Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: FLOW launches Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    935
    Rep Power
    11

    Default FLOW launches Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi)

    Thought that this warranted a separate thread; FLOW has finally launched its Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi). According to the FAQ released on its website, FLOW has made the capability available on its network for customers who -- in addition to having LTE Sims and compatible phones -- request the feature via Customer Care or are locked into one of the Yaad and Road bundles. Voice over LTE will eliminate needless 3G fallbacks when making a regular voice call, and enable those who might need to browse and chat to do so at full LTE speed with full wideband audio call quality. Another one of the benefits of this enablement is the ability to make a call anywhere in the world at local (Jamaica) rates to Jamaican (or otherwise, depending on your plan) phone numbers using Voice over WiFi.

    FLOW currently lists a host of devices (primarily Samsung makes) as ready to use with VoLTE and VoWiFi. iPhones 8 and up (though I imagine that everything from the 6 and up should be fine for VoLTE and VoWiFi) should be good for VoLTE, with VoWiFi enablement following shortly (might be a certification issue with Apple).

    Has anyone had a chance to try either of these by any chance?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Thought that this warranted a separate thread; FLOW has finally launched its Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi). According to the FAQ released on its website, FLOW has made the capability available on its network for customers who -- in addition to having LTE Sims and compatible phones -- request the feature via Customer Care or are locked into one of the Yaad and Road bundles. Voice over LTE will eliminate needless 3G fallbacks when making a regular voice call, and enable those who might need to browse and chat to do so at full LTE speed with full wideband audio call quality. Another one of the benefits of this enablement is the ability to make a call anywhere in the world at local (Jamaica) rates to Jamaican (or otherwise, depending on your plan) phone numbers using Voice over WiFi.

    FLOW currently lists a host of devices (primarily Samsung makes) as ready to use with VoLTE and VoWiFi. iPhones 8 and up (though I imagine that everything from the 6 and up should be fine for VoLTE and VoWiFi) should be good for VoLTE, with VoWiFi enablement following shortly (might be a certification issue with Apple).

    Has anyone had a chance to try either of these by any chance?
    My phone doesn't support any of the LTE bands Flow uses, it does support VoLTE and WiFi calling though. It's an unlocked Galaxy A13 A135F DS. Whenever I put my Flow SIM in, VoLTE and WiFi calling are enabled and highlighted. Call quality is excellent and exceptionally clear. But if my phone doesn't use any of the bands Flow uses for LTE, how could VoLTE and WiFi calling work. If Flow depolys band 5 LTE 850Mhz then I would have access to LTE thus VoLTE and WiFi calling would work. I'm not sure though, Digicel has band 5 LTE. But my phone doesn't show VoLTE and WiFi calling when the Digicel SIM is inserted, Only Flow SIM. My call quality sounds very clear and smooth, compared to my old phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,141
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    As usual with local stuff - it's behind. These technologies have been around for 7+ years and have either become mainstream in some countries or other technologies are being looked into. In typical FLOW fashion - milk the populace. There is no seamless transition - for various reasons - and getting things regulated in terms of handsets in the market will take time - but people should be aware. Things have been advertised. Notices have been given.

    Anyways. It's a good technological move. Let's see how they deal with it moving forward.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    935
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    My phone doesn't support any of the LTE bands Flow uses, it does support VoLTE and WiFi calling though. It's an unlocked Galaxy A13 A135F DS. Whenever I put my Flow SIM in, VoLTE and WiFi calling are enabled and highlighted. Call quality is excellent and exceptionally clear. But if my phone doesn't use any of the bands Flow uses for LTE, how could VoLTE and WiFi calling work. If Flow depolys band 5 LTE 850Mhz then I would have access to LTE thus VoLTE and WiFi calling would work. I'm not sure though, Digicel has band 5 LTE. But my phone doesn't show VoLTE and WiFi calling when the Digicel SIM is inserted, Only Flow SIM. My call quality sounds very clear and smooth, compared to my old phone.
    That sounds about right -- IMS registration should still work even if your device is not exactly on the LTE network. VoWiFi should be able to work fine, but VoLTE will require connection to the LTE network for sure. My guess is that FLOW will enable LTE over Band 5 soon enough given their recent turndown of 2G. You will need to call Customer Care to enable VoWiFi and VoLTE from what it seems though, but your compatibility might come into question.

