Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless..cable modem?

Default wireless..cable modem?

What kinda speeds do you guys get? And what are the costs?
    When I was down there, the cable I got, was where the cable guy would have satelites in an office, and then run cable down the streets, and then give us a split for a small price of $500 JA. How do you guys get cable internet and wireless?

Default Re:wireless..cable modem?

I see you have not been here for a very long time!

The cable industry is regulated and there are licensed operators with specific zones in which to offer services.

Internet access via cable is still not widespread yet as only a few companies offer this service to my knowledge the cost I could not comment on at this time.

There are currently a number of companies offering wireless internet access and a few more will be onstream by April 2003. The speeds will vary from 64K on the downstream and anything above that. Costs vary widely as each company has its hype about gaurantee that they offer.

In the neat future we expect the see some levelling of the market ... until then we watch what is happening closely.

Right now the only provider offering cable broadband is SpeedNet and their rates start at US$75/mth for a single machine. The link below has details on their rates and features. Their coverage is limited to two cable providers, Entertainment Systems and Omni.

http://www.speednet-jm.com/services_details.htm

I was there in April this year, the cable provider in my brother's area, had a little office, with dishes all over the property, that went to a room, that had amplifiers splitters all the works, and then ran to people on the streets.
    How do the providers you guys mention get the cable?

Might I ask where in Jamaica that is?

The way you explained it at first sounded like the "old-time" setup. Now that you've re-explained it, I guess that's how you'd describe most of the present operators except that most have offices with the equipment.

Right now it's only SpeedNet offering cable broadband via two existing cable companies. They provide the bandwidth from their system which is connected to the cable companies' cable network.

Soo really and truly, it's a satelite internet connection, because the cable operaters get the stations via satelite.
    This was in Trelawny-Duanvale, near Falmouth.
    I am actually pleased with the cost of the cable service, compared to C&W's unbelievable rate of $90 US for 256 k, disgusting in my opinion.

C&W's service is more accessible than Speednet's at this point in time so to some individuals and companies there is no choice . In time when the cable Internet service becomes more accessible then we can assess the situation better.

Remember also that cable's bandwidth will vary with user traffic, ADSL's bandwidth will remain relatively constant.

It must be pointed out at this junction that not only is CWJ service more accessible to most persons right now it is also most reliable (cry as we may about the bad of CWJ).

torontonian's description sounds more like a setup for TV cable and not internet. description sound like nuff of the illegal TV cable operators in portmore and such. i didnt know these illegal operators had the means to provide internet as well as tv cable