Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million Cell phones

Default Re:1 Million Cell phones

Seriously Guys.....don't bust the bubble of the Solid Acheivement Class.

Though we cannot discount the "fact" that there are maybe
    from a numerical stand-point there might be 1m connected
    phone.

Has anyone given thought to the free for all that will occur after march 2003. I wonder how many phone will be in circulation.. Remember our population is only ameasly "2.5m".

Correctly there Rouge.... population is now officially 2.6M !!!

March 2003 is indeed D-Day and what happens from now till then will be interesting and will be even more interesting thereafter....

I for one, will be carefully observing the players and the moves that are undertaken!!!

And don't forget .... THE REAL COSTS will come into play!!!

Well C&W is already offering $0.99/minute (GCT not incl. ) weekends until December 31, 2002. I think this is the beginning of rate changes in some shape or form.

Did you guys see the newspaper article on the OUR as to why they do not support assigning a mobile company a range of numbers??

Well it seems that in the OUR's grand plan... you should be able to change your provider without having to change your number!!!!!
    Yeah... so if you have a CWJ mobile phone with number 999-9999 you should be able to switch to DIGICEL and still maintain the same 999-9999 cell number!!!!

The article went on to state that the technology to allow this is still not mature as yet but that is the plan that OUR has for the Jamaican players!

Does anyone care to comment on this issue?

The OUR must know something that the public doesn't. They must know that the rates for all local mobile companies (present & future) will equalise in the future.

I say that they must know this because if they can't assure this will happen, then their plan to not segregate mobile numbers is nothing short of stupidity and ignorance > Face it, the calling rates vary and by being able to identify the system you're calling and the given calling rates to that system, one is able to decide whether or not to make the call. When the numbering system is confused (as it already is ), it's hard to differentiate which system you're calling.

Ok, Ok. I know some people (especially the OUR) will say that there's technology that will allow a voice prompt indicating the system to which you're calling and possibly the rates that the call will attract. Hmm... Let's think about this one :-\. This NEW additional system feature will more thna likely come at a cost. Who's cost? The users of the system! The mobile companies will have to invest additional $$ to implement this system and this additional $$ will be passed on to the users of the system > Also, the additional time & effort required to navigate the system when making a call, you know..the " please press 1 to place the call..otherwise you may hang-up to disconnect" scenario.

At the end of the day, the OUR will have undone the PNP's "solid achievement" You know...the ability for people to use one of their cellies to call themselves on the other ;D

Chris,

I guess the OUR does know something that we don't !! for by the way in which the article was carried it clearly shows that they do not see the need for differential rates to cross into another network!!!

Or is it that they know they will prevail with the court case against digicel???

What we may very well see is a "free market" with "FIXED RATES"

[quote author=Collin link=board=1;threadid=134;start=0#955 date=1033004878]
    Did you guys see the newspaper article on the OUR as to why they do not support assigning a mobile company a range of numbers??

Well it seems that in the OUR's grand plan... you should be able to change your provider without having to change your number!!!!!
    Yeah... so if you have a CWJ mobile phone with number 999-9999 you should be able to switch to DIGICEL and still maintain the same 999-9999 cell number!!!!

The article went on to state that the technology to allow this is still not mature as yet but that is the plan that OUR has for the Jamaican players!

Does anyone care to comment on this issue?
    [/quote]

It would seem that I don't give those people enough credit. Not being able to keep my number was the NO. 1 reason I did not switch providers.

I receive more calls than I make and more often than not they are business related. Associates I have not spoken to in months will at times just pass my contact info on to people looking for websites, hardware, etc.

If I switch my number I would inadvertently be throwing away thousands of dollars in revenue.

If this is the OUR's grand plan then kudos to them.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=1;threadid=134;start=15#965 date=1033070387]
    If this is the OUR's grand plan then kudos to them.
    [/quote]

I guess you don't mind calling a mobile number without any idea of which provider it's attached to and the rates that will be charged ??? In a proper system there wouldn't be differences in calling rates between providers, but I guess that Collin's on track when he suggests that maybe the OUR know that they will prevail with the case against Digicel.

Lets hope that they do!!

It will certainly mean lower call rates overall.... but the other part of the question is.... Should they set rates in the type of market (free that is) that they are trying to encourage?

Should not each provider be free to set there own rates at whatever level and allow market forces to determine when and how they change? as opposed to the OUR setting ceilings?

[quote author=Collin link=board=1;threadid=134;start=15#970 date=1033086966]
    Should not each provider be free to set there own rates at whatever level and allow market forces to determine when and how they change?
    [/quote]

Then the OUR wouldn't be a regulatory body.