    As to your comment Khat17, I agree. VoLTE has been in active service around the world for almost a decade at this point, and VoWiFi around that amount of time too. It is by no means novel, but still good that FLOW has moved to enabling such over its network. For what I hear, this is due to their recent move of the core network to a cloud-based solution situated in LLA's Panama ops base. From what I've seen, Digicel has yet to offer same to its clients in any of its markets, and FLOW/C&W offering it only in Panama. I do believe the reason for their "call in an request" bit is due to their needing to test the solution over time. Nonetheless, it should become much more mainstream as time goes on.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    That sounds about right -- IMS registration should still work even if your device is not exactly on the LTE network. VoWiFi should be able to work fine, but VoLTE will require connection to the LTE network for sure. My guess is that FLOW will enable LTE over Band 5 soon enough given their recent turndown of 2G. You will need to call Customer Care to enable VoWiFi and VoLTE from what it seems though, but your compatibility might come into question.

    As to your comment Khat17, I agree. VoLTE has been in active service around the world for almost a decade at this point, and VoWiFi around that amount of time too. It is by no means novel, but still good that FLOW has moved to enabling such over its network. For what I hear, this is due to their recent move of the core network to a cloud-based solution situated in LLA's Panama ops base. From what I've seen, Digicel has yet to offer same to its clients in any of its markets, and FLOW/C&W offering it only in Panama. I do believe the reason for their "call in an request" bit is due to their needing to test the solution over time. Nonetheless, it should become much more mainstream as time goes on.
    I hope they launch LTE on Band 5 too, cause I really don't want to use Digicel because their network is inconsistent and very slow. I'm gett 36mbps down 5up on Digicel LTE+ with 20Mhz of Band 4 and 2. FLOW customer care hasn't a clue about VoLTE. Spoke to two reps and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They didn't even know where to check on Flow Jamaica website.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,141
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I hope they launch LTE on Band 5 too, cause I really don't want to use Digicel because their network is inconsistent and very slow. I'm gett 36mbps down 5up on Digicel LTE+ with 20Mhz of Band 4 and 2. FLOW customer care hasn't a clue about VoLTE. Spoke to two reps and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They didn't even know where to check on Flow Jamaica website.
    Was looking for a ROFL emoji and didn't find one. Ay sah. That's FLOW for you. Sorry...."This is how we FLOW" to be more accurate.

    The two networks seem to perform differently based on location and tower traffic/saturation. I've found cases where one is faster than the other. Typically for certain applications, Digicel is faster. I found FLOW more reliable for DATA. I find Digicel more reliable for VOICE. Provided your data is being used in a single location and not driving that is. If you're driving then Digicel handles both better. Faster? Depends.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Was looking for a ROFL emoji and didn't find one. Ay sah. That's FLOW for you. Sorry...."This is how we FLOW" to be more accurate.

    The two networks seem to perform differently based on location and tower traffic/saturation. I've found cases where one is faster than the other. Typically for certain applications, Digicel is faster. I found FLOW more reliable for DATA. I find Digicel more reliable for VOICE. Provided your data is being used in a single location and not driving that is. If you're driving then Digicel handles both better. Faster? Depends.
    Yea Flow never fails to disappoint, especially when it comes to customer service and the services they offer. They have improved a slight bit, but still a long way to go. As for Digicel I should be fair. And state they my area has a long standing issue with capacity and coverage from Digicel. I know Digicel provides great service in many areas across the country. If only they would be consistent all around.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •