os now made up. I am going the Linux route wholeheartedly. I have a boxed copy of RedHat version 6 (I think, have to ckeck the box) is this a good version to start with?

DHCP
    Proxy (MS ISA server)
    File & Print services

I am thinking it would be best to start be creating a test domain and roll out the services in the domain as follows:

1. Domain Controller
    2. DNS
    3. DHCP
    4. File & Print services
    5. Proxy

I think I am also going to keep at least one Windows server around in the event that I cannot get a Linux driver for a printer or an application I need to use does not run on Linux.

[/quote]

I'd suggest you get online and download the latest version of RedHat. It would have fixed many problems, patched security holes and added better functionality than in version 6.

Also, Lotus Domino does run on Linux. When you licence the software I think you get the Linux versions too (check with IBM).

ISA Server isn't gonna run on Linux. But there's Squid proxy server (it's free too).
    You can use squid for proxying, and work with IP chains/Ip tables for firewalling.

Good luck...let us know how it progresses...

I have a boxed copy of RedHat version 6
    I would use a more recent version of Red Hat. The current version is 9.x. You can download it from www.redhat.com if you have a fast internet connection.

If not, I will see if I can arrange a copy for you.

I think that at the recent Open Source Conference, the IBM Jamaica people spoke about running Lotus Notes on Linux. Give them a call and they will tell you what you need.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I will post links to tutorials on setting up Linux as a file server and domain controller. That will probably late this evening or tonight.

You need to spend some time getting familiar with Linux. It works a bit differently from Windows.

definitely... you'll want to think about getting Red Hat 9.0 or at least 7.3.

[quote author=cmagnus link=board=8;threadid=1874;start=0#msg18491 date=1064321180]

DHCP
    Proxy (MS ISA server)
    File & Print services

1. Domain Controller
    2. DNS
    3. DHCP
    4. File & Print services
    5. Proxy

[/quote]

Other than using a more recent version of Linux, what is your progress? Where are you now? Let us know.

[quote author=Weird_O link=board=8;threadid=1874;start=0#msg19079 date=1064939256]
    Other than using a more recent version of Linux, what is your progress? Where are you now? Let us know.
    [/quote]

Have not even begun yet, trying to sort out some problems with my WAN. Soon as I start I will post my progress.

Ok fellow techies, here begins my odyssey into the workd of Linux. I plan to chronicle my experiences on TechJamaica so you all can share in my successes, my failures, my sorrows, my pains and, ultimately (hopefully ;D) me being triumphant.

Feel free to laugh, cry, curse, shake your heads at my stupidity, wonder at my genius, and otherwise marvel that I have actually got it to work at all ;D ;D.

Anyway, to the serious stuff. I have gotten a copy of Red Hat 9 and have begun the installation with most of the default (AKA the Linux Chicken Installation Plan) options. The machine being used is an IBM NetFinity 3000 configured with a PII 400, 64MB RAM, and a 4GB SCSI hard drive.

My main goal today is to simply get Linux installed and working. The following are the steps I took:

1. Boot server using RH Linux CD 1
    2. I decided to setup Linus using the Graphical Mode (yes I know, it's the chickens way out but hey, I'm new to this )
    3.Tested all the CD media
    4. Went throug the selection of the keyboard, language, & mouse type
    5. Selected Server as the installation type
    6. Deleted the Windows partition
    7. Setup a boot loader password (if anyone is going to mess up this machine, it's going to be me ;D)
    8. Manually configured the network options (IP address, network name, etc.).
    9. In the network option I setup the Linux machine as the DNS server as I do not have one presently and I plan to deploy DNS using Linux anyway. Good? Bad? What are your oppinions on this? ???
    10. Firewall configuration is set to medium
    11. Firewall rules were set to default
    12. Did the time zone setup, additional language setup, etc

Now we get to the fun part, selecting all the options to be installed. Now, coming from a MS Windows background (I can hear the groans and imagine all the eyes rolling at that one :) I selected all the dektop environments as well as the following:

Applications:

1. Editors
    2. Graphical Internet
    3. Text based internet (probably redundant but what the hell )
    4. Office/Productivity
    5. Sound & Video
    6. Graphics
    7. Games & Entertainment (Yes, it's the Windows disease rearing it's head again ;D)

Servers:
    1. Server config tools
    2. Web server
    3. Windows file server
    4. DNS Name server

System:

1. Admin tools
    2. System tools
    3. Printing support

I then sat back and waitied for the server to either get dizzy from the Linux high (forbidden substance after all, well, at least as far as Microsoft is concerned ;D), crash or, heavens forbid, it actually installs and boots properly without a hitch after being installed by a hamfisted Microsoft admin.

Install (from boot) started at about 9:15, it's now 10:00 and that packages are being installed.

I'll post again after installation is complete.

Man thats a long post. Oh well, more to come ;D