Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ChatGPT

Default ChatGPT

Has anyone been able give ChatGPT a test run? What are your thoughts on the tool and impact on our lives?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

I use it for brainstorming. Sometimes the information in incorrect so you have to double check. I feel bad for the sources of the data that dont get credit. A link back to sources with more info would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Has anyone been able give ChatGPT a test run? What are your thoughts on the tool and impact on our lives?
    Be afraid.. be very afraid lol Good tool, but will be misused and end up causing problems..

AI Face apps in the wrong hands causing problems as we speak...

Quote Originally Posted by hassanvoyeau View Post
    I use it for brainstorming. Sometimes the information in incorrect so you have to double check. I feel bad for the sources of the data that dont get credit. A link back to sources with more info would be useful.
    It pulls data from multiple sources...

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Be afraid.. be very afraid lol Good tool, but will be misused and end up causing problems..

AI Face apps in the wrong hands causing problems as we speak...
    Yes agreed. I read an article where one implementation was threatening to "cancel" the user who happened to have been a code trying to hack the code. Also one has been proven to have left-leaning political tendencies. Scary stuff can happen in the wrong hands.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

I'll put it this way after testing. In two forms.

It's a tool used when I personally feel a bit lazy - or if I want to rewrite something I've done. But then comes the other side of the coin.

I've probably spoken about this section before - maybe not here - but the world has a lot of "educated fools". There are people who fall into various categories, but the ones that irk me the most include these.

1. Those who insist on being called by their title (DOCTOR).
    2. Those who can swat and pass tests.
    3. Those who delegate and don't do.

I understand that persons have taken a rite of passage through the education system and want to be acknowledged for that. I disagree that you need to be called such at every turn. You were born a Mr. or Mrs. - unless you're a member of the alphabet gang - then you could be anything. As such - your honorifics mean nothing to me. I have friends/family that have doctorates and masters - and they don't insist on being addressed as such. If in their profession someone calls them "doc" or such because they're in their work uniform/attire. Your insistence on me addressing you as such shows a mindset that I'd rather not be associated with.

I've been in classes where persons got higher marks than I did - 100% or close to it - and we end up in the same "bright sparks" group. And then others including myself have to explain to the person with the highest mark what we just did. Being able to pass a test doesn't mean they can actually do the job - or that they understand what they wrote. Regurgitating information is not knowledge.

Somewhat linked to the last one - are those who delegate and don't do. Because they can pass the exams they are able to secure supervisory or administrative positions. When asked to complete a task, it's delegated to those below. This I have no issue with when the ones above actually have the knowledge but maybe preoccupied with other tasks. I take issue when this occurs, and it can be seen in many fields.

Enter ChatGPT. Imagine people having their final papers written by this AI. Getting their passing marks and then going into the working world. Zero knowledge. Into the inferno in a handbasket.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Right now its giving a lot of inaccurate data but it sure can fool you into thinking its smart. Wrong and strong lol.

Seriously though, it is only going to get better over time. Its a tool and should be used for what it is good at, it will be abused and software is being written to detect it as it tends to output with no style or personality. HR departments can make serious use of it, potential candidates not so much.

If it does become sentient which all AI may eventually become thats a different matter and its all over for us.

@khat17, very insightful comments there. A Doctor (Medical) is different from a Dr./PhD and they really should have made that clearer in academia. I have mad respect for anyone that has completed a doctorate but I think it should have been at the end similar to all other titles, BSc. MS, etc. That would have removed all ambiguity and prevented the "Call me Dr. ..."

And now ... ChatGPT-4 has been released claiming to be 40% better at producing ‘factual responses’. This tool is evolving faster than inflation.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And now ... ChatGPT-4 has been released claiming to be 40% better at producing ‘factual responses’. This tool is evolving faster than inflation.
    For paid subscribers at the moment. Free version still at 3.5.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I recently tried this to develop questions for an audit area. The questions had to be asked specific in-order to receive meaningful responses. It will only get better.
    Confucius say..Man who fight with wife all day, get no piece at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Your task as member of the elite is to educate, no matter how hard it is.
    No one can do all their own homework all the time. That is why people communicate and collaborate on forums.