Thread: How does Elon Musk's Starlink satalite internet work?

Default How does Elon Musk's Starlink satalite internet work?

Since Starlink is coming to Jamaica, figure this would be a good watch for you guys on how this technology works. Even if you know the basics of how satellite internet works, give it a watch, I'm sure you will learn something new.
    Some persons were wondering what the latency was like and how it can achieve low latency.

Here's how:
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Interesting stuff. All this technology to beam and receive signals from space uses a lot of power!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...r_consumption/

About the total energy consumption of a 17 cubic feet refrigerator on average per month (about 36 kWh per month). So be prepared not only for a higher internet bill but also a higher electric bill if you use this 24/7.

I plan to get one for backup purposes

I am interested to see this working in Jamaica and the applications, especially in rural areas.
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    Interesting stuff. All this technology to beam and receive signals from space uses a lot of power!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...r_consumption/

About the total energy consumption of a 17 cubic feet refrigerator on average per month (about 36 kWh per month). So be prepared not only for a higher internet bill but also a higher electric bill if you use this 24/7.

I plan to get one for backup purposes
    This high power usage during precipitation might be by design. Where there is a lot of snow, the heat given off helps to keep snow buildup off of the dish itself.

As a side note, I was contacted directly via email from someone at SL a few days ago regarding preferred currency for payment for their service. Things are happening!

Thank you Arch_Angel.

Just watched the video. Interesting science in many areas. I learnt much.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Managed to get Starlink working two different ways,
    piggy-back using a netgear router (complete wifi redundancy using sim card) .
    That setup is then routed to a single port on my pfsense firewall and used as a simple gateway.
    The beauty of this setup is the netgear router handles any failover for the starlink/sim card.

The 2nd way is to disable the Starlink wifi router feature and assign the dynamic ip to the firewall interface.

Pretty sure you could do it differently.

Speeds top out thus far @300MB ... not bad for satellite but latency is still not what I would use for critical production links that will view that latency as "failure".
    Calm Like a BOMB

https://carlosthomas.net/blog/2023/0...nk-in-jamaica/

Not sure about backup. We don't get the options like overseas where it can be paused or moved around. Wanted to get the RV version, but not available here. Maybe they'll allow more options as things progress.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".