Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jamaican Education system on a real

Wink

Well Ghetto, youre right, the web WAS built on HTML tags but you yourself must know that things change

I know the advantages of .Net, so with these advantages, we simply through out the rest????

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Computer science (academically, CS, CSC or compsci) encompasses a variety of topics that relates to computation, like abstract analysis of algorithms, formal grammars, and subjects such as programming languages, program design, software and computer hardware.
    If that definition doesn't sound like a programmer's course then i don't know what is. Computer Science is a course that does not fit in Jamaica. There are NO resources available to move on once you have done this type of course. What we should be looking for at a TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY are courses like these:
    B.Sc. in Information Systems Security
    B.Sc. in Data Communications Technology
    B.Sc. in Software Technology.
    Just a few courses that are offered at several universities abroad

This idea of starting General in the first 2-years and then trying to specialize in some way in the last 2-years, is holding the development of persons back. UWI can continue doing Computer Science, but UTECH should be specializing. Instead of competing for students, give them more choices.

And don't think i am saying throughout courses like IT, AIT, TOC and such. ALot of these course, though "network/data comm" persons might not like(some programmers too), it is a requirement for some B.Sc. and make you a more rounded person.
    Last edited by zRo ToLeRaNcE; Jul 4, 2005 at 08:31 AM.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE
    Well Ghetto, youre right, the web WAS built on HTML tags but you yourself must know that things change
    Comptuter Science is a course that does not fit in Jamaica
    Thats a strong stament, however, remember that computer sceince provides the basis for alot of the critical and analytical thinking that we apply in our jobs on a daliy basis.
    Heroes to Mentors -

Quote Originally Posted by rodalembs
    Thats a strong stament, however, remember that computer sceince provides the basis for alot of the critical and analytical thinking that we apply in our jobs on a daliy basis.
    And so does Mathematics. People don't realize that Maths provides you with a foundation to make logical decisions. The more maths you do the more you become logical and eventually go MAD! If you don't believe me, check the brightest Physics teachers that you have (high school or tertiary). A bet you realize that them don't behave normal at all.

Anyway, computer science is a basis. That's why SOME of the course's can and are used as core courses in many programmes. I probably shouldnt have said that computer science doesn't fit Jamaica. Instead, computer science is not a course that can be exploited in Jamaica's current school and work system.
    the lesson afterwards

My opinion is : The education system is a farce sometimes, I think its vision-less and we do things to follow band wagons. We need to start educating people for lives in Jamaica keeping in mind Jamaican problems. Like for example, why is there no forensic science with criminology studies at any of our Universities, or why dont we send our cops to do a course in criminal pyschology and crime management. Instead, we teach people about stuff thats completely outside of our scope as a nation. As it relates to technology, I think we need to start fostering research in technology, because we can easily teach people to use and programme in C++ or Java etc, or to troubleshoot a computer, but no nation or group ever got anywhere without innovation and cutting edge reasearch. SO for computer science, I think we need to research more and then start companies around our research.

Quote Originally Posted by sampow
    My opinion is : The education system is a farce sometimes, I think its vision-less and we do things to follow band wagons. We need to start educating people for lives in Jamaica keeping in mind Jamaican problems. Like for example, why is there no forensic science with criminology studies at any of our Universities, or why dont we send our cops to do a course in criminal pyschology and crime management. Instead, we teach people about stuff thats completely outside of our scope as a nation. As it relates to technology, I think we need to start fostering research in technology, because we can easily teach people to use and programme in C++ or Java etc, or to troubleshoot a computer, but no nation or group ever got anywhere without innovation and cutting edge reasearch. SO for computer science, I think we need to research more and then start companies around our research.
    Where will the ....money.... come from to do this ?
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    Use the ivan relief money that no one got
    Just a woman trying to make it in a man's misguided world.
    Women dont listen,Men dont think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    Use the ivan relief money that no one got

And the dennis relief money that no one will get either
    Just a woman trying to make it in a man's misguided world.
    Women dont listen,Men dont think.

research can be done at our major universities. What do they have all those lectureres and professors for? In addition, the universities/departments must start going out and attracting corporate Jamaica in order to get financing for their research projects. I maen, why doesnt UWI/UTECH seek grants from a company like Digicel or CWJ to fund communications related technology research. Its not that much money to pay for and provide equipment for 3 or so grad students to do research in electronic technology every year you know. Every other Universities in the world does that. Get grants from private sectors. We are lacadasical and rely on the government subsidy. I hope they pull it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sampow
    We are lacadasical and rely on the government subsidy. I hope they pull it soon.

If your talking about government pulling the subsidy then you need to take a look and the new fees for UWI and UTECH.

For UWI, most of the subsidies for most - if not all - of the courses has been removed or greatly reduced. Courses have moved from 100K to 200K and more. Medicine i think is at 500K but i not sure. I just remembering the news item i saw earlier this year (like in January).

The point is that these subsidies are already being removed and nobody but the students will suffer (as usual). The schools will be fine, i mean, Students Loan+Banks+Credit Unions are giving loans so students will still be going to school but alot more will not have anywhere to go after High School.

I really don't see the research thing helping the schools to make money in Jamaica. I not saying that it not possible but where would this be applied. Universities abroad make money from during research for private companies and getting them results that they implement in their business. Universities develop cures and patents for several life changing stuff. Our universities have no choice but to concentrate on stuff that can affect Jamaica only. This is the problem that i see right now but i hope it can change.

If our universities do the research and get the money...GREAT!! But they need money to start the research. I hope corporate Jamaica is willing.

PS: Who is to say that the Universities ave not tried this method b4??
    the lesson afterwards