View Poll Results: Which Internet access device do you think is best suited for the typical Jamaican?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

Thread: Preferred Internet access devices for Jamaicans.

Default Preferred Internet access devices for Jamaicans.

Please select the Internet access device type and connection bandwidth combination that you think the typical Jamaican would go for.

Default Re:Preferred Internet access devices for Jamaicans.

Chris,

Perhaps you need to define the typical Jamaican... eh?
    What are the characteristics of such a person?

All said and done in my view the typical Jamaican (Computer User) has a comp at home and send emails and browse a bit for start... but after getting into it a bit they tend to want faster access....

What I have in mind is the typical Jamaican consumer, which is basically the average person "on the street" so to speak. This group would of course include technically and non-technically inclined persons.

In that light then it would be a toss between pc with dialup and with broadband. The vast majority will be dialup with the technically inclined of the lot going for broadband.

Yeah, but I think the "average" Jamaican in need of 'net access need only a simple, cheap device like a WebTV set-top box with cheap bandwidth (dial-up). Remember, this is for the "average" Jamaican, there will be those Jamaicans with above average and below average needs.

Yes the average group will have a ranging needs! the device to used access is where I differ.... then again I am pretty ignorant in terms of the cost of these devices (WebTV) at the moment...

Do you care to inform me..? There was an article a while back about a company that was offering WebTV services here does anyone remember that or can anyone say if they are still up and "alive"??

I don't have prices for these WebTV type devices because I don't know of any local companies offering them. The model which I had in mind is that an ISP would typically bundle these boxes with a special low price when the customer signs up for a medium to long term contract.

I know of at least one company that had it mind to offer this type of device, but I'm not sure what's happened with that plan.

What I remember is that sometime earlier this year they had a press conference where they showed off the techonogly, even Paulwell was there I recall, guess will go do some digging to see what can be turned up on them.

I would never be so evil as to wish dail-up on anyone. Anyone useing the net deserves to be using broadband, regardless of if they're checking email or downloading pirated movies.

Neither would I CKnight, but its just the reality of the situation... I would love everyone to have broadband but of course cost is a factor !

Of course if they are downloading movies (pirated or not ) then broadband is a must!!