Thread: How does Elon Musk's Starlink satalite internet work?

Default How does Elon Musk's Starlink satalite internet work?

Since Starlink is coming to Jamaica, figure this would be a good watch for you guys on how this technology works. Even if you know the basics of how satellite internet works, give it a watch, I'm sure you will learn something new.
    Some persons were wondering what the latency was like and how it can achieve low latency.

Here's how:
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Interesting stuff. All this technology to beam and receive signals from space uses a lot of power!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...r_consumption/

About the total energy consumption of a 17 cubic feet refrigerator on average per month (about 36 kWh per month). So be prepared not only for a higher internet bill but also a higher electric bill if you use this 24/7.

I plan to get one for backup purposes

I am interested to see this working in Jamaica and the applications, especially in rural areas.
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    Interesting stuff. All this technology to beam and receive signals from space uses a lot of power!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...r_consumption/

About the total energy consumption of a 17 cubic feet refrigerator on average per month (about 36 kWh per month). So be prepared not only for a higher internet bill but also a higher electric bill if you use this 24/7.

I plan to get one for backup purposes
    This high power usage during precipitation might be by design. Where there is a lot of snow, the heat given off helps to keep snow buildup off of the dish itself.

As a side note, I was contacted directly via email from someone at SL a few days ago regarding preferred currency for payment for their service. Things are happening!

Thank you Arch_Angel.

Just watched the video. Interesting science in many areas. I learnt much.
    Selfishness is the gateway to Self Destruction
    Lack of "Wokeness" is to be reincarnated as a tapeworm, whereas more awareness give rise to higher level feelings and relations with others