Thread: FLOW Jamaica sunsetting GSM by EoY 2022

Default FLOW Jamaica sunsetting GSM by EoY 2022

Alas, it slipped me this bit of news. FLOW has given its terminal diagnosis for its 2G network; this year will be the final year the network will offer 2G service. After nearly 20 years of service, GSM is now (finally) on its way out!

I know a few of you were around to see the arrival of the technology to Jamaica. What are your thoughts on its, now, final tour around the sun?

Hi thanks for posting this, I saw the announcement but the gravity of the announcement did not register until I saw this post. I noticed that you said GSM is on its way out and if you had not posted that I would not have fully understood LTE vs GSM.

I was in high school when gsm and Digicel came to Jamaica, it is crazy how time flies and how GSM led to average Jamaicans being able to have a cellphone transform their lives. With the sun setting on GSM it seems like an end of an era, an era that also saw the death of Nokia, LG, Siemens, Blackberry, Sony Ericsson, Symbian, Windows Mobile OS, Palm OS and Danger Inc.

Cheers to the past and hooray for the future!

By the way Brandysull do you happen to know the sms gateways for both Flow Jamaica and Digicel Jamaica, once upon a time it used to be 1876XXXXXXX@digitextjm.com and 1876XXXXXXX@time4lime.com

Maintaining older tech is costly, I'm surprised it took them this long to phase it out and focus on 4G now 5G.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

The question is has Digicel phased out 2G as yet?

EDGE (E) still comes up when there are data issues so yeah 2G still in full effect